DS v WDW Resort Costing Question

Great summary. I'd add:

... distance from your room to amenities is measured in steps, not tenths of a mile
... any problems are resolved by people at the hotel, not an off-site call center
... Do Not Disturb signs still exist and are (presumably) honored

And these are great additions to the above summary!

Hope the Disney fanboys don’t see this thread or there will be blood.

Great summary. I'd add:

... distance from your room to amenities is measured in steps, not tenths of a mile
... any problems are resolved by people at the hotel, not an off-site call center
... Do Not Disturb signs still exist and are (presumably) honored

Last night as I was booking I also thought, not B but others, the ability to collect frequent guest points.

And some places free breakfast, free evening drinks and a few evening dinners.

And these are great additions to the above summary!

Hope the Disney fanboys don’t see this thread or there will be blood.

That's me- just starting rumbles wherever I go! :)

Both have their place, both have their pros and drawbacks, depending on situation. As I start my "Disney Life" lol, I'm sure I'll do both at various points- not sure why it has to be some weird "omg you're an idiot for doing X" situation. The "right" choice is different for everyone (and for each trip).

For me (solo, mid-thirties, first trip), it's either stay at a much nicer hotel, pay a bit more to stay at an (for my OWN values) inferior hotel, or pay MUCH more to stay at a deluxe (the "quality-level counterpart to the DS hotels"- imo only). I don't think I'd enjoy POP/the values, so really, it's DS hotels or higher priced mods (POFQ/POR) or deluxe- so big price diff there.

I'm not opposed to paying a bit more sometimes- I make a good, 6-figure salary, have no kids, etc.. But, I also really value being able to travel a lot, to a lot of different places. Personally, I'd rather save the $600-800 it'd take me to bump up to a mod (more for deluxe), and get to buy one more plane ticket to London or somewhere else. But, everyone's circumstances are different. I also am on my own, and don't expect to be spending much (if any at all) time at my hotel other than sleeping (I'm an adventuresome traveler), so for me it'd be a waste anyways.

The cost diff def shrinks pp when you're not traveling solo, and if this were my "big trip/year" or whatever, I can def see my values being different. Traveling with my niece/nephew next year? yup, maybe! Though my sister/bro-in law might value more space (ie: DS) over on-site, who knows?!

Just don't know why it has to be one camp against another. And why some get so offended or aghast if you do one or the other. It's not an insult to your "choice" if I choose something else :). They're all great options for different reasons (cost completely aside).

Most stays I have done both, a few days offsite and a few on. I like variety! But value is important so lately offsite is more appealing.

I'll try to answer since I have over @130 stays on property and @35 of those at POP Century AND I have stayed at B Resort in most their room options about 5 times.

OP says they understand the on/off reasoning. I get onsite only folks don't get the offsite benefits and visa-versa but there are huge perks both ways that can't be replicated by the other. OP says they have their own preferences and maybe they fall in to some I can think of ...

Including what @writerguyfl says .... B Resort is much nicer than POP Century .... especially for an adult or solo adult.

B Resort ...
... rooms are much larger with ample space to move around, some with sofas and balconies or views
... rooms are decorated modern, boutique and less sterile than the new POP rooms
... some rooms facing pool have balconies to enjoy or nicely furnished private patios that have pool access
... rooms are interior hallway entry, potentially much safer for a solo traveler
... bathrooms are large and modern and well done
... pool is usually quiet with very nice pool bar right there, nice loungers with pool towels right there
... pool deck area has outdoor lounges and nice furniture if you just want to relax
... grab and go is one of best I have seen and right by pool
... Table Service dining that has only had good reviews I have seen
... Nice indoor bar
... Good bus shuttle to parks
... Walking distance to Disney Springs, which as adults is a nice perk for dining and evenings
... This year, 60 day FP+ and EMH

If comparing one to the other the only plus POP brings is Magical Express. But then again, many folks don't like that system and still pay for taxi/etc to get them to hotel especially returning to airport.

The reason one would pick offsite for the same price is because they will almost always get much more for that same price. Right now I have 4 nights booked at POP in the fall with a discount. For the same exact price I can book B Resort in a two room executive suite in the tower. We are talking apples and oranges here. I'm tempted to book this but ...

For about $100 less I can book a FULL WEEK in a 1 bedroom condo with kitchen, porch, much nicer pools and amenities. Since I have a car and AP ... I can drive to parks faster than I can ride a bus, I park for free .... so for a week = $920* for POP OR $420 for a nice condo resort almost no brainer. But seriously, how is POP worth a thousand dollars for a week? and that is with a good discount!

* POP rate is probably more since I just took my weekday rate x 7 and we would have to add two weekend rates to that probably hitting $1000.

To your point about Pop being worth $1000/wk, I think that really varies. For someone who doesn’t have a car, wants to stay on site, and has kids who want a “Disney” hotel, Pop is worth that.

Off site condos undoubtedly offer the lowest prices for the most space, but don’t come with EMH or 60-day FP. If you are a family that doesn’t get to Disney very often, the extra cost of Pop vs off-site can be completely worth it to maximize park time. Even an extra $500 for Pop is less than another round of airfare, airport parking fees, and park tickets that would come with another visit.

On an adult vacation I’d choose the B in a heartbeat, but I’m staying at Pop this fall for my kids who will enjoy the in-your-face Disney-ness of it far more than they would appreciate the upscale amenities of the B.

My ten-year-old saw a commercial for AoA, and really wants to do the drawing class there. He is so excited to be in a resort where he can just walk over. I think my kids will also enjoy poolside activities and the chance to play with other kids.

I think most people do what makes sense for them. You don’t see how Pop is worth $1000/week, but I don’t see how deluxe resorts are worth $1000/night. Obviously, they’re worth it for some people, though, and good for them having that kind of vacation budget.

To your point about Pop being worth $1000/wk, I think that really varies. For someone who doesn’t have a car, wants to stay on site, and has kids who want a “Disney” hotel, Pop is worth that.

Off site condos undoubtedly offer the lowest prices for the most space, but don’t come with EMH or 60-day FP. If you are a family that doesn’t get to Disney very often, the extra cost of Pop vs off-site can be completely worth it to maximize park time. Even an extra $500 for Pop is less than another round of airfare, airport parking fees, and park tickets that would come with another visit.

On an adult vacation I’d choose the B in a heartbeat, but I’m staying at Pop this fall for my kids who will enjoy the in-your-face Disney-ness of it far more than they would appreciate the upscale amenities of the B.

My ten-year-old saw a commercial for AoA, and really wants to do the drawing class there. He is so excited to be in a resort where he can just walk over. I think my kids will also enjoy poolside activities and the chance to play with other kids.

I think most people do what makes sense for them. You don’t see how Pop is worth $1000/week, but I don’t see how deluxe resorts are worth $1000/night. Obviously, they’re worth it for some people, though, and good for them having that kind of vacation budget.

I'm saying that some of the perks at the Disney resort are not of value to some guests. I was responding to the poster who said "I don't want to come off as rude, but why would you second guess staying at a disney resort that is nearly the same price as staying at an off-site when you are traveling solo?" and I gave them all reasons that folks would rather pay the same for way more or pay less and still get more. I was giving reasons the OP, would "second guess" a Disney resort and embrace a non-Disney resort. AND the resort they are talking about DOES get EMH and FP+ 60 day right now.

I also have been to Disney enough to know neither FP+ 60 day or EMH would be worth me paying double for POP. I have had over 135 Disney hotel stays, probably 30-35 at POP Century. I know all the offerings, services and amenities. For me it comes down to what I get for my money, but at this point because Disney is changing; generic rooms, invasive room checks, parking fees .... I am having a hard time attaching the price tag to the value. That $1000 is with a discount but it’s not unusual for POP to be in $1500 range. Wait until gondola is done. But I do agree, "deluxes" are not worth $1000 a night especially when a real deluxe offsite is much less. Also note that many of the offsite resorts have way more activities, multiple pools and plenty of kids to play with. But I get that some would rather stay at Disney ... but that is not to say that others can not replicate a stay offsite.

EVERYONE needs to do what is right for them and their family, the whole point of my "list post" was because it seemed the poster was questioning the OP's rationale as if there is no way offsite can be as good as onsite.

Last edited:
Loyalty points would be amazing!

Bounce back offers and PIN codes are too random to be very useful for many (most?) guests.

It took a number of years, but I gathered up enough points for five "free" nights at the DoubleTree Suites by Disney Springs over New Year's. The retail price was around $1,800, not including the upgrade they gave me because I'm frequent guest of that hotel. If I had paid for the room I ended up in, it would have been right about $2k.

As HopperFan wrote, six of the seven Disney Springs Hotels have loyalty programs. The exception is the B Resort and Spa. At one point, they announced that a loyalty program was coming. I just checked their website and all references to that program are gone. But, six out of seven hotels isn't bad considering Disney does next to nothing to reward loyalty.

Just don't know why it has to be one camp against another. And why some get so offended or aghast if you do one or the other. It's not an insult to your "choice" if I choose something else :). They're all great options for different reasons (cost completely aside).

I think it's mostly one sided. You do have some offsite folks who can't imagine staying onsite but I believe most those tend to be larger families that can't rationalize Disney large family rates, need more bathrooms, need the ability to cook and the issue is very black and white. I think the group that is mostly aghast and very blunt in questioning sanity are some who would only stay onsite or not go. :rolleyes:

Call me crazy but I stay offsite AND onsite ........... I stay at a variety of lodgings except for houses because that isn't of interest to me. But I totally appreciate the folks who do because it works for them. My mantra is in my signature ...

"There is no right way or wrong way to do Disney, just what is right for you!"

It took a number of years, but I gathered up enough points for five "free" nights at the DoubleTree Suites by Disney Springs over New Year's. The retail price was around $1,800, not including the upgrade they gave me because I'm frequent guest of that hotel. If I had paid for the room I ended up in, it would have been right about $2k.

As HopperFan wrote, six of the seven Disney Springs Hotels have loyalty programs. The exception is the B Resort and Spa. At one point, they announced that a loyalty program was coming. I just checked their website and all references to that program are gone. But, six out of seven hotels isn't bad considering Disney does next to nothing to reward loyalty.

When DH was traveling lots this was a huge plus for us. We did a few years of NYE at fun places including the Doubletree Suites in TIMES SQUARE. That was a HUGE savings on points since we stayed a week and over NYE .... ma Being able to use points for locations where we would never pay the rate is a very nice perk. He's back traveling so the points are rolling once again. I'm working on him to go to Disneyland and stay at Hilton across the street, or maybe Embassy down the road for space. It's great to collect the points but it's also nice when you are a member especially a higher member, the extras you get or the special attention.

I was surprised B didn't move forward and I get that there are not that many of them so maybe that was it .... but why not join one of the programs that are for a mixed group of hotels like Stash.

Last edited:

Since DH travels frequently, and we put a lot of things on our SPG Amex, we're going to stay at the Swolfin on points for most of our upcoming trip. I'm sure my kids would like more days at Pop, but even a good deal on a value hotel doesn't beat free. Our last Disney trip we used SPG points to stay at a two-bedroom at the Sheraton Vistana. Even adding in the cost of car rental, it was still less expensive than the cheapest Disney resort. I would be more inclined to pay for on-site Disney stays if I could "earn" something by doing so.

And the cash and points option is a good one.,I wish it was offered more often.

Cash and points is a great deal for customers, and a smart move for the hotels to get people to commit and spend money at their hotel now rather than waiting to amass enough points to cover their someday stay.

I'm waiting to see what the Marriott merger is going to do to our points. I'm a bit concerned because we currently put everything on our SPG Amex that can go on Amex, from our $350 weekly daycare bill to a coffee at work. I expect some devaluation of points, but hope it won't be so great that we'll need to reconsider our go-to credit card.

I use my Amex SPG a lot too to use at swandolphin. I am gold level not platinum and I think I saw it will take more annual spending to maintain status. Maybe $36,000 instead of $30,000. I will have zero problem maintaining that. I am wondering if they will amp up how many points are required to stay at swandolphin. They already raised the points needed for the dolphin this spring but I knew about it from a thread here so I booked just in time.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter