• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

drowning at Castaway Cay yesterday

It sounds like this could be yet another incident? This is getting confusing, and not in a good way whatsoever.

A SECOND passenger in four days has died while vacationing on a Disney cruise to The Bahamas.

#A 56-year-old American man was discovered dead on Sunday morning onboard the ship at Castaway Cay, Disney’s private island.

#Police in Abaco are classifying it as a sudden death. The victim, who is from Cleveland, Ohio, was discovered shortly after 7am, police reported. The cause of death is not known and the matter is under investigation.

#Last Thursday, a 38-year-old New York man drowned while swimming at the cay. The man was a passenger on the Disney Wonder on a five-night cruise to the Bahamas that departed from Miami.

#Castaway Cay is a private vacation stop exclusively for the Disney Cruise Line fleet. There are trained lifeguards at the private island.

Someone on another social network site said his father had just passed away while on the Dream. No details were offered or asked for. Everyone just offered their condolences. It sounds like this may be the same person. My assumption, from the simple way it was stated, was that it was from natural causes. Very sad and traumatic for the family. And only 56 years old!

It sounds like this could be yet another incident? This is getting confusing, and not in a good way whatsoever.

A SECOND passenger in four days has died while vacationing on a Disney cruise to The Bahamas.

#A 56-year-old American man was discovered dead on Sunday morning onboard the ship at Castaway Cay, Disney’s private island.

#Police in Abaco are classifying it as a sudden death. The victim, who is from Cleveland, Ohio, was discovered shortly after 7am, police reported. The cause of death is not known and the matter is under investigation.

#Last Thursday, a 38-year-old New York man drowned while swimming at the cay. The man was a passenger on the Disney Wonder on a five-night cruise to the Bahamas that departed from Miami.

#Castaway Cay is a private vacation stop exclusively for the Disney Cruise Line fleet. There are trained lifeguards at the private island.
The wife of the 56 year old man said he died most likely of a heart attack.

People die. And they die anywhere, That's just a fact of life. DCL sails 15.000 guests a week. Chances are big that someday someone will die on a DCL ship. That's very sad for the people involved, but nothing to be extra worried about. Cruiseships are very safe and well guarded. Lots of places are far more dangerous.

People die. And they die anywhere, That's just a fact of life. DCL sails 15.000 guests a week. Chances are big that someday someone will die on a DCL ship. That's very sad for the people involved, but nothing to be extra worried about. Cruiseships are very safe and well guarded. Lots of places are far more dangerous.

There was a death on the Fantasy the week my parents were on it. Not publicized...natural causes...sad for those involved but yes, it happens.

As I like to point out, the leading cause of death is life. :)

Goes to show you that the media isn't always correct the Man found dead on the Dream on Sunday was from Cleveland, Tennessee.

Goes to show you that the media isn't always correct the Man found dead on the Dream on Sunday was from Cleveland, Tennessee.
Nope and according to @Susieark some posts above the man probably had a heart attack. Totally unrelated to the events on Castaway Cay and just a matter af coincidence this happened while the Dream was docked at CC.

JSimmet, thank you for helping the man on the island. I hope you find the information you are looking for.

Shame on the person looking for information on here that is not connected to the event. If you are a "friend" you would have the answers you seek.

Sounds to me there were 3 separate incidents.
The unfortunate drowning resulting in death.
The 56 year old man in his stateroom found deceased.
The NEAR drowning of the man on Castaway Cay.

A couple of medical pointers (I have been a medic for 16 years)
Earlier in the thread someone mentioned the IV bag in place so the victim should be ok (not exact words). This is actually false. Any medical procedures done on a patient MUST be let in place even after death so that a proper medical history/autopsy can be done to detect any malpractice, complication from procedures, etc.
Medically, one can be blue in color, become pink again, but that does not necessarily mean the person is still alive. It just means that with CPR, oxygenated blood is continuing to pump throughout the body (think brain dead).
An ambulance (by law) cannot start a transport with a deceased patient. A medical examiner would have to be called for that. If a deceased body must be transported via air lift, they must be in a body bag for sanitary reasons. So basically, if you see someone going into a helicopter or ambulance without a body bag, they are currently alive (may not stay that way).
HIPPA does in fact cover on Castaway Cay because a medical procedure was performed. Disney is not allowed to release anything without permission from the family. So unless it comes from medical personnel, Disney, or a family member, everything is here say.
If you were on the scene if the incident, be prepared to get calls from the family lawyers as well as lawyers from Disney. Wouldn't be a bad idea to have your own lawyer. While you did nothing wrong, a very vindictive (let's face it, evil) person could accuse you of waiting to long to act. Just because you happened to be there and had hands on.
The only way you can get any information is to talk to Disney, who can then pass your information on to the family, if they choose to speak with you, they will contact you. Otherwise, no one is required to tell you anything.
From everything I have read, there is nothing showing that the near drowning victim actually passed away. In that regards, I would think the family would want to speak with you sooner because you saved their loved ones life.
If this becomes too much for you, please seek mental help. This doesn't say anything negative about you. Anyone (myself included) would be very shaken up by this. This could quite easily turn into PTSD if you do not find a way to help yourself feel better and sleep.
Hang in there!

An ambulance (by law) cannot start a transport with a deceased patient. A medical examiner would have to be called for that. If a deceased body must be transported via air lift, they must be in a body bag for sanitary reasons. So basically, if you see someone going into a helicopter or ambulance without a body bag, they are currently alive (may not stay that way).

No disrespect, and I do not know what the law is everywhere, but in practice, under certain circumstances, at least in my area, an ambulance will transport a deceased patient. If the patient is an on duty police officer or firefighter, they will always transport them. If an air ambulance is used, and it has not been canceled before it landed, they will always transport a patient. That gets interesting to listen to on the scanner because sometimes they will have the helicopter hover above the landing zone for a few minutes waiting for approval from the incident commander to land, or to be canceled so they can avoid having to transport a deceased victim.
I do think in the case of police officers and firefighters, it may not be an issue of medical protocol, it is a matter of respect, and to assure the deceased person's family that every possible effort was made to save their life.
And in cases of violent crime, where the deceased remaining on scene could incite further violence, I have heard police order Paramedics to transport the deceased to the hospital.
Can you tell my job for the last 35 years has been to monitor police and fire radios and med nets?

Right, but in safe scenes, or when the patient has obvious signs of death, if they have to transport, they have to transport in a body bag. If the patient is still technically alive (even with CPR) then obviously they wouldn't be transporting in a body bag.
It's medical protocol that if the patient has been declared dead they can't transport without a body bag. So if they are still continuing medical intervention (CPR, stabilizing, etc) then the patient is still considered alive unless declared. My point being in this case, due to the lack of a body bag, the patient has not been technically declared dead. Meaning, from the last time they saw the patient, the patient was technically alive.
So in the one case they said they saw the patient being transported in a body bag. Obviously deceased. The other they did not see a bag, which means chance of being alive still.

SIDS babies that are clearly deceased will still be given "treatment" via ambulance. Because technically, they haven't been declared dead. It's all about protocol. Now if an ME were to be called, then they technically couldn't take the baby in an ambulance, that's why most MEs will wait until enroute to declare it. To save what little bit of heartache they can for the family.
So I am not saying that the 2nd patient was in fact alive at that point in time, but that he hadn't technically been declared (even if he was dead by then). Technicalities and beuorcracy. It's much easier to say patient is still alive, but the minute he was in the ambulance/helicopter they passed away, than it is to ask permission to transport a deceased body.

Uugg that's awful! I was on the dream last Mother's Day and a man died on CC ( I think heart attack) it was so sad! The worst part was they sat on the helipad for hrs doing CPR then called it and because he passed they could not take him in the lifeflight;( . They had to wait for the M.E . to come from Nassau and put him on another boat. I felt awful for his family, his wife was so upset ( of course) .
We left CC hrs late and there was no way to hide what was going on and had to drive him ( covered of course) past the whole ship of people! It was awful to see people take PHOTOS! I will never forget seeing that all..
That day on CC we had a double rainbow also which was so sweet and sad all at the same time.
I was on that same cruise, always wondered what had happened. We were waiting to get back on the boat when we saw the helicopter, spent a lot of time trying to figure out what happened. And I guess I missed the double rainbow :(

Is it just me, or does CLN remind you of main character on AMC series 'Better Call Saul'?

Right, but in safe scenes, or when the patient has obvious signs of death, if they have to transport, they have to transport in a body bag. If the patient is still technically alive (even with CPR) then obviously they wouldn't be transporting in a body bag.
It's medical protocol that if the patient has been declared dead they can't transport without a body bag. So if they are still continuing medical intervention (CPR, stabilizing, etc) then the patient is still considered alive unless declared. My point being in this case, due to the lack of a body bag, the patient has not been technically declared dead. Meaning, from the last time they saw the patient, the patient was technically alive.
So in the one case they said they saw the patient being transported in a body bag. Obviously deceased. The other they did not see a bag, which means chance of being alive still.

Ambulances here don't even have body bags, only the coroner does. I have no idea how things are done in the Caribbean. You do bring up an interesting point. When my mom passed away 2 years ago in a Residential Care Facility for the Elderly, because she was under a Doctors care and had a terminal illness, the coroner was not involved. But the Funeral Chapel made a big deal of making sure I understood that she would not be put in a body bag, that she would be placed on a plastic covered stretcher, but that only a sheet would be placed over her. I never thought to ask why they make such a big deal of that......or if it was protocol or if they were telling me that because they normally did use a body bag.

Sounds to me there were 3 separate incidents.
The unfortunate drowning resulting in death.
The 56 year old man in his stateroom found deceased.
The NEAR drowning of the man on Castaway Cay.

A couple of medical pointers (I have been a medic for 16 years)
Earlier in the thread someone mentioned the IV bag in place so the victim should be ok (not exact words). This is actually false. Any medical procedures done on a patient MUST be let in place even after death so that a proper medical history/autopsy can be done to detect any malpractice, complication from procedures, etc.
Medically, one can be blue in color, become pink again, but that does not necessarily mean the person is still alive. It just means that with CPR, oxygenated blood is continuing to pump throughout the body (think brain dead).
HIPPA does in fact cover on Castaway Cay because a medical procedure was performed. Disney is not allowed to release anything without permission from the family. So unless it comes from medical personnel, Disney, or a family member, everything is here say.
If you were on the scene if the incident, be prepared to get calls from the family lawyers as well as lawyers from Disney. Wouldn't be a bad idea to have your own lawyer. While you did nothing wrong, a very vindictive (let's face it, evil) person could accuse you of waiting to long to act. Just because you happened to be there and had hands on.
The only way you can get any information is to talk to Disney, who can then pass your information on to the family, if they choose to speak with you, they will contact you. Otherwise, no one is required to tell you anything.
From everything I have read, there is nothing showing that the near drowning victim actually passed away. In that regards, I would think the family would want to speak with you sooner because you saved their loved ones life.
If this becomes too much for you, please seek mental help. This doesn't say anything negative about you. Anyone (myself included) would be very shaken up by this. This could quite easily turn into PTSD if you do not find a way to help yourself feel better and sleep.
Hang in there!
I don't see how HIPPA would apply here since CC is in a foreign country and the DCL ships sail under the flag of the Bahamas. No other US laws apply to the ships such wage and workers comp.:confused3

I was on that same cruise, always wondered what had happened. We were waiting to get back on the boat when we saw the helicopter, spent a lot of time trying to figure out what happened. And I guess I missed the double rainbow :(

Archergirl11, there were three incidents, one each on the Wonder, Dream and Fantasy.

The only one that involved a helicopter, as far as I can tell, was the one on the Fantasy. The double rainbow comment was made in relation to the incident that happened on the Wonder. I know it's hard to keep track of in a thread that makes reference to all three.

It's been mentioned previously, but since I think repeated clarity can be useful, I'll summarize the three events:

From what I have gathered, a 38 year old man from New York drowned in Serenity Bay on the Wonder.
Also, a 56 year old man from Tennessee died of a heart attack on board the Dream, when it was docked at CC.
Finally, what I was an eye witness to was the transportation of a man who nearly drowned at the family beach and was airlifted by USCG with the Fantasy.

Finally, I think it's worth keeping in mind that outsiders asking about information will have a murkier understanding than DISers would. Outsiders reading this thread may have no idea that Disney has several ships, that incidents happened on three of the four ships in the span of one week, and wouldn't gain any clarity in the passages above about which incidents are being referred to by mentions of snorkeling beaches vs. serenity bay nor via references of the names of the ships.

To me, you could refer to serenity bay and I'd know this is a reference to the 38 year old deceased, you could say "Dream incident" and I'd know you're referring to the 56 year old man who passed on the ship, and I'd know that references to the incident at the "snorkeling/family beach" are likely the incident on the Fantasy.

The poster who mentioned the double rainbow was referring to an incident on the Dream last Mother's Day I believe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter