Duck Dynasty and Phil Robertson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope it changes soon too. Shame to think that a gay man will molest a child simply because he's "gay". So RIDICULOUS!!!! Being gay dos not equal pervert. Too bad people can't see that. Just this last month, a well respected youth pastor was revealed as a child molester. I bet he would have been accepted as a boy scout leader in a heart beat.

Totally agree. There was also a big broohaha earlier this year about all the records the boy scout organization had documenting abuse kids suffered at the hands of leaders that they covered up. Interesting that they wouldn't allow gay scout leaders because of unfounded fears like this but allowed known sexual abusers to continue to be scout leaders.

If I were a parent of a boy scout, whether my child was a victim or not, I would have sued them for all they were worth. And I'm not the type to sue either.

Duck Dynasty is trademarked by A&E. So any duck dynasty merchandise sold they get profits. Duck Commander is owned by the Robinsons. Cracker Barrel never took the Duck Commander merch down. The stuff at walmart - duck dynasty. Guess who is taking a large deposit to the bank.

Cracker Barrel had their duck commander 40% on Friday when I ran in for some candy. I think they aren't trustworthy when it comes to what they are or aren't doing

What? We can't have 64 states? :rotfl:

Nope, sorry lol. And 18 x 3 is 54, not 64. Although, and I'm going to show my ignorance here, do territories like Puerto Rico and Guam have the ability to make their own laws? Could they pass laws legalizing gay marriage? If they do then we could get above 54. So there is hope yet.

Duck Dynasty is trademarked by A&E. So any duck dynasty merchandise sold they get profits. Duck Commander is owned by the Robinsons. Cracker Barrel never took the Duck Commander merch down. The stuff at walmart - duck dynasty. Guess who is taking a large deposit to the bank.

I know who owns what, that's what I said.

CB took down (or from their statement) the merchandise with Phil's likeness or his sayings. They put it back but they never removed all of anything. Their statement was that they wished to not offend anyone and they came back and said they now realize that by removing the products they were offending a huge amount of their customer base.

Are you then saying that this was done as a publicity stunt by the Robertsons or by A&E? or both? My question was, if A&E did this purposely, how did they not lose in merchandise sales? Duck Commander merchandise is everywhere that Duck Dynasty stuff is, it was easy to notice during the holidays. Academy was restocking the Commander items every time I was in there, DD wasn't selling. Same way at other stores.

Nope, sorry lol. And 18 x 3 is 54, not 64. Although, and I'm going to show my ignorance here, do territories like Puerto Rico and Guam have the ability to make their own laws? Could they pass laws legalizing gay marriage? If they do then we could get above 54. So there is hope yet.

fat finger typo :rotfl2: Just can't seem to get it right.

There are a few states that want to split too. I know a county in our state had a ballot measure this past November to become their own state as they felt they didn't get enough attention.

Yes, stunning. In a bad way, IMO. I think people who make racist and anti/gay comments should have some repercussions, like people taking their business to another place.

But that's not happening. The repercussions in the business world are the business owners are made to sell their wares to those they slandered. Personally, I wouldn't want someone to make any food for me when they didn't want to. That's just me, but I know that's more of a victory and a statement to do so.

This thing reminds me of Bill Maher referring to Paula Deen, when he said something like -- "Do we have to make people go away?". He didn't agree with PD but he was musing. I wonder if others shared his sentiment in this case? I don't know.

Those two cases had hugely different outcomes, all in the same year. Granted, different variables but still.

Cracker Barrel had their duck commander 40% on Friday when I ran in for some candy. I think they aren't trustworthy when it comes to what they are or aren't doing

They made their apology on the 22nd, which was last Sunday.

An employee said on their FB page that the Phil items were removed and the rest put on 40% which is unheard of at CB.

fat finger typo :rotfl2: Just can't seem to get it right.

There are a few states that want to split too. I know a county in our state had a ballot measure this past November to become their own state as they felt they didn't get enough attention.

Ah yes, good point. I know every couple of years the Upper Peninsula of Michigan a movement to become their own state crops up.

Ok, the biggest reality show on cable. And that has what to do with what I was asking?

And like Jane said, if he is so unimportant, why do you care what he did or didn't say?

IDK why did white people in the north care about what was happening to black people in the south in the 60s. Why did nonjews care about what was happening to european jews in the 30s and 40s. Why do I care because I have many gay friends and I care about them. I have an african amercian daughter and I care about her. And even if I didn't, I as a human care about the treatment of other humans. And when anyone, never mind someone who by has a built in audience tries to compare a loving relationship between two consenting adults to sex with animals or says my daughter would be happier under jim crowe laws, I care.

Key word is imply. I did not get that from the interview. I got that he was relaying how he felt at the time. That he did not know or realize they were unhappy.

We all know slavery in hindsight was absolutely horrible...but there were many slaves who were "happy" in their positions bc they did not know any better. They were lost and displaced when slavery ended. This was the only life they had known. It has stated in many history books that many house slaves had no where to go when the war ended, they were "happy" living in the mansions and they were treated well by their masters, so the people around them at the time probably thought they were happy. So if asked that question, they might say sure she was happy or so I thought. Even though they now know from history that slavery was wrong, horrible and that these particular people although "happy" were not free.

Here is your quote again.

You did not claim that the impression that white people had was that the slaves were happy, you said the slaves were happy because they didn't know any better and that they were treated well by their masters.

To suggest that any race that was enslaved and treated as, essentially, livestock was happy, or at least too ignorant to know that they were unhappy is highly offensive.

No slaves were treated well. I won't go into a lot of details because this is, supposedly, a family friendly board, but the details are gruesome, to say the least. Perhaps you should seek out other books or texts that show what slavery was really about and show the real attitude people had toward black people, attitudes that, obviously, still exist.

I know who owns what, that's what I said.

CB took down (or from their statement) the merchandise with Phil's likeness or his sayings. They put it back but they never removed all of anything. Their statement was that they wished to not offend anyone and they came back and said they now realize that by removing the products they were offending a huge amount of their customer base.

Are you then saying that this was done as a publicity stunt by the Robertsons or by A&E? or both? My question was, if A&E did this purposely, how did they not lose in merchandise sales? Duck Commander merchandise is everywhere that Duck Dynasty stuff is, it was easy to notice during the holidays. Academy was restocking the Commander items every time I was in there, DD wasn't selling. Same way at other stores.
Of course both were in on it. Duck Dynasty ratings were dropping pretty much every week. Yeah it started at 11.9 but the season finale was below the ratings of the previous season finale. They needed to shake it up a bit. a little controversy, a little media attention, and now they are guaranteed a killer season opener rating. The merch money is just icing on the cake. The real money for A&E is in commercials during the show. The higher the ratings the higher the price per spot. For the Robinsons they get a higher per episode salary if they produce higher ratings and they get their merch money. So its a win win for everyone. Well unless you're gay or black.

IDK why did white people in the north care about what was happening to black people in the south in the 60s. Why did nonjews care about what was happening to european jews in the 30s and 40s. Why do I care because I have many gay friends and I care about them. I have an african amercian daughter and I care about her. And even if I didn't, I as a human care about the treatment of other humans. And when anyone, never mind someone who by has a built in audience tries to compare a loving relationship between two consenting adults to sex with animals or says my daughter would be happier under jim crowe laws, I care.

He's one man, and you are trying to equate his comments in a magazine interview with the actions of many?

He's a man with a following of apparently devoted fans who he influences.

Influences to do what, to have an opinion you don't share or like?

Here is his influence from that interview, notice the bolded. While I may not agree with his religious beliefs, and I can't say his comments about growing up are true or false, I can say that he doesn't make any claims that his followers do anything other than what is stated below.
We never, ever judge someone on whos going to heaven, hell. Thats the Almightys job. We just love em, give em the good news about Jesuswhether theyre homosexuals, drunks, terrorists. We let God sort em out later, you see what Im saying?

So still racist, just maybe not in the wAy some people felt was implied.

Could be. There are any number of ways that comment could be taken, and that seems the most obvious. Either way, I believe the comment is more relating to current events than it is to the past.

And even if they all think Phil is a brilliant philosopher and support his views it's still a minority of the nation. And millions of those people could be watching because they think they are idiots too. Like Honey ****oo.

There is no doubt the comic relief is one of the draws - both among those who identify with the Robertsons, and those who do not. Most fans of the show love Uncle Si, and he's clearly nuts :lmao:

There is no doubt the comic relief is one of the draws - both among those who identify with the Robertsons, and those who do not. Most fans of the show love Uncle Si, and he's clearly nuts :lmao:

Oh I love Si lol. I will admit I am not religious at all and strongly disagree with Phils statements in GQ. However, I find the show to be hysterical and love watching it. In this day and age of most reality tv shows about people behaving badly I must say DD is a bit of a breathe of fresh air.

Oh I love Si lol. I will admit I am not religious at all and strongly disagree with Phils statements in GQ. However, I find the show to be hysterical and love watching it. In this day and age of most reality tv shows about people behaving badly I must say DD is a bit of a breathe of fresh air.

Si is our favorite, too. :)

Or it's a cop out to think all those viewers agree with them and think they are wonderful?

And all I did was make suggestion as to why the high viewership. It seemed like you were implying that all those viewers equal that many people sharing his views.

Again millions of people watch Real Housewives, Honeyboo boo , etc. is that because they admire the people on these shows or enjoy laughing at them?

My brush was no broader than yours.

Just to be clear, there really isn't anything controversial that happens ON the actual show. Even the evening prayer at the end is pretty neutral - example, there was an episode where one of Phil's grandchildren got his driver's license. And at the end of the show, they gave thanks for the meal they were about to receive and asked God to keep guide the grandson to be a safe driver. And that's pretty typical of the nightly prayer.

Also, unlike some of these "reality" shows where people tune in to laugh AT the stars, it is very clear the Robertsons know they are the butt of the joke (when there is one) and are perfectly okay laughing at themselves. I don't think Paris Hilton (for example) ever got that SHE was the one everyone was laughing at on her show.

So why all this faux outrage about someone you deem unimportant?

What Phil Robertson says has no bearing on my life. The only people that can hurt me are people I personally know and care about - friends and family.

Getting upset at every perceived slight must be exhausting. I choose not to live that way.

Ok, the biggest reality show on cable. And that has what to do with what I was asking?

And like Jane said, if he is so unimportant, why do you care what he did or didn't say?

I'm just having fun. Isn't that what it's all about? Why does it bother you that I point out things that I find to be of relevance? Isn't that what this thread is all about?

As to why I'm not reading/interpreting his comments the way so many want me to read them is that he hasn't walked them back or sought to clarify them. Res ipsa loquitur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter