Driving the PCH - looking for suggestions on must dos

DLfan4

Cant wait for another trip to DLR
Hello. We may have an opportunity to drive the PCH highway on our friends motorcycle this july.

We would fly to southern California and drive the motorcycle all the way up the coast into British Columbia.

Looking for some must do's along the way. Scenic places to stop for pics. Great places to eat.

Thanks

We made a mini-version of this trip southbound this summer. Absolutely stunning. We started in San Francisco, then drove PCH to Monterrey (stayed there overnight), more PCH (Big Sur bridge is back open) with stops along the way for scenery, seals (OMG so cute), and quick stop in Cambria for lunch. Finished in Santa Barbara (mostly - took some PCH and some 101 to LA) then DL obvs ;)

The Redwoods! I'm not that outdoorsy and they would never have been on my vacation list, but DD is a huge Star Wars fan and begged us to take her so she could see "Endor" so we did a Northern California trip last summer. The Redwood National and State Parks area is one of my favorite places we have ever been. If you are a big Star Wars fan and want to see an actual filming location, check out Cheatham Grove-- it is a small area off the main tourist path and just gorgeous. If you just want to drive through, you have to drive down Avenue of the Giants- it is so amazing-- but I highly recommend stopping for a night or two in the area and spending a little time hiking around. There are paths for all levels. There is an area to walk around the Founders Tree right off Avenue of the Giants if you just want a quick easy brief walk around while passing through. There are so many campy fun tourist places to stop too. We got a permit ahead of time and did the longer Tall Trees Grove hike which was amazing--- at least until to get out we had to hike back up the over a mile you have to hike down (did I mention I am not outdoorsy or a hiker)- but there are plenty of other less strenuous or time consuming areas that you can experience the beauty.

Definitely save some time for the Monterrey Bay Aquarium. It's a really great aquarium that is very focused on their specific marine ecosystem in that bay. I could spend 2 days there, but you will need at least 4-5 hours to explore it thoroughly.

Only thing I will say is to start your trip around Santa Monica, pch south of that is just driving through LA. Yes the beaches in laguna and Newport and huntington are beautiful, so maybe do that part, but drive on 405 after that area until Santa Monica.

We're planning a shortened version of this trip this summer.

Starting in LA, 1st night at Madonna Inn (San Luis Obispo), 2nd night at Ragged Point, 3rd night in the Carmel Valley just South of Monterey. We'll then drive to Anaheim and spend the next four nights at the Disneyland Hotel. The wife and I did a similar drive five years ago (LA to San Fran and a bit north), bring the kids and grandparents this time. On our last trip we spent a few days in LA and were not impressed.

Items we have on the list for the PCH include the following. Any MUST DO restaurants would be welcomed suggestions.
  • Driving thru Malibu
  • Mission in Santa Barbara
  • Morrow Bay
  • Hearst Castle (supposed to be re-opening this spring)
  • Elephant Seals just north of San Simeon
  • Pfeiffer Beach
  • Big Sur River Gorge
  • Bixby Bridge
  • Drive thru Carmel by the Sea
  • Drive thru Monterrey

Items we have on the list for the PCH include the following. Any MUST DO restaurants would be welcomed suggestions.

I can only help in Carmel, but the Lugano swiss restaurant was really tasty (not near the beach or city center, unfortunately) and I've always liked Hog's Breath Inn in Carmel as well (try the artichoke soup if they have it).

Don't miss the elephant seals in San Simeon. The best spot to see them is a viewing platform north of San Simeon just south of the Piedras Blancas lighthouse. You can't miss it as it is literally right off of PCH;
https://visitsansimeonca.com/what-to-do/elephant-seals-san-simeon/The sea otters in Morro Bay are also pretty easily accessible. There is a "raft" of otters in the harbor mouth. To get there, follow the signs like you are headed to the rock, then park on the left overlooking the harbor mouth instead. You can often times find a table set up there with a volunteer that will answer questions and has binoculars so you can see them better.
https://highway1discoveryroute.com/activities/sea-otter-spotting/If you want something kindof kitchy and fun to do, check out the melodrama in Oceano (just south of Pismo Beach).
https://www.americanmelodrama.com/I'm biased because I am a CPSLO grad, but I find stopping in San Luis Obispo is much better than stopping in Santa Barbara. Higuera Street has a ton of cool bars and restaurants. You'll definitely want to stop there and stock up on whatever you may want for the drive up through Big Sur. The drive is stunning but there's just not much along the way in terms of food and gas. Be sure and do the drive between Morro Bay and Monterey during the day. Sights are better and it is also much safer. Give yourself at least 4 hours of daylight for that stretch. Figure on stopping only to see the sights especially north of San Simeon. It really starts to get twisty and turny as you get to Monterey County (just north of the Sea Lion stop above).
North of San Francisco, beware that the drive to Stinson Beach is maybe the most stomach-churning. I got carsick just driving that stretch of road. If you are up for it there are some pretty incredible views though. Point Reyes is amazing and you don't need to go that way to get to it.

If you're going through Malibu, do check out Country Kitchen, which is right on the PCH. Delicious food is available from there. Most of it is takeaway, but there's a small seating area. Rather surprisingly it isn't that polluted either, considering the amount of traffic going past in both directions ....

If you decide to stop in Pismo Beach for a break I'd recommend Splash Cafe. Great clam chowder with crab meat on top in a sourdough bowl. Not the lowest calorie snack but tasty.

Lots of fun places in San Luis Obispo too. The Copper Cafe at the Madonna Inn is fun and the property is very interesting. Even a trip to the restroom is "fun" with how eclectic the place is themed. I believe it's been in a few movies over the years with how "weird" the place is.

If you decide to stop in Pismo Beach for a break I'd recommend Splash Cafe. Great clam chowder with crab meat on top in a sourdough bowl. Not the lowest calorie snack but tasty.

Lots of fun places in San Luis Obispo too. The Copper Cafe at the Madonna Inn is fun and the property is very interesting. Even a trip to the restroom is "fun" with how eclectic the place is themed. I believe it's been in a few movies over the years with how "weird" the place is.
Splash Cafe is so good! There's one in San Luis Obispo too, I go every time I'm there for work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter