Duck Dynasty and Phil Robertson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious as I don't watch the show.
Does he use it as a pulpit to preach his "vile" comments, intolerance and hate for homosexuals and blacks, and anyone else? Does he use it to uncourage others to fight against the laws, or fight to take away those in place that have given those people equal rights?

I have only watched a handful of shows, but I have never once heard anything against anyone uttered.

Does he use it as a pulpit to preach his "vile" comments, intolerance and hate for homosexuals and blacks, and anyone else? Does he use it to encourage others to fight against the laws, or fight to take away those in place that have given those people equal rights?

Nope.

You know this whole thing was one big publicity stunt and a&e was in on it from the beginning. The duck dynasty people are about as real as the kardashians. (Google duck dynasty before the show to see their before photos). Guess what they have been discussed for several weeks by the media, by the public. They and a&e have made millions and now they are guaranteed spectacular ratings for their premiere. If you think he didn't know exactly what he was doing and saying when he said it, I have some land to sell you. He's not a country bumpkin. He made a calculated move I'm willing to bet with a&e blessing and now they are reaping the benefits.

Ok, lets just say for the sake of the argument that it totally slipped his mind that those glory days he was being nostalgic about included segregation, lynchings, etc., and that was not was he was referring to - how then did he make the leap to talk about black people and welfare?

How did that come up? And how is that ok, in any context?

I'm not saying it's necessarily "ok". I'm simply saying we should argue what was actually said and not what we might think was implied.

You know this whole thing was one big publicity stunt and a&e was in on it from the beginning. The duck dynasty people are about as real as the kardashians. (Google duck dynasty before the show to see their before photos). Guess what they have been discussed for several weeks by the media, by the public. They and a&e have made millions and now they are guaranteed spectacular ratings for their premiere. If you think he didn't know exactly what he was doing and saying when he said it, I have some land to sell you. He's not a country bumpkin. He made a calculated move I'm willing to bet with a&e blessing and now they are reaping the benefits.

:thumbsup2

First of all, I apologize for not having read all 19 pages of this thread. I come to this late in the game.

There are two things I'd like to say:

The President of Human Rights has suggested a conversation between his organization, A&E, Phil Robertson, and the NAACP. Perhaps something that would air on A&E. I think this is an excellent idea. Not that everyone will watch the show, but at least it will get seen in clip form and discussed on the internet. If something good comes from all this, a modicum of understanding, then I think this will advance everyone's understanding and compassion.

Secondly, I also would like to point out the general idea that I do not think Jesus would disapprove of a mutual, loving relationship between two adults.

Evidently there are some biblical scholars that have analyzed the text in Greek, and they say that the passages as written do not mention homosexuality, but are probably more referring to pederasty. I do not say all scholars believe this. I have no idea.

Ultimately, A&E is not worried about the public boycotting Duck Dynasty. They are worried, however, about the public boycotting all of A&E. That could be a problem.

None of this is about political correctness, It is all about sympathy. Which I learned form the movie, "42", is from the Greek meaning 'to suffer.' To suffer for someone. To have sympathy for those who love and want to marry but are denied because of some longstanding prejudice.

Does he use it as a pulpit to preach his "vile" comments, intolerance and hate for homosexuals and blacks, and anyone else? Does he use it to encourage others to fight against the laws, or fight to take away those in place that have given those people equal rights?

No he doesn't. He, nor the others, preach anything on the show. It is scripted by them (or so I read) and it involves family. Phil and Kay with their grandkids, the guys at the Duck Commander, the relationship between Phil and Kay or one of the brothers and his wife. Some group of them going fishing or hunting.

In the Christmas show they were putting together a play for church and Phil, Kay and Jep's wife went hog hunting. They never even really went over the story of Christmas.

They will all mention the Bible occasionally but not any scripture.

The show ends with all of them around the dinner table and saying a prayer.

That was 1 website. There were many. If it were such a minority, why did A & E cave and bring Phil back?
because they were in on it. It's all a huge publicity stunt. And it worked!
Also the same people can like or join multiple websites. You know like some people may be on the dis boards and easy wdw boards

because they were in on it. It's all a huge publicity stunt. And it worked!
Also the same people can like or join multiple websites. You know like some people may be on the dis boards and easy wdw boards

Possibly. Maybe not.

A & E didn't seem to think so.

That was 1 website. There were many. If it were such a minority, why did A & E cave and bring Phil back?

Those are fans of the show, not the majority of Americans. I'm sure Jersey Shore had a million or so fans as well. And they would have protested if Snookie was suspended.

Those are fans of the show, not the majority of Americans. I'm sure Jersey Shore had a million or so fans as well.

You may be right. For some reason Duck Dynasty has the largest following of any cable show. There viewership is at around 11.8 million.

no because the whole thing was a ploy and did exactly what they wanted. They made millions on merchandise and are guaranteed great rating for the premiere.

Like I said, you may be right. Maybe not. We don't have the inside track.

You may be right. For some reason Duck Dynasty has the largest following of any cable show. There viewership is at around 11.8 million.

And even if they all think Phil is a brilliant philosopher and support his views it's still a minority of the nation. And millions of those people could be watching because they think they are idiots too. Like Honey ****oo.

Because, the way I read the interview, he did not compare anything, In the part he paraphrased, the sins are listed together. He was saying that if we decide one of these is not a sin, it will then morph into saying something else is not a sin,

And before anyone goes into what else is listed in the Old Testament as a sin, he was taking from the New Testament.

I read it as comparing the two, like first homosexual activity, the beastiity and other defiant behavior. I went back and reread and can see how he might have meant it the way you think he did. I hope so.

I'm not saying it's necessarily "ok". I'm simply saying we should argue what was actually said and not what we might think was implied.

So still racist, just maybe not in the wAy some people felt was implied.

The family has been clear that they and their products were better sold with the beards. As well as the show being scripted. So it isn't a big find that they looked different before the show.

I do not agree with them just for the record.

No he doesn't. He, nor the others, preach anything on the show. It is scripted by them (or so I read) and it involves family. Phil and Kay with their grandkids, the guys at the Duck Commander, the relationship between Phil and Kay or one of the brothers and his wife. Some group of them going fishing or hunting.

In the Christmas show they were putting together a play for church and Phil, Kay and Jep's wife went hog hunting. They never even really went over the story of Christmas.

They will all mention the Bible occasionally but not any scripture.

The show ends with all of them around the dinner table and saying a prayer.

Then all this is just manufactured outrage (Bravo GQ!).
When he starts using his beliefs to oppress others then they'll be a reason to be outraged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter