• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DTD Entrance from Grand Californian?

kverdon

Mouseketeer
We will be at Disneyland this weekend staying at the Disneyland Hotel. We have dinner booked one night at Napa Rose. After Dinner will be allowed to re-enter DTD from the Grand Californian or will we have to exit on Disnelyand Ave and walk all the way back around to the ESPN Checkpoint?

thanks,

Kevin and Mona

Yes you can go to Downtown Disney through the Grand California Hotel. I was there in June 2017. When you exit the hotel there is a security bag check point at the Downtown Disney exit.

You'll be able to enter DTD from the Grand Californian. They don't check to see if you're staying there when you're leaving the resort into DTD.

What they have put a stop to is the Paradise Pier people cutting through the GC lobby to get to the parks. They do not let you enter from the street side unless you are a GC guest. You can go in the DTD side (even if you are not staying at any of the Disney resorts), and you can go out through security on the DTD side. You also can still enter CA from the GC entrance if you are a DLH guest, but unless you have a purpose inside GC, it doesn't make much sense because you would have to go through security twice. Once to get into DTD from the DLH hotel, and then after you go through GC, you would have to go through security again, at the gate to get into CA.

We always stay at DLH and when we were there last month, we loved the security checkpoint being back by the DLH. Because there are now multiple checkpoints around DTD, the security lines were really short. It really eliminated the bottlenecks from that side of the parks, to have multiple checkpoints around DTD.

Long story short is that the only restriction now is that only GCH registered guests can enter through the front doors of the GCH. Front door exit, DTD entrance/exit and DCA exit/entrance are open to all.

What they have put a stop to is the Paradise Pier people cutting through the GC lobby to get to the parks. They do not let you enter from the street side unless you are a GC guest. ...

I recently booked what will be my first time at a Disney hotel, usually I stay at a hotel on Harbor. I specifically chose the Paradise Pier because you can easily get to DCA through the GC lobby. About 2 weeks after booking they stopped letting non GC guests do that. If I had known that was going to happen, I would have booked the Grand Californian... Is it quicker to go through double security to enter DCA or should I walk all the way down to the esplanade? Is it possible to cut through in another spot?
gqqMwQO.jpg

I recently booked what will be my first time at a Disney hotel, usually I stay at a hotel on Harbor. I specifically chose the Paradise Pier because you can easily get to DCA through the GC lobby. About 2 weeks after booking they stopped letting non GC guests do that. If I had known that was going to happen, I would have booked the Grand Californian... Is it quicker to go through double security to enter DCA or should I walk all the way down to the esplanade? Is it possible to cut through in another spot?
gqqMwQO.jpg
You cannot "Cut Through Here" :scared: (although there is a walkway there).

Anyone entering onto the GCH property from Disneyland Drive must be a registered GCH guest or have a dining reservation at Storytellers or Napa Rose. If walking, the check is made on the sidewalk just off Disneyland Drive. If driving, there is a guard shack (also just off DL drive).

I stay ay the PPH all the time. The walk through DTD adds a whopping three minutes vs cutting through the Grand and you can exit back through the Grand so NBD. I easily make up the three min by hitting the Starbucks by DLH vs waiting in longer line at the East DTD location!

I stay ay the PPH all the time. The walk through DTD adds a whopping three minutes vs cutting through the Grand and you can exit back through the Grand so NBD. I easily make up the three min by hitting the Starbucks by DLH vs waiting in longer line at the East DTD location!
Totally agree!

Is it quicker to go through double security to enter DCA or should I walk all the way down to the esplanade? Is it possible to cut through in another spot?
It is easy to go thru the esplanade. Don't see any reason to go thru the DCA entrance from the Grand. Even when I am at the Grand, I don't use that entrance for EMH. Bag check is slower there. And there are only 2 gates.

Thanks for the info!

Gosh I LOVE that Starbucks when staying DLH!!

Is it quicker to go through double security to enter DCA or should I walk all the way down to the esplanade? Is it possible to cut through in another spot?

Definitely just walk down to the main park gates. It should be quicker than winding through the hotel from the DTD side and going through security a second time at GC's CA gate. From our experience, putting security back by DLH, took away our purpose for going through the GC. In summer 2016, the security lines down at the esplanade/plaza between parks were crazy, so unless it was rope drop we cut through GC- in fact we would even enter CA through the GC entrance and then hop straight to DL. This 2017 summer, the security lines by DLH (which is where PPH people go through as well) were always short. It was so much easier and faster with the security moved back away from the esplanade/plaza to several spots around DTD. No more funnel back up at the plaza! The ticket scanning lines at the park entry gate were never that bad either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter