Dry Mouth - Biotene Moisturizing Gel

The Mayor

How about 7"...6" is for rookies
I have dry mouth caused by radiation treatments to my neck area for a cancerous mass I had on my tongue. The Biotene Moisturizing gel has been a God send, especially at night. However, I can no longer find it in any pharmacies or stores. Amazon has it but for $20 per 1.5oz tube. I used to pay $6 for it on Amazon. I’ve googled looking to see if theres shortages of it or if it’s been discontinued but have seen conflicting reports. I’ve used the Biotene spray but it’s not as effective as the gel and I like the tubes because they are easy to carry around.

Not sure if anyone else on here uses the Biotene gel and is having the same issue finding it. If so, have you found another gel that is effective?

I have dry mouth caused by radiation treatments to my neck area for a cancerous mass I had on my tongue. The Biotene Moisturizing gel has been a God send, especially at night. However, I can no longer find it in any pharmacies or stores. Amazon has it but for $20 per 1.5oz tube. I used to pay $6 for it on Amazon. I’ve googled looking to see if theres shortages of it or if it’s been discontinued but have seen conflicting reports. I’ve used the Biotene spray but it’s not as effective as the gel and I like the tubes because they are easy to carry around.

Not sure if anyone else on here uses the Biotene gel and is having the same issue finding it. If so, have you found another gel that is effective?
I found it online at Walgreens $8.49. Do you have one of those nearby?

"Out of stock" for shipping at Walgreens and also two other online sites that I know have carried it (for a reasonable price).

Walmart has it when I looked. You can order if any near you are out.

yes-and if you go to the biotene website they list companies that sell it face to face and online (you can search by city).

Walmart has it when I looked. You can order if any near you are out.
I saw that but it’s $30 to $50 for one tube. Thats grand larceny. Ive never paid more than $9 for one and until recently was paying $6 on Amazon.

Thank you for checking!!

This is on the Walmart site.....but different places might be out of stock. You would have to check around where you are.

Biotene Oralbalance Alcohol Free Dry Mouth Moisturizing Gel, Unflavored, 1.5 Oz​

$6.72

Hope you find it! DH has nasopharangyeal cancer and I well remember the damage radiation caused and how essential Biotene was :) Thankfully it eventually got better and he recovered his saliva glands. I hope there is a chance you will too! Hang in there!

OP, I'm having the same problem with a toothpaste I use which is gentle on my dry mouth. I can go to various sites and it appears like it's there and available to order, but then it's not. Or you can order it but the price is so high (generally from a seller who has leftover product, knows there's some shortage and has raised their price).

I got very frustrated trying to find it and ended up contacting the company who told me they are havine trouble sourcing one of the ingredients and there really was very little product left on the market. Maybe if you contact Biotene, they can tell you what is going on.

After reading your thread, I did a check online for the product in my area and it is also out of stock everywhere.

Hope you find it! DH has nasopharangyeal cancer and I well remember the damage radiation caused and how essential Biotene was :) Thankfully it eventually got better and he recovered his saliva glands. I hope there is a chance you will too! Hang in there!
That’s great your husbands saliva glands recovered!!! My radiation was in 2016 so there’s no Hope mine will fully recover. I take a saligen three times a day and that helps some but the gel was my savior, especially at night.

OP, I'm having the same problem with a toothpaste I use which is gentle on my dry mouth. I can go to various sites and it appears like it's there and available to order, but then it's not. Or you can order it but the price is so high (generally from a seller who has leftover product, knows there's some shortage and has raised their price).

I got very frustrated trying to find it and ended up contacting the company who told me they are havine trouble sourcing one of the ingredients and there really was very little product left on the market. Maybe if you contact Biotene, they can tell you what is going on.

After reading your thread, I did a check online for the product in my area and it is also out of stock everywhere.
I’m going to try contacting them on Monday!

based on reviews on the biotene website, the product has been discontinued, which explains why it's out of stock everywhere, and that 3rd party sellers are price gouging. I would order a couple of new brands to try out.

This will sound very weird, but mouth taping may help keep your mouth from drying out as much in the night.

I have great teeth but so-so gums prone to erupt with gingivitis. I'd often wake in the middle of the night with a dried out mouth. Even night-use gel only lasted a few hours before I'd wake up with a dry mouth.

A couple years ago, I saw some info online indicating that mouth taping can help. The reason is that your teeth, gums and throat need to be bathed by saliva. Enzymes in it counteract irritants and help to reduce harmful bacteria.

Decided I'd try that because it certainly couldn't harm me unless I became allergic to the tape. A very inexpensive experiment besides.

No more dry mouth in the night AT ALL. Both my periodontal tech and dental tech say they can see improvement in the condition of my gums--and I'm not doing anything different in terms of recommended self-care other than mouth taping.

Surgical tape is what's suggested, although you can get specially shaped mouth tapes (pricey, too!). I simply cut about a 2" piece of tape, press my lips together and stick a tape end right below my nose, smoothing it in place across my lips to just above my chin. It sticks really securely and isn't difficult or painful to remove.

Occasionally when I've sinus congestion, I'll rip it off in the night but not often at all. It's amazing what a difference something this simple has made for me.

Might be something to consider after asking your doctor about any possible reasons why you ought not try it.

The taping is a good idea.

I just got my DH 3M Transpore surgical tape to experiment with facial taping. The only issue we have is the sticky residue after removing the tape so I may buy some cold cream or something.

It’s dirt cheap - about $6 on Amazon for 8-10 rolls. Trying it to help with other facial palsy issues due to the nerve damage and also occasionally tape his mouth up at night as it hangs very wide open.

For years he has been meticulous at dental care and uses a waterpik to wash his mouth after every meal. So far in 7 years he gets cavities on a semi-regular basis but still has all his teeth, which is a huge success.

I just got my DH 3M Transpore surgical tape to experiment with facial taping. The only issue we have is the sticky residue after removing the tape so I may buy some cold cream or something

try uni-solve adhesive remover. ds had medication that came in the form of a patch that left nasty sticky residue-this stuff removes it AND is very gentle on skin.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter