Dublin Airport US Pre-clearance

howedaniel

Mouseketeer
Hello,

Dublin airport website says that after clearing dublin airport security you head to pre-clearance which involves a US security (TSA screening) check.

Does anyone know how this second security point works in terms of liquids?

Can we buy duty free and bottles of water to take on the plane or will the 100ml liquid restriction also be in place at TSA?

Can we buy duty free and bottles of water to take on the plane or will the 100ml liquid restriction also be in place at TSA?

yes you can I travelled from Dublin to California with Aer Lingus on June 17 2018. I bought alcohol in duty free, which they sealed in a plastic bag, I also bought water and organge juice. For the second secirity clearance you take off your shoes and take out electronic equipment.

About 2 hours before my flight departure time, an announcement was made for my flight , that passengers should proceed to the USA Pre Clearance Area.

This is a special arrangement that airports in Ireland have with USA Homeland Security. It means that USA Homeland security have a station in Irish airports and non USA Passport Holders get their stamps in their passport IN IRELAND BEFORE BOARDING THE PLANE.

To go to this special security area, you leave the general shopping concourse and go down to the departure gates. You then follow the signs to the lower level and to the security check.

At this second security check, you need to show your passport and Boarding pass. You then go through another bag check, where you remove your shoes and electronic items.

Once through the bag check, USA passport holders go to the self service machines, and non USA passport holders go to the USA Homelands Security Agents. This is where they ask you the questions about your travel plans, and put the stamp in your passport.

Once through this security check you are technically in America, even though you have not boarded the plane.

After this security check is where the USA boarding gates are. In this area there are limited shops, and food options, so you need to make sure you do your main shopping before going through the USA Security.

yes you can I travelled from Dublin to California with Aer Lingus on June 17 2018. I bought alcohol in duty free, which they sealed in a plastic bag, I also bought water and organge juice. For the second secirity clearance you take off your shoes and take out electronic equipment.

About 2 hours before my flight departure time, an announcement was made for my flight , that passengers should proceed to the USA Pre Clearance Area.

This is a special arrangement that airports in Ireland have with USA Homeland Security. It means that USA Homeland security have a station in Irish airports and non USA Passport Holders get their stamps in their passport IN IRELAND BEFORE BOARDING THE PLANE.

To go to this special security area, you leave the general shopping concourse and go down to the departure gates. You then follow the signs to the lower level and to the security check.

At this second security check, you need to show your passport and Boarding pass. You then go through another bag check, where you remove your shoes and electronic items.

Once through the bag check, USA passport holders go to the self service machines, and non USA passport holders go to the USA Homelands Security Agents. This is where they ask you the questions about your travel plans, and put the stamp in your passport.

Once through this security check you are technically in America, even though you have not boarded the plane.

After this security check is where the USA boarding gates are. In this area there are limited shops, and food options, so you need to make sure you do your main shopping before going through the USA Security.
We flew Aer Lingus Barcelona to Chicago via Dublin after the EBTA cruise and four nights in Barcelona in May. BadPinkTink’s description is right on. I would add that we were able to use the global entry kiosks to do the passport check and sailed through very quickly. Limited food and drink in the waiting area with a long, very slow line to purchase a couple of soft drinks from one of the few vendors (basically a coffee operation making specialty coffees to order like Starbucks). The nice thing was just picking up our checked bags and heading to our prearranged airport transportation at O’Hare.

Last edited:
We live in Ireland & use Dublin Airport to fly to USA .

NOTE arrive in airport with an Empty water bottle ...... ( Refill later on )

AS Pointed out by previous posters you buy your Duty Free ...... and good value it is .....before you head downstairs.

Your duty free is Sealed in a clear plastic bag , with receipt placed inside , this is NOT to be opened .

We bring a shoulder rucksack to carry this onwards .

We have a good breakfast / lunch after this .

Then Downstairs ....... to customs .......to Security again ..... & Immigration person

Your Hold Luggage will be displayed on a screen for your acceptance ... No idea what happens if you said No .

Now you are waved through & you are " on USA " land .

NOW you can Refill your empty water bottle at the drinking fountain.

Water & soft drinks are free on board aircraft .

I would add that we were able to use the global entry kiosks to do the passport check and sailed through very quickly.

YES.

My son and I have nexus. My ex has GE. We all simply scanned our passports to get through quicker. It was beautiful.

Except that my son had an apple. Oops.

Your Hold Luggage will be displayed on a screen for your acceptance ...

I don’t remember doing that at all. Hmm.

The one thing I'd add is to make sure you have enough time. I've read on other travel forums where people expect to rush through this in half an hour for an international flight. We arrived three hours before our flight and were glad we did so. It probably varies by day/time of day, but just keep in mind that you have to stand in more than one line for this.

There’s a little bit of confusion here

1) all passengers at Dublin airport go through security checks. This is pretty much the standard checks at every european airport. There is no need to take off shoes. This is where your hand luggage is scanned and your pass through the metal detectors etc. This can take a while, the same as in any airport

2) US immigration/customs pre-clearance is for all flights to the US (except Ethiopian Airlines to LAX). This is located in Terminal Two and operated by the US customs and border control. The line moves fast and definitely should be no more than 30 mins. You do not have to wait for your flight to be called

3) if you’re transiting in Dublin (ie your flight originated elsewhere) then they’ll show you a picture of your luggage and ask to confirm it’s yours. If your flight originated in Dublin they have no need for this

4) any duty free alcohol will be sealed. You can buy other liquids and they won’t be sealed. You can do this at any stage after 1) above.

5) after passing pre-clearance there is a (payable) lounge and a couple of places to get some light food (sandwiches, snacks) or a drink (alcohol/soft drinks)

6) this facility is also available at shannon airport. It isn’t available in Cork (which has one transatlantic flight)

Thanks so much for all your explanations. I am glad we can take water on board through the second security point as I like to stay hydrated on the plane.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter