Dublin, Ireland

lovetotraveltx

DIS Veteran
For those that have stayed in Dublin before or after your cruise, or those that live in the area. I have a hotel question. My husband and I staying there for 4 nights at the very end of August. Have narrowed down our hotel choices to the Maldron on Kevin Street, or The Mont, in the O'Callaghan chain, near Merrion Square. What are your thoughts? I'm open to others. Looking for something in the city center where we can walk places, with free breakfast, and would like to stick to $200 US or less per night, if possible. Thank you!

I haven't stayed in either of those hotels so can't comment on them specifically, if you don't get any replies then base your decision on TripAdvisor reviews. Both are in good locations for sightseeing and Dublin is small enough that you'll be able to get around easily enough.

I live in Dublin and know both those areas. My preference would be The Mont. However, it's been under refurb for the last while. I pass it on my way to my Monday client. When I went by it last Monday it looked close to re opening.

The Maldron on Kevin Street is also a new hotel. It was only built and opened in 2018. The area is not as nice as The Mont but it is walking distance to St Patrick's Cathedral and Christchurch Cathedral

@lovetotraveltx Depends on your budget, of course... I'd stay near St. Stephen's Green. It's next to Grafton street and an easy walk to Trinity College.

The Shelbourne is cool for its history, The Fitzwilliam is a non-chain that's nice and the Conrad is early American business with a touch of Irish charm. On the other end of Grafton street would be the Westin Dublin.

Real high end would be the Merrion right across the street from the Irish Parliment

I married a good Donegal woman and last time we were in Dublin, we stayed at Drury Court, right down the street from the Hairy Lemon. We enjoyed our stay.

Just for perspective @tankin recommended the high end hotels. The Westin is where Adventures By Disney stay.
Other high end hotels
The Clarence Hotel - under new ownership since June 2019, previous owners who just sold were Bono and The Edge
The Westbury on Grafton Street

The hotels I recommend are more mid budget. I tend to recommend based on location, ie how near they are walking distance to specific areas of interest.

I married a good Donegal woman and last time we were in Dublin, we stayed at Drury Court, right down the street from the Hairy Lemon. We enjoyed our stay.

This is a very good location, right in the middle of a group of streets which is becoming known for its variety of restaurants and food places. It is also very close to one of the main shopping streets, Grafton Street. Another hotel down the street from this hotel is Brooks Hotel. The Hairy Lemon, btw is a bar.

Other hotels I recommend

1. Trinity City Hotel - across the street from Trinity College / Book of Kells
  2. Arlington Hotel at River Liffey, at the end of O'Connell Street - has a resident Irish music and dance show and is beside the other main shopping area Henry Street / Mary Street
  3. Opposite Christchurch Cathedral is Jurys which is an Irish mid price hotel chain

Temple Bar is Dublins night life area - mainly filled with tourists and would be similar to Bourbon Street in New Orleans / Las Vegas Strip / Times Square in New York
There are a few hotels here
  1. The Fleet Street Hotel
  2. The Morgan Hotel
  3. Fitzsimons Hotel Temple Bar
The other nightlife area is Harcourt Street - this is where the Irish go for late night bars and clubs, this is where Dublin companies have their Christmas Work Parties
There are a number of hotels on Harcourt Street
  1. Russel Court Hotel
  2. The Dean
  3. O'Callaghans
  4. The Harcourt Hotel

I am booked at Jury’s Inn Christ Church. I am glad you recommend it.

I pass by that hotel a few times a week so I know the area very well. Its opposite Christchurch Cathedral and the Dublin Viking Exhibition called Dublina. St Patricks Cathedral is located down the hill. There is a famous fish and chip shop called Leo Burdocks around the corner.

Dame Street is the big long street which will bring you the city centre. Christchurch is at one end of Dame Street and Trinity College / Book of Kells is at the other end. Dublin Castle is about half way between the two.

It will take about 20 minutes to walk from ChristChurch Cathedral to Trinity College. Buses and taxis use Dame street so you can always get transportation if walking is too much

I pass by that hotel a few times a week so I know the area very well. Its opposite Christchurch Cathedral and the Dublin Viking Exhibition called Dublina. St Patricks Cathedral is located down the hill. There is a famous fish and chip shop called Leo Burdocks around the corner.

Dame Street is the big long street which will bring you the city centre. Christchurch is at one end of Dame Street and Trinity College / Book of Kells is at the other end. Dublin Castle is about half way between the two.

It will take about 20 minutes to walk from ChristChurch Cathedral to Trinity College. Buses and taxis use Dame street so you can always get transportation if walking is too much
Thank you so much! We will be there the first week of October. Looking forward to a first trip to Ireland.

Recently stayed a week at The Shelbourne. It's a Marriott property part of the Autograph collection. We stayed on points so if you're a Marriott Bonvoy member, it's worth checking out. Excellent location right by St Stephens Green.

We stayed at the Westin Dublin. Loved it! Beautiful hotel, might be out of price range

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter