• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Driving from Miami to Orlando

Boo Boo Too

DIS Veteran
Does anyone know how long this drive takes? I have seen estimates of 4 to 5 hours?

Is the drive quite nice. What points of interest are there along the way (am thinking of a stop or two to break the drive up a bit).

Thanks,
Boo

Hi Boo Boo!!

Yep, we drove Miami to Orlando in Feb, and found it easy. Our flight landed half an hour early at 2pm and we were checking into the Hard Rock Hotel at 8.30pm, baggage retrieval, immigration, offsite car hire, drive, dinner at a service plaza and a little bit of getting lost in Orlando!! No speeding either, as the Police are quite "hot" apparantly and fine on the spot.

Not much along the way, we just followed the Turnpike, although we did try to see West Palm Beach on the way back down, and nearly missed the plane as a result!!

Boo Boo

I can only emphasize the attitude if the police in Florida.

Do NOT speed.

The police cars all have on board radar speed detectors and can register your speed whether coming towards you or following behind you.
If you ar doing even 5 MPH over the limit they are likely to stop you.
It is not pleasant being stopped by someone wearing a gun who looks like something out of "The Dukes of Hazzard" (1970s TV show).
If you are lucky and were not speeding much then the sight of a UK driver's licence and the thought of the paperwork might save you, but don't rely on it. They can give you spot fines or send you to court.

If you really feel the need to go faster than the speed limit then find the second fastest truck on the road and follow him. He will have CB and radar detectors on board, and if he slows down then you slow down as well.
this is why it takes so long to get from Miami to Orlando.

ATB
Jimmie L
lancaster

Florida police must be used to us speeding Brits, that's probably why they have so many patrol cars on the road...

Thanks for the warning, but we are very used to driving in the US (including their adherence to the speed limit, you can most often turn right on a red light and I worked out what a "xing" is - oh I am far too literal some times...! :-)).

I think this is warning is a very valid thing to post: it is very tempting to drive out there like it is to drive back at home (how many people do you see driving on a British motorway at 70mph - unless, of course, there is a police car around...)

Boo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter