• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dropping off rental car at Port Canaveral

I actually have 2 reservations, both picking up at TPA on 8/5 and dropping off at MCO - one on 8/9 and the other on 8/13. We don't like occupying two reservations, especially knowing the state of rental car availabilityand pricing these days. But the uncertainty around whether or not the 8/9 cruise would sail or not necessitated that.

The one dropping off 8/13 is over $700. The one dropping off 8/9 is $450. A new reservation dropping off at Cape Canaveral on 8/9 is $750.

Keeping the reservation dropping off at MCO on 8/13 and parking it at the port is actually looking like the best option (even though I agree, normally the idea of parking a rental and paying the parking fee plus the additional days on the rental for it to sit there would make no sense...but these are nonsensical times). Keeping the one returning to MCO 8/9 may end up a little cheaper ($50 - $100) but involves a lot more logistically, and wastes more time with getting additional transportation to/from Canaveral and MCO. The new reservation returning near the port ends up the most expensive and also a bit of a hassle logistically.

Those who have parked at the port ($90 for a 4-nt cruise)...do you book that through DCL? I'm not finding that anywhete.anywhere. can a spot be reserved?
No need to book a reservation for parking. Just Disney cruise line passengers park there.
When you do your online check in you will be given a Port Arrival Time. You may not show up early.
When you arrive you will be directed to an area and the porters will take your luggage. Please tip a few $$ per bag. Disney will mail luggage tags to you have these on your bags before arriving.
Once you drop off your luggage you will be directed to the garage. You pay before parking. The third floor of the garage has the walkway into the terminal. Not sure if it will be open with all the changes for covid😫 On the ground floor there is a restroom.
Here is a picture of the Port Canaveral cruise terminal
**They did construction during the covid shutdown so it’s not exactly like this
The terminal is on the left the parking on the right.
*** Things may be different because of covid testing. Some of this won’t be known until the first cruise goes out and there may be changes after that.
2C68B78F-2DA8-4790-BF0E-23FDAF31409D.jpeg

Last edited:
How much of a hassle is it? I was planning to stay at a Disney resort the night before and take the transfer bus, but now I'm looking at Four Seasons instead. We'd take the transfer bus back to the airport (crazy expensive to rent for the entire cruise), so I'd want to drop the rental car off at the port before embarkation. Is that a major hassle, or is it easy? Are some rental places easier than others? Looking at Avis (already have price quotes so price is not the issue). Do you have to use a shuttle to get to the port? Are taxis available? How long does it tend to take? We don't need to be first on the ship but I'd like to avoid a major hassle. TIA.
There are some good you tube videos showing you how far car rentals are and tips.

If you or your spouse work for a major corporation you can try to use a corporate code to book rental car. I used mine and got $35 one way TPA to the port Canaveral terminal

Thinking I am just getting a Towncar as the week rates are $500 and the one way rates add up to like $200-$250. I can just get a car for that.

I usually use Autoslash to get our rentals. Always seems to find a lower price than anywhere else (and usually goes through Priceline).

With the testing protocols in place, how difficult will it be to drop off your rental car and make your way back to the port by shuttle? I was thinking about dropping off the family and luggage first at the port, return the rental car and take the shuttle back. This sounds very difficult with the current protocols in place.

With the testing protocols in place, how difficult will it be to drop off your rental car and make your way back to the port by shuttle? I was thinking about dropping off the family and luggage first at the port, return the rental car and take the shuttle back. This sounds very difficult with the current protocols in place.

Do you need to get tested at all? They are allowing uber/lyft to the area so I would just pretend that is what you are doing.

My wife and I are fully vaccinated, but my 11 and 9-year-old will need to be tested.

I might call DCL and see if you can do the testing in your rental car without paying parking. That way you don't have to wait in a tent and if one of the kids test positive you already have the rental car and can just drive as opposed to dealing with going back to the rental car location.

We were on the 8/9 Dream and originally planned on getting two one way rentals - one from MCO to Canaveral (one day) and one from Canaveral to MCO (keeping it Friday to Sunday for 3 days). One way rentals would have been $420 total but I found a deal on Alamo the week before for $380 to keep it the entire week (8/8 9pm to 8/15 4pm). With parking fees of $85 in only ended up being ~$50 more to keep the car. Well worth it as I didn't have to drop people off or take a shuttle. Plus, if one person on the shuttle tested positive it could mess it up for everyone. It wasn't worth the risk in my opinion. My suggestion is to constantly check your rental car reservations up to the day before you leave. Prices seem to be fluctuating more than ever right now.

We were on the 8/9 Dream and originally planned on getting two one way rentals - one from MCO to Canaveral (one day) and one from Canaveral to MCO (keeping it Friday to Sunday for 3 days). One way rentals would have been $420 total but I found a deal on Alamo the week before for $380 to keep it the entire week (8/8 9pm to 8/15 4pm). With parking fees of $85 in only ended up being ~$50 more to keep the car. Well worth it as I didn't have to drop people off or take a shuttle. Plus, if one person on the shuttle tested positive it could mess it up for everyone. It wasn't worth the risk in my opinion. My suggestion is to constantly check your rental car reservations up to the day before you leave. Prices seem to be fluctuating more than ever right now.

It's supposed to be a 7-day cruise on October the 9th and we are going to Universal Studio for a few days afterward. I'll take your advice and keep checking rates. Thank you.

Last edited:
I thought I always put in Cape Canaveral but someone at Budget said you need to use Port Canaveral? Same address but rates are higher when you use Port instead of Cape. Person had said something about an extra port tax or something? Said it would be $9.95 extra if you choose Cape instead of Port. Anyone ever encountered this and what have you used? I see both on this thread. And I'm talking about picking one up after the cruise. Thanks.

I thought I always put in Cape Canaveral but someone at Budget said you need to use Port Canaveral? Same address but rates are higher when you use Port instead of Cape. Person had said something about an extra port tax or something? Said it would be $9.95 extra if you choose Cape instead of Port. Anyone ever encountered this and what have you used? I see both on this thread. And I'm talking about picking one up after the cruise. Thanks.
That is fascinating. I didn't notice that Avis has 2 locations at the same address. There is a $9.99 if you choose the one that includes shuttles for cruise ships (listed as port canaveral) on it.

Yep. $10 fee for the shuttle at Avis and Budget. This only applies for rentals that start at the port. Also if you pick the wrong one they will change it at the desk to the one with the $10 fee. I had to fight once to not have it added when we got dropped off at the rental place by my sister after a cruise we were all on.

Thanks orum and esta1701. I have a Cape Canaveral ressie now so guess I"m going to have to change it or pay the $10. I don't recall doing this in the past but it's been a few years. And I know it was fine the last time I did MCO to Port. So, like you said, just on the ones at port. So much for the "free" shuttle!

Thanks orum and esta1701. I have a Cape Canaveral ressie now so guess I"m going to have to change it or pay the $10. I don't recall doing this in the past but it's been a few years. And I know it was fine the last time I did MCO to Port. So, like you said, just on the ones at port. So much for the "free" shuttle!
It may not be a "fee" for the shuttle, but a "tax" that the port charges them to pick up passengers. If you have your own way to the location, I would think you could do the cape canaveral one. But if you are taking their shuttle, you should probably use the port canaveral one.

We've done it with Hertz, my husband dropped me and our 4 kids off at the port with all the luggage. I dealt with getting that to porters while he took the car back, he was on the next shuttle back.

We've done it with Hertz, my husband dropped me and our 4 kids off at the port with all the luggage. I dealt with getting that to porters while he took the car back, he was on the next shuttle back.
Have you done this recently with the strict port arrival times and the Covid testing? I plan on getting a one-way rental, but I'm just trying to figure out how I get the luggage and family to the port, drop off the rental car, get my kids tested, all while following the new Covid rules at the port. Maybe I'm overthinking it it is my first Disney cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter