• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DSLR Camera w/ One Lens ~ Require Bag Check?

lucincia

DIS Veteran
DW and I will be going in August for our 25th anniversary, without kids. In the past, when we went to WDW, we had kids. So we had bags for kids and a bag for camera gears. This time, DW asked that I don't bring my camera gears so we can travel light and skip the bag checks. Now, my question. If I have my camera with a smaller lens (Nikon Z6 mirrorless with a normal lens) that I carry on a shoulder strap, do I still need to go through bag check? Thank you in advance.

Bag check is very different if you have not been in the last year. They no longer dig through everyone's bags to see what is inside. Everyone, bag or no bag, goes through a new gate/scanner that can detect objects of concern. If you are carrying a bag and the system detects an object of concern in the bag, then you'll be asked to step to the side to have someone look through your bag by hand. But most people breeze through with no manual bag check required. In regards to your specific question, if you are carrying a camera (with lens) on a strap, you should have no problem just walking through the gate. I took a mirrorless with me a couple of months ago and chose to take it out of my bag and carry it by the strap as I walked through the gate and had no issues. Did not get pulled aside for a manual bag check.

Bag check is very different if you have not been in the last year. They no longer dig through everyone's bags to see what is inside. Everyone, bag or no bag, goes through a new gate/scanner that can detect objects of concern. If you are carrying a bag and the system detects an object of concern in the bag, then you'll be asked to step to the side to have someone look through your bag by hand. But most people breeze through with no manual bag check required. In regards to your specific question, if you are carrying a camera (with lens) on a strap, you should have no problem just walking through the gate. I took a mirrorless with me a couple of months ago and chose to take it out of my bag and carry it by the strap as I walked through the gate and had no issues. Did not get pulled aside for a manual bag check.

Thank you. Glad to hear that the bag check process has improved!

I kept the camera out and held it in front of me, arms extended, as I walked through the scanners. Never had an issue, except the one time I forgot to take out my umbrella and had to go to bag check. After that, camera, umbrella and recharging battery were held out front and no issues after that.

DW and I will be going in August for our 25th anniversary, without kids. In the past, when we went to WDW, we had kids. So we had bags for kids and a bag for camera gears. This time, DW asked that I don't bring my camera gears so we can travel light and skip the bag checks. Now, my question. If I have my camera with a smaller lens (Nikon Z6 mirrorless with a normal lens) that I carry on a shoulder strap, do I still need to go through bag check? Thank you in advance.
Not if it is not inside a case or bag.

I would assume not, since they can see it in your hand. On the last trip, I got pulled aside at security each time the first couple of days because of all the lenses in my backpack when going through the metal detectors.
On the third day, I pulled my lenses and camera out and held them out in front of my body and while it still set off the metal detectors, security could see it was all in my hands and I didn't need additional screening. Huge time saver!

If I have my camera with a smaller lens (Nikon Z6 mirrorless with a normal lens) that I carry on a shoulder strap
Are you saying you wouldn't put the camera into a bag all day? That sounds like an accident waiting to happen.
On the third day, I pulled my lenses and camera out and held them out in front of my body and while it still set off the metal detectors, security could see it was all in my hands and I didn't need additional screening. Huge time saver!
During entry, that makes sense.

I kept the camera out and held it in front of me, arms extended, as I walked through the scanners. Never had an issue, except the one time I forgot to take out my umbrella and had to go to bag check. After that, camera, umbrella and recharging battery were held out front and no issues after that.

This is what I had to do with my Nikon DLSR on my Nov trip to keep the metal detector from going off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter