Dual credit senior year?

snarlingcoyote

<font color=blue>I know people who live in really
So Dear niece is going into high school this year and is on track to do a "dual" year her senior year (She got some of her HS requirements out of way in 8th grade.) Essentially, her senior year of high school, she will enroll in a local college and be counted as both a senior in HS and a freshman in college.

I also understand she will take some AP's along the way, so she will start with some credits and go directly into some sophmore level classes.

She won't lose her eligibility for college tuition deferment and can enroll in LSU and not lose any credits. (LSU is her dream school.)

Has anyone else had kids do something like this? What's it like? Does it work out well? I'm glad she wants to do this, and I think she'll be fine with it. (She'll whinge a lot, but she always does that.) Still. I'm curious how well it works.

So Dear niece is going into high school this year and is on track to do a "dual" year her senior year (She got some of her HS requirements out of way in 8th grade.) Essentially, her senior year of high school, she will enroll in a local college and be counted as both a senior in HS and a freshman in college.

I also understand she will take some AP's along the way, so she will start with some credits and go directly into some sophmore level classes.

She won't lose her eligibility for college tuition deferment and can enroll in LSU and not lose any credits. (LSU is her dream school.)

Has anyone else had kids do something like this? What's it like? Does it work out well? I'm glad she wants to do this, and I think she'll be fine with it. (She'll whinge a lot, but she always does that.) Still. I'm curious how well it works.

of program here and I imagine my DD willl participate, but she's going into 8th grade now so we'll see. By the time she goes to HS she will have 2 math credits and a science so that will free her up for college level material.

The downsides are mainly the cost, and the fact that you can't guarantee that the college they are going to will accept the credit.. although we were told it is more likely than an AP to be transferable.

Good luck to her. We'd love to hear how it goes.

Pretty much every college bound student in our state takes some of these classes junior and senior year in high school. It works out just fine. Here some of the college classes are taught at the high school by the professors, some of the kids go to the college campus to take the classes. Sometimes the credits transfer to college, sometimes they don't-all depends on the college.

of program here and I imagine my DD willl participate, but she's going into 8th grade now so we'll see. By the time she goes to HS she will have 2 math credits and a science so that will free her up for college level material.

The downsides are mainly the cost, and the fact that you can't guarantee that the college they are going to will accept the credit.. although we were told it is more likely than an AP to be transferable.

Thank you for the reminder about the cost. I think DB has started her a savings account for just that purpose, but I will check on it and if there is anything DH and I can do to help with that.

At least in our state, the state universities/community colleges/technical schools are all supposed to accept each other's credits to a certain level so that worry is off the table at least!

I honestly think this is just an effort to keep kids (well, certain kids) in state, and I think the local university pushes it to KEEP kids from going off to LSU. After they've done a year at the local, they might decide to stay instead of transfer. . .

Still. I think it will be a very good deal for her. I'm hoping her BFF, who is like Wylie E. Coyote supergenius smart, stays on this track too, so they'll have each other to lean on (carpool with).

Ok my DS did this way back in 1999-2000 … by the time he was going to be a senior he had exceeded all the math courses our h.s. offered. Back in 1998 very few schools were allowing this but fortunately for the town we lived in, MASS did allow for dual enrollment depending on your GPA. So speaking with school officials it appeared there were about 10 seniors very interested in dual enrollment.

They were allowed dual enrollment at a state college about 30 minutes from our home. The town paid for all their tuition and books.

While it as an awesome opportunity for DS and his school mates, it was disappointing in the fact that the h.s. did allot with the Senior Class back at DS' h.s. during the day …. from picture opportunities, senior club meetings to prepare for graduation …. planned dances AND DS was so mad he missed out on allot of those activities as he was in college his senior year. You know the Senior Student Council was all over the school during the day taking pictures for the Yearbook …. DS and his dual enrollment school mates were in almost NONE of those pictures.

DS received a full years credit of classes at the college he attended. While that was all well and good, if you were to ask my DS if he would do that again, he would absolutely tell you NO WAY.

Since that time, as DS grad in 2000, our h.s. now does dual enrollment through ONLINE classes. Its GREAT. Those that qualify go to a special section of the h.s. and sit at computers and take their classes without leaving the h.s.! :thumbsup2

Our program is free for tuition and books for all students that participate :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2. You are right though, not all colleges accept the credits-but not all colleges accept the AP credits either but colleges still want students to take the hardest courses they can so it is worth it for that.

I will find out if at least tuition is free. You'd think it would be. She's on the track for the highest level of TOPS (our state's tuition plan), which pays tuition, books and gives some money for room and board; maybe this lets her get it even though she's still in HS?

I will remind her that she will miss out on most of the HS things. I would suspect she wouldn't be able to be in band - I wonder if she'd be allowed to be in the college band? I suspect she would be treated like any other freshman for that purpose; wonder what LSU's band program thinks of this (they offer half-tuition in the Fall season scholarships to band members.) and if they accept these sort of transfers (on audition basis, of course).

Anyway, she WILL miss out on her senior year, something to consider. She's in such a rush right now to grow up! She's already the most level headed person in my family.

I will find out if at least tuition is free. You'd think it would be. She's on the track for the highest level of TOPS (our state's tuition plan), which pays tuition, books and gives some money for room and board; maybe this lets her get it even though she's still in HS?

I will remind her that she will miss out on most of the HS things. I would suspect she wouldn't be able to be in band - I wonder if she'd be allowed to be in the college band? I suspect she would be treated like any other freshman for that purpose; wonder what LSU's band program thinks of this (they offer half-tuition in the Fall season scholarships to band members.) and if they accept these sort of transfers (on audition basis, of course).

Anyway, she WILL miss out on her senior year, something to consider. She's in such a rush right now to grow up! She's already the most level headed person in my family.

Oh, DS was in everything extracurricular and he still did Jazz Band, Marching Band, Show Choir, National Honor Society, Math Team etc etc because these all met after school and evenings.

It was the "school day" and classes with all his friends that he missed allot.

In college, its a different world to these high schoolers.

One time, the 2000 Senior class received notice that during a day in October they would all be expected to be out front of the h.s. for a class picture. DS went to his college prof and asked if he could miss class as he had a school function he did not want to miss. The prof said to him "my classes will go on whether you choose to be here or not." Basically, the prof had no sympathy for him and I realize that completely. College is very different than high school. DS missed that class as he really wanted to be in the Senior Class picture.

Keep all that in mind when making the decision to do dual enrollment. Like I said DS' high school now has Virtual Classroom for college courses. :thumbsup2

Oh, DS was in everything extracurricular and he still did Jazz Band, Marching Band, Show Choir, National Honor Society, Math Team etc etc because these all met after school and evenings.

It was the "school day" and classes with all his friends that he missed allot.

In college, its a different world to these high schoolers.

One time, the 2000 Senior class received notice that during a day in October they would all be expected to be out front of the h.s. for a class picture. DS went to his college prof and asked if he could miss class as he had a school function he did not want to miss. The prof said to him "my classes will go on whether you chose to be here or not." Basically, the prof had no sympathy for him and I realize that completely. College is very different than high school. DS missed that class as he really wanted to be in the Senior Class picture.

Keep all that in mind when making the decision to do dual enrollment. Like I said DS' high school now has Virtual Classroom for college courses. :thumbsup2

That's just sad. That professor sounds like. . .well. :sad2: I'll invoke the thumper law now.

These are definitely things she needs to keep in mind, though. I will find out if her school does any online dual enrollments.

OTOH, now that I'm thinking about missing things and being part of things. . .this might be at least better than taking her from her itsy rural small town environment and dropping her off at LSU with no transitory phase. Even if she lives with us (although we really hope there's enough to put her in the dorms, so can really enjoy being IN college) it will still be a HUGE culture shock.

My boys did/are doing this. During DS19's senior year his first two class periods were spent at the local community college. The high school paid for and provided transportation. The rest of his day was at the high school were he was still a part of band and his extra curricular activities. It worked out great for him and helped him get into is top picked university. The biggest thing for him was noticing the maturity levels of his classmates. After being at college in the morning then returning to high school, he was sooo ready for graduation and to begin college life full time!

DS17 is a junior in high and will have to do the same thing senior year. So far his dual classes have been taught at the high school.

That's just sad. That professor sounds like. . .well. :sad2: I'll invoke the thumper law now.

These are definitely things she needs to keep in mind, though. I will find out if her school does any online dual enrollments.

OTOH, now that I'm thinking about missing things and being part of things. . .this might be at least better than taking her from her itsy rural small town environment and dropping her off at LSU with no transitory phase. Even if she lives with us (although we really hope there's enough to put her in the dorms, so can really enjoy being IN college) it will still be a HUGE culture shock.

Well as far as DS' dual enrollment college profs .... that IS college. If you don't like it then don't come here (basically) is their message to these young students coming in and sitting in their classes. It's a huge growth experience. DS hung in there and fulfilled all his requirements with dual enrollment and matured quite a bit through the experience.

Also, I am confused that your DN (or any student) would have to pay for their classes......that's not dual enrollment. Dual enrollment is offered to the top students in the class with all expenses paid by the town she/he resides in! :thumbsup2

Well as far as DS' dual enrollment college profs .... that IS college. If you don't like it then don't come here (basically) is their message to these young students coming in and sitting in their classes. It's a huge growth experience. DS hung in there and fulfilled all his requirements with dual enrollment and matured quite a bit through the experience.

Also, I am confused that your DN (or any student) would have to pay for their classes......that's not dual enrollment. Dual enrollment is offered to the top students in the class with all expenses paid by the town she/he resides in! :thumbsup2

As per money, that depends on your area. . .and our area is mostly v.v.v. poor. There's no money to fix leaking roofs, much less encourage top students.

I'm friends with different folks who teach or have taught at the university level. Most of them aren't jerks though. I know of a few who though who. Okay. Invoking thumper law. Suffice to say I'm familiar. I still think he was a jerk to not say "Well. you could go to section B which meets at 9" or "I'll count it as an absence, but Jill in the second row can probably be bribed with a latte to let you take a xerox of her notes."

As per money, that depends on your area. . .and our area is mostly v.v.v. poor. There's no money to fix leaking roofs, much less encourage top students.

I'm friends with different folks who teach or have taught at the university level. Most of them aren't jerks though. I know of a few who though who. Okay. Invoking thumper law. Suffice to say I'm familiar. I still think he was a jerk to not say "Well. you could go to section B which meets at 9" or "I'll count it as an absence, but Jill in the second row can probably be bribed with a latte to let you take a xerox of her notes."

but we went to a meeting for challenge students and they talked about this. I'm almost postitive they said we had to pay for it, but it is a few years off for us so I could be wrong. I would think it would be YMMV since some places have to "pay to play" and we do not..

My son took advantage of dual enrollment for his senior year and was able to earn enough college credit to be half way through his sophomore year of college once his AP credits were added. There were 5 of his fellow classmates that graduated with their A.A. at the same time they graduated from high school. Our HS paid books and tuition for dual enrollment and all of my son's credits transferred to the state university.

In Florida that can be done. I had some dual enrollment credits when I graduated and they were accepted without issue in the State University System in Florida. All Freshman/Sophomore level courses have the same code (or whatever it is called) whether it is at Community College or University. My credits were ENC1101/1102 which was an English/Writing class. It counted towards my Gordan Rule (writing) and General Education Requirements and UNLIKE an AP class, was calculated into my GPA. While the quality of instructor may vary, the class was the same regardless of where you took it.

Having moved to Virginia, I had inquired with other parents about it. And in Virginia, they said that not all community colleges are the same. And not all dual enrollment credits get accepted at the Universities. So that is an issue for us on whether it would be worth it, if we are still here when it is time to make that decision.

So--YMMV depending on where you are and what your child's academic plans are.

I have known several students to graduate high school having already obtained their AS/AA (not sure which one--but either way, they have their 2 year degree). Save some exceptions for an pre-requisite work that they would need for their major that is not available at the community college (I had to take Introduction to Mass Communication, for example)--they can walk right in and begin their upper level work while they are still officially a freshman.

This won't work if the school your student wishes to attend for college, does not accept community college work.

For me--I had the choice of that class or AP English. After I performed abysmally on the AP American History Exam (got a 2), I decided to go for the guaranteed credit (so long as you got a C or higher). I got an A, and was fine.

In some schools, the kids physically go to community college.

Mine was too remote from a campus, so the high school English teacher was somehow qualified and permitted to teach the class. Some of the math teachers taught College Algebra, so those students were dual enrolled as well.

HTH.

Good luck with the decision.

That's just sad. That professor sounds like. . .well. :sad2:

I'm honestly confused by this post.:confused3 The syllabus goes out, the students follow it. Period. When they miss a class, they get notes from someone or figure out how to get the information on their own. The students figure it out - that doesn't make the prof bad, that's just the way it is. As the person who wrote that post said - college is very different from high school.

I'm honestly confused by this post.:confused3 The syllabus goes out, the students follow it. Period. When they miss a class, they get notes from someone or figure out how to get the information on their own. The students figure it out - that doesn't make the prof bad, that's just the way it is. As the person who wrote that post said - college is very different from high school.

Welcome to college is what I say about it.

You sign up, you show up. If you don't... well it's on you. Don't expect the professor to excuse it or let you make things up. It will be up to the student to know the attendance policy and get any notes or information that they missed.

The professor was right though... class would go on if the student was there or not. Why should the professor care about a high school event?

I agree. What was the prof supposed to do? Whenever you miss a class you decide if it is worth the penalty or not. My kids have done this. It is a great program for kids who are interested in their education.

My homeschooled DD is doing dual enrollment this year at her college of choice. We had a choice between this private college, a community college, and several online choices.

It was a no brainer for her. :)

Our local HS's offer it also. The students have to provide their own transportation though and they only can choose the CC. I think they get their books free though (not sure). We have to pay for DD's books.

Our state offers Dual credit grants and this will cover 1 or 2 classes a semester. At the college a class only costs $300.00 which is the amount of the grant also. Pretty darned good deal! Much, much cheaper than after she has fulfilled her HS credits.

Good luck.

I did dual enrollment, and I actually wound up going away to college and living in the dorms at sixteen. (I'd already skipped an earlier grade, so I was a year younger than my classmates to begin with.)

I would definitely do it again. I don't think I really missed out on all that much of my senior year of high school - I think I made up for all the fun of senior year with the fun of freshman year of college. I did end up going back home from my senior prom, which was held after the end of my academic year at college. And I had no problems academically or socially - I was ready for the work and the independence, and my new friends at first thought I was an adorable little sixteen-year-old mascot and then after a while, my age just became a sort of distant novelty. ("Did you know Katie's only sixteen?" "Get out!")

It was kind of weird, though, graduating college before I was able to legally drink alcohol. :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter