Duck Dynasty and Phil Robertson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, apparently A&E is starting a national public service campaign "promoting unity, tolerance, and acceptance" on all of their networks (including Lifetime and the History Channel), which indicates that they don't want this happening again. I think both sides will tread more carefully going forward.

As I said, I have met a lot of Phils in my life and I can say with certainty that you are gravely mistaken. He won't tread more carefully. If anything, he'll step it up.

As for A&E's public service campaign.....How can I even take that seriously? "We stand for XYZ, unless you make us a fortune and then all bets are off."

As I said, I have met a lot of Phils in my life and I can say with certainty that you are gravely mistaken. He won't tread more carefully. If anything, he'll step it up.

As for A&E's public service campaign.....How can I even take that seriously? "We stand for XYZ, unless you make us a fortune and then all bets are off."

We'll see...I've worked in the media for a long time, and I can say with just as much certainty that they don't want to have to deal with this again.

EW has a pretty good wrap up of the whole thing:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/12/27/duck-dynasty-why-ae-backed-down/

And just what is A&E going to do to stop Phil and company from saying whatever they please? That is laughable given what has happened. A&E has no power here.

A&E has a way more money and influence than a flash in the pan like the Robertsons. If it gets pushed, I am sure A&E will just cancel the show and move on to the next Honney Boo Boo, desparate housewife, Ice road trucker, fliping vegas show they want. There are tons of scripted stories out there that will make them more money the next time. And if the Robertsons push it too far, they will prob loose a big chunk of change in the breech of contract suit they will be facing. The courts don't care about public opinion when it comes to business contracts.

Exactly. He follows his faith.

Everyone who is so "outraged", please read the entire interview.

Yes, please do and you will find where he compared gay people to terrorists and of course the insight he gave about slavery and African-American's....give me a break, he's an ignorant, mean-spirited, hateful person and it's unfortunate that our country as a whole supports and pays people to simply be this.

We'll see...I've worked in the media for a long time, and I can say with just as much certainty that they don't want to have to deal with this again.

EW has a pretty good wrap up of the whole thing:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/12/27/duck-dynasty-why-ae-backed-down/

Of course A&E doesn't want to deal with this again. They came off looking like spineless sellouts who "stand" for something until it costs them money. But as soon as Phil decides to open his mouth again, (and he will) they will have to deal with it again.

You may know media, but Phil & Co. are not the media. As soon as this story broke, I said Hell would freeze over before he apologized and the family would back him and call A&E's bluff. It's who/what they are.

IMHO, A&E did not "suspend" Phil because they were outraged by what he said. They suspended him to get publicity. Period. Otherwise, they wouldn't have run a DD marathon. They would have pulled all DD merchandise and refused to profit from it. But they did none of that. In fact, DD merchandise sold out in many stores and A&E laughed all the way to the bank.

This attempt to suck up to the LGBT community by running public service ads ought to be seen as what it is. A pathetic attempt to play both sides and make money off everyone. I don't think they are actually losing any sleep over lack of acceptance, etc. It's the bottom line that keeps A&E execs awake at night.

Well, apparently A&E is starting a national public service campaign "promoting unity, tolerance, and acceptance" on all of their networks (including Lifetime and the History Channel), which indicates that they don't want this happening again. I think both sides will tread more carefully going forward.

It indicates they are doing damage control.

Of course A&E doesn't want to deal with this again. They came off looking like spineless sellouts who "stand" for something until it costs them money. But as soon as Phil decides to open his mouth again, (and he will) they will have to deal with it again.

You may know media, but Phil & Co. are not the media. As soon as this story broke, I said Hell would freeze over before he apologized and the family would back him and call A&E's bluff. It's who/what they are.

IMHO, A&E did not "suspend" Phil because they were outraged by what he said. They suspended him to get publicity. Period. Otherwise, they wouldn't have run a DD marathon. They would have pulled all DD merchandise and refused to profit from it. But they did none of that. In fact, DD merchandise sold out in many stores and A&E laughed all the way to the bank.

This attempt to suck up to the LGBT community by running public service ads ought to be seen as what it is. A pathetic attempt to play both sides and make money off everyone. I don't think they are actually losing any sleep over lack of acceptance, etc. It's the bottom line that keeps A&E execs awake at night.

A&e is doing damage control just like other companies do every day. Next time they'll likely just cancel the show. Of course a&e knows what this family is about just like tlc knows what the duggars are about. The shows are heavily edited to stay on contracted message the big difference here is the Robertson's don't need a&e money like most other reality families. These reality stars are employed by their respective networks and follow network policy or leave.

I have no problem with people living by their convictions and politely stating them. I read the interview and this guy crossed a respect/tolerance line imo.

All I'm going to add to this lovely discussion is, he listed a whole host of sins. Not an all-inclusive list, but a good list none-the-less. He also said we are ALL sinners, himself included. Where are the adultere's? The drunkards? The fornicators? (Old world words, I know, but there ya go). Why aren't they crying out in a loud voice? The Bible clearly states these as sins, he was repeating it. Any Christian who believes in the Bible believes the same. Does that mean we don't value life? Or rights? NO! We are to stand up for those who are mistreated, care for those who can't care for themselves. Just because someone is a sinner doesn't mean we hate them or are bigoted. We would have to hate everyone on the planet, ourselves included. It amazes me when people hear the words "sin" they just fly off the handle. Again, we are ALL sinners, have been since the Garden of Eden.

While I do not agree with Phil and I am an atheist to boot, I still say make reality shows REAL. Allow people the freedom to speak their convictions.

I certainly expected A&E to reverse their decision. Phil is the "leader" so to speak of the family.

I do have to give props to the Dynasty family for telling A&E to go pound sand, which you know they did.

I say this will be a new trend in programming. REAL Reality Shows. :lmao:

I can't find that (autobiography quote) anywhere. I defend your right to say how you feel. Do you defend mine and his? If not, that's a sad commentary on this country.

Yes I do and if you work for me and start spewing racist/anti semtic/ anit gay, anti any thing in a public forum such as a newspaper, radio, magazine etc I will support your right to say it and you will have tons of extra time to say it because you will no longer be an employee.

Please, I've asked this before, where do folks work that they can do this and NOT get fired? Seriously.

My employee knows my lifestyle (heterosexual) and I could be a member of XYZ hate group. The nanosecond I start spewing that hate on the job, off the job, in public, via company email, in the news, I will be fired.

Every year we sign a code of ethics, which pretty much encompasses this silliness. we violate that code of ethics we get canned.

Sure I defend your right to think or do whatever your heart desires. I also defend your right to accept the consequences of your actions.

That's what you don't seem to accept. The problem isn't pc. the problem is that folks who have been taking this crap for centuries no longer are being silent and are no longer afraid to confront bigotry dressed up in religion. Wrapping the lord around it don't make it pretty.

Native Americans are no longer going to quietly accept NFL teams using their likeness derogatorily just because it's tradition.
Gay, lesbian, bisexual folks are no longer going to quietly accept folks on tv mocking them and calling them names.
As an African American we are no longer going to quietly accept our sons being always portrayed as thugs and hoods and our daughters as hoochie mama welfare queens.

So by all means, exercise your right to speak any way you wish just be ready to hear us roar back, man up and stop using the bill of rights as an excuse.

Welcome to the this country 2014

A&E were being hypocrites. They knew who he was and what he stood for when they signed them. As a bible believing Christian, he did nothing more than quote the bible which is the basis of his beliefs. Just because some think it's "not pc" doesn't mean it's not something that plenty of people don't believe. I also think people need to read the entire interview and quit basing their opinions on soundbites and quotes. He said a lot more and what he said is part of his belief system. No one has the right to tell him what he can and can't believe. It works both ways folks.

I have a hard time believing that YOU read the entire interview, because he most certainly did more than quote the bible...

Yes I do and if you work for me and start spewing racist/anti semtic/ anit gay, anti any thing in a public forum such as a newspaper, radio, magazine etc I will support your right to say it and you will have tons of extra time to say it because you will no longer be an employee.

Please, I've asked this before, where do folks work that they can do this and NOT get fired? Seriously.

My employee knows my lifestyle (heterosexual) and I could be a member of XYZ hate group. The nanosecond I start spewing that hate on the job, off the job, in public, via company email, in the news, I will be fired.

Every year we sign a code of ethics, which pretty much encompasses this silliness. we violate that code of ethics we get canned.

Sure I defend your right to think or do whatever your heart desires. I also defend your right to accept the consequences of your actions.

That's what you don't seem to accept. The problem isn't pc. the problem is that folks who have been taking this crap for centuries no longer are being silent and are no longer afraid to confront bigotry dressed up in religion. Wrapping the lord around it don't make it pretty.

Native Americans are no longer going to quietly accept NFL teams using their likeness derogatorily just because it's tradition.
Gay, lesbian, bisexual folks are no longer going to quietly accept folks on tv mocking them and calling them names.
As an African American we are no longer going to quietly accept our sons being always portrayed as thugs and hoods and our daughters as hoochie mama welfare queens.

So by all means, exercise your right to speak any way you wish just be ready to hear us roar back, man up and stop using the bill of rights as an excuse.

He wasn't at work when he stated his personal beliefs, although he apparently has never hidden them. If you can't express your personal faith and beliefs privately, in a conversation, an interview, etc. then we do have a problem in this country. No one said you can state this at your place of work or business, but I don't want to think that anyone can't state their personal feelings on their own time....

I've heard just as bad and worse from your side too.

BTW, the other side uses the bill of rights all the time. How else do you think judges justify overturning laws that the people have voted into place?

Be as loud as you want, but allow everyone to be so. You are so angry. Everyone else seems to be having (or trying to) a logical, calm discussion. No one has the market on feelings or beliefs. My DH did 30 years in the US Navy and while he doesn't agree with everyone, he did personally defend their right to say it.

I think this is a good thing personally. Let everyone "be real" and then you know where they stand so you can make an informed decision to where to hand over your cash or time.

Take Chick Fil A for example. The owner revealed that he donates profits of the company to homosexual deprogramming groups.

That is enough for me to stop eating there as I do not agree with that practice.

At least now I know his stance and I can make an decision to stop eating there.

Keeping things silenced and edited on TV is not doing us any favors if you want to be an informed consumer or give your money/time to groups.

He wasn't at work when he stated his personal beliefs, although he apparently has never hidden them. If you can't express your personal faith and beliefs privately, in a conversation, an interview, etc. then we do have a problem in this country. No one said you can't state this at your place of work or business, but I don't want to think that anyone can't state their personal feelings on their own time....

BTW, the other side uses the bill of rights all the time. How else do you think judges justify overturning laws that the people have voted into place?

Be as loud as you want, but allow everyone to be so.

It doesn't matter. He decided to make his opinions public and that's all he has the right to do. He doesn't have the right to dictate what people in response. Whether you like it or not the words "with any consequence whatsoevef" aren't found anywhere in the first amendment. Also, the other side uses the bill of rights or Constitution as a whole when it applies. They don't start whining about it when it has absolutely no bearing on the matter at hand. Phil Robertson wasn't put in jail or otherwise punished by the government so his first amendment rights haven't been violated.

He wasn't at work when he stated his personal beliefs, although he apparently has never hidden them. If you can't express your personal faith and beliefs privately, in a conversation, an interview, etc. then we do have a problem in this country. No one said you can't state this at your place of work or business, but I don't want to think that anyone can't state their personal feelings on their own time....

Be as loud as you want, but allow everyone to be so.

The difference is that he was acting as a spokesman for the company. The interview was for the show. When you are representing your employer they have a right to suspend/fire you if what you say may bring harm to the company. He has every right to say as he wishes and A&E has the right to do what they did. It is not a free speech issue, his rights were not violated and he wasn't thrown in jail because of what he said. I do not agree with anything he said but he has the right to say it.

Keeping things silenced and edited on TV is not doing us any favors

:thumbsup2

Here's a novel idea, if you don't like the message just don't listen to it, don't demand it be silenced just because you don't like what is being said.

Trying to shut down people like PR is a little too "lets control the masses so they all think alike" for my taste. This is a country filled with people who have the right to believe what they want, maybe its citizens should stop wining when people believe something they don't like.

FTR, I don't agree with PR but I certainly don't agree that we need to silence everyone and anyone just because we don't agree or like what they have to say. We have the choice to ignore it.

The difference is that he was acting as a spokesman for the company. The interview was for the show. When you are representing your employer they have a right to suspend/fire you if what you say may bring harm to the company. He has every right to say as he wishes and A&E has the right to do what they did. It is not a free speech issue, his rights were not violated and he wasn't thrown in jail because of what he said. I do not agree with anything he said but he has the right to say it.

Exactly.

A&E knows they will have to eventually scrap DD. However they are going to "push it" and see what happens.

They could care less about speech, morals, people, etc...All they care about is RATINGS!

I am telling you, I see a new trend coming in programming. People are growing weary of the scripted "Running Man" and want to see the inner soul of people. They do not need to script controversy any longer to get people's attention.

It doesn't matter. He decided to make his opinions public and that's all he has the right to do. He doesn't have the right to dictate what people in response. Whether you like it or not the words "with any consequence whatsoevef" aren't found anywhere in the first amendment. Also, the other side uses the bill of rights or Constitution as a whole when it applies. They don't start whining about it when it has absolutely no bearing on the matter at hand. Phil Robertson wasn't put in jail or otherwise punished by the government so his first amendment rights haven't been violated.

No, he doesn't have a constitutional right to spew his vile comments. The 1st Amendment only protects us from the government interfering with our right to free speech and even then there are restrictions.

For example, if a teacher made those comments they would be fired even though a teacher works for the government.

He could not have sued A&E for violating his 1st Amendment rights because A&E are not the government.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter