Drops on POTC for a non-rider?

Thanks for all your helpful replies :goodvibes

I definitely plan on being honest with her. She'd never ride another ride again if I didn't tell her and she didn't like it. I have been on it before, so I have some idea of whether she'd cope. I understand that it's a very gentle ride with no height limit and even babies can ride it, but I also understand that my mum has her fears and I respect that. For her, they will definitely feel like 'drops'.

We did go on a 'boat' ride at another theme park years and years ago. It had a very short bit bigger drop right at the end, but Mum always said the little drops that were inside in the dark felt worse to her. I think when she can't see it makes her feel a bit queasy and I would hate for her day to be ruined by feeling sick.

I think POTC will be ok though because the drops are so gentle, and right at the start, so once they're done she can just enjoy the rest of the ride :thumbsup2 Thanks for the tips on putting her in the middle and back of the boat. I wouldn't have thought of that, but it sounds like it could be helpful for her.

The first few times we took DD on the ride she was only 1, and she didn't seem to notice/mind the drops. One day, near 2 y/o, we went on Pirates and she grabbed DH leg when we went down the drops. She did notice! The last time we went (just before her 3rd birthday), the drops were her favorite part of the ride. She LOVES pirates. To her they are "thrilling," and I can definitely feel the thrill of falling. I could see someone not wanting to ride Pirates because of the drops.

I'm not a drop person. POTC is at the very threshold of what I can tolerate without getting sick for the rest of the day. I wouldn't downplay the drops. I would be very honest with her and try to help her with strategies to make it more tolerable for her to try.

If she decides it's not for her I would not shame or guilt her (not that I think you would) in any way. I can't speak for everyone, but I avoid drops because they cause me serious physical pain that can last for days afterwards.

ETA - I looked up the drops, both are at 21 degrees, the first is 52' long (not high) and the second is 37'. I don't know if that sort of info helps your mom...

I agree. I can barely handle the drops. They end just as I'm deciding I can't take it anymore. The ride is WONDERFUL. And a part of me likes the drops and the idea of them. But I hate that weightless feeling with a passion. It is completely different than Soarin' - which I adore.

i rode this yesterday with my 7-month old daughter. I held onto her, but this is a ride that you can safely take a newborn on without any form of restraint. If the drops were anything to worry about, the ride would have restraints and height restrictions. The boats are similar in function to the IASW boats.

I definitely would try to prepare her for the drops though. That first one is dark and can feel like it's a lot farther than it really is if you're scared.

i rode this yesterday with my 7-month old daughter. I held onto her, but this is a ride that you can safely take a newborn on without any form of restraint. If the drops were anything to worry about, the ride would have restraints and height restrictions. The boats are similar in function to the IASW boats.

I definitely would try to prepare her for the drops though. That first one is dark and can feel like it's a lot farther than it really is if you're scared.

I'd echo this. We took our son on it at 5-months and 10-months. He didn't really notice the first time, the second time he did notice, but enjoyed it. I can totally understand your mom being apprehensive about it, and respect your being honest with her! And going to BB is great, she should love that a lot. Ask for a waterside table if you can. :)

My mom is the same. Pretty much rides NOTHING at Disneyland. She will however do Pirates. She doesn't enjoy those drops but she can 'tolerate' them :)

I'd point out to her that even the mildest of kiddie coasters have some form of lap or shoulder belts to deal with drops and curves, but that the dips in this ride are so shallow and insignificant that a company as lawsuit averse as Disney, feels like there is no need for anything to hold passengers in.

I'm not a drop person. POTC is at the very threshold of what I can tolerate without getting sick for the rest of the day. I wouldn't downplay the drops. I would be very honest with her and try to help her with strategies to make it more tolerable for her to try. .

My 17 year old is NOT a drop person.. I had forgotten that their were two drops [as you said they were not very big to me] and said their wasn't any..So she went on.. the first drop came and she FREAKED out...the second dip/drop she threw up in the boat ewwww :sick: She was done for the day.. we had to go back to the hotel. :guilty: So while the drops are nothing to me...they were a BIG deal to her, so if your Mom is not a drop person... I might steer her clear of POTC...just my opinion from experience.

Anyone willing to fly to DLR should be able to handle the drops on PoTC. I've felt turbulence worse than those drops.

The drops are VERY tame. However, my 8 year old will only go on Pirates at WDW and not DL because DL has two drops and WDW only one. Not kidding. That kid is adorable but really timid when it comes to rides.

I don't like drops either but I do love this ride! They are defiantly tolerable. My 3 year old didn't react either. My strategy for the drops is I hold tightly onto my hubby's arm and brace myself with my feet firmly on the footboard in front of my and I don't really feel anything. Sounds wierd and now I feel like a fruit loop, but hey whatever works! It would be a shame not to get to enjoy that ride!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter