Drop in Splash Mountain compared to drops in Tower of Terror?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just trying to compare the drops in Splash and TOT. My family has never been on TOT but my 9 year old is leading the charge in wanting to try it! :scared1: Is it similar to any other ride drop? Is it more or less intense than the last drop in Splash? I've seen some videos on YouTube but it's hard to tell what the drops are like.

Different drop and much more thrilling and random on TOT. Vertical drop versus a ride down a steep incline. Falling versus sliding. And you don't know when the fall will stop while for Splash, you can see everything and no when the drop will stop.

ToT is in a category of its own IMO. No comparison. That said it was my favorite ride and I was completely thrilled. Even more than RnR, Splash, Space, etc. ToT is unpredictable since you can't see where you are going and the entire lead up to the drop is so creepy. By far the best ride at Disney as far as I can judge. Just do it. You'll have fun. It's quick. And if not you will know the difference.

Imagine a slide... Splash is you sliding down the slide properly. ToT is you climbing up to the top of the slide and falling off, except the landing is a bit more smooth. lol

I love ToT and I love Splash. I don't hesitate on ToT but on Splash I am always finding myself worried the entire ride about the drop. LOL I prefer the in the dark up and down then looking over the edge !

I love Splash, and the drop doesn't bother me at all. ToT, not so much. I rode it once, never again. There are multiple drops, and they are random. You never know how many there will be, or how far you will drop on each one. I can't do it!

ToT is being pulled straight down then shot back up over and over. You can't see how far you're dropping and it's directly down so it's not at an angle like Splash, so I'd rate it a lot more intense.

This is the main difference. At Splash its all done by gravity on an incline on ToT they literally yank you down faster than you would with just gravity to give you a more intense "fall".

One other thing to mention is some kids may find the portion of the ride before you move into the "elevator" to be scarier than the drops.

Oh and it was my then 4 year old DN's favorite ride.

Last edited:
The two are hard to compare. I think that the Splash Mountain drop can be a bit more intimidating or intense than the TOT drop sequence. I have found that the buildup to the TOT drop sequence makes it seem more intense than it actually is

They are completely different. Splash Mountain is a slope and you are able to see how far you are dropping. Tower of Terror, you are basically free falling in an elevator in darkness. The only time you see how high you are is when the doors open at the top of the Tower of Terror. Personally to me, it doesn't seem like you are falling that far on Tower of Terror. It's always shocking to me to see how high you actually are when you free fall. Tower of Terror is really fun, and I would definitely give it a try.

You will have to report back if you ride ToT and let us know how you like it! ToT is one of my favorite rides, as is Splash. I love all rides, so no amount of drops/darkness/scariness can deter me. My children, on the other hand, are difficult to judge. My 10 yo son rode, and I am not sure if he enjoyed it or not. (he said yes, but his facial expressions said, maybe not) We will see if he rides again in December when we go. My 16 yo daughter, would not ride when we went 2 years ago, and I would be surprised if we can convince her next trip either. She hates drops of any kind.

Splash Mountain has an inner drop in the dark, roller coaster style, that can't be seen from outside the ride.
Splash and Tower are probably my top two favorite rides, but the drops do not feel the same. And you know when the Splash drop is over.

can I put a twist to this question, we recently just got back from WDW and didn't do Splash due to my panic of that drop. My kids scolded me that it's just like Pirates drop and frozen which i loved. IS this drop like frozen, of course longer. The Splash drop looks so steep when I was in front of the attraction. I regret not going and forcing myself to over come the fear.

can I put a twist to this question, we recently just got back from WDW and didn't do Splash due to my panic of that drop. My kids scolded me that it's just like Pirates drop and frozen which i loved. IS this drop like frozen, of course longer. The Splash drop looks so steep when I was in front of the attraction. I regret not going and forcing myself to over come the fear.

You best know your kids but based on what they told you they are liars. :crazy2:

Its not at all like pirates or frozen which are not even close to Splash.

Its not a drop, they yank you down to simulate a much more dramatic drop and they do it a number of times randomly. :scared1:

Just trying to compare the drops in Splash and TOT. My family has never been on TOT but my 9 year old is leading the charge in wanting to try it! :scared1: Is it similar to any other ride drop? Is it more or less intense than the last drop in Splash? I've seen some videos on YouTube but it's hard to tell what the drops are like.

This person i think hit the nail on the coffin on this one :cat::littleangel:

ToT is more of a psychological thrill ride than Splash. The drops are randomized, so you don't know whether the elevator is going to drop you one story, pull you up two stories, or plunge you to the bottom. On some rides, they fake you out with a quick fall and then pull you up several stories higher. In some cases, it will take you to the top and sit there for a few seconds. In others, it takes you up and drops you again before you have a chance to even catch your breath.

LOL not anything alike! Pirates and Frozen are little drops. Splash is really high! I will report back if we do TOT. We have a fp for it but I'd rather chicken out. LOL I don't think my son will let me though! I'm really curious to see if my son actually likes it. Thanks for all the responses!

ToT wasn't my favorite ride simply based on the unknown vertical drop and it occurring in the dark. My wife absolutely loved it. My son at the time was 6 and was nervous to try it, but felt a sense of relief/pride when it was over. All depends on your level of thrill seeking.

My first time on ToT, I was scared and my ToT veteran friends gave me the business, lol.
I waited a couple years and relaxed a bit and had a much better time, when we go again next year, I'll go again.

LOL not anything alike! Pirates and Frozen are little drops. Splash is really high! I will report back if we do TOT. We have a fp for it but I'd rather chicken out. LOL I don't think my son will let me though! I'm really curious to see if my son actually likes it. Thanks for all the responses![/QUOTE
We have been twice and both times I chickened out of Splash. now we are going in april and I am making myself do it. damn I road rock n roller coaster I can do this. right?.

It just goes to show that it takes all sorts in this world as ToT and Dinosaur are must do's for me. My 'nightmare' ride is Primeval Whirl. I am made to ride both sides each year, the things we do for our loved ones eh?
Oh, you mean the roller coaster of death?!? Yeah, I’ll never do that one again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter