Duck Dynasty and Phil Robertson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to be clear, there really isn't anything controversial that happens ON the actual show. Even the evening prayer at the end is pretty neutral - example, there was an episode where one of Phil's grandchildren got his driver's license. And at the end of the show, they gave thanks for the meal they were about to receive and asked God to keep guide the grandson to be a safe driver. And that's pretty typical of the nightly prayer.

Also, unlike some of these "reality" shows where people tune in to laugh AT the stars, it is very clear the Robertsons know they are the butt of the joke (when there is one) and are perfectly okay laughing at themselves. I don't think Paris Hilton (for example) ever got that SHE was the one everyone was laughing at on her show.

"Please God let there not be a key!!!!"

"Roughing it, to Willie, is only having three settings on his sleep number bed."

Well, I mean do you blame either of them? I sure wouldn't want to be handcuffed to Si when he has to pee every 30 minutes because he drinks so much tea and it was hysterical to watch. I can't say that if I was in Jase's position I wouldn't pretend I didn't know where the key was either.

Influences to do what, to have an opinion you don't share or like?

Here is his influence from that interview, notice the bolded. While I may not agree with his religious beliefs, and I can't say his comments about growing up are true or false, I can say that he doesn't make any claims that his followers do anything other than what is stated below.

You really don't see how a person's words can influence others actions. He is saying its ok to hate gays. Change the group from gay to black, or jewish or any other minority group and see what the reaction would be. The KKK and other hate groups use a similar tactic. They don't tell their young members to go out and do anything and will say we don't condone violence but when it happens well it happens. Am I saying he is trying to influence people toward violence, no but he didn't exactly choose his words carefully did he. Its not like he said I believe marriage should be between a man and a woman. He choose to make a big splash to maximize his exposure and profit, consequences be damned. His show is going to have huge ratings. He is going to make millions more at conservative speaking engagements. But hey he's just a poor redneck and what does he know, right.

You really don't see how a person's words can influence others actions. He is saying its ok to hate gays. Change the group from gay to black, or jewish or any other minority group and see what the reaction would be. The KKK and other hate groups use a similar tactic. They don't tell their young members to go out and do anything and will say we don't condone violence but when it happens well it happens. Am I saying he is trying to influence people toward violence, no but he didn't exactly choose his words carefully did he. Its not like he said I believe marriage should be between a man and a woman. He choose to make a big splash to maximize his exposure and profit, consequences be damned. His show is going to have huge ratings. He is going to make millions more at conservative speaking engagements. But hey he's just a poor redneck and what does he know, right.

Actually take a look at what he said. "He is at NO point to judge. That is up to the Almighty to do." All he said was that the list of things are listed as sins in the Bible.

Actually take a look at what he said. "He is at NO point to judge. That is up to the Almighty to do." All he said was that the list of things are listed as sins in the Bible.

Plus added in some things about various body parts then talked about black people on welfare.

You and I see what he said very differently as I see no words of hate. I see a religious man discussing his views on what is sinful, homosexuality being one sin among several. (Which should not be surprising to anyone as there are millions of people's whose same religious beliefs dictate that). I see his comments about pre-civil rights era blacks as his opinion on what he personally witnessed, not what he thinks the world should be like today.
If his followers see his words as hate, that hate was already there within them and they are using what he said as an excuse, you can't hold Phil responsible for that. If they choose to act out on their hate, again not something you can hold Phil responsible for.

You and I see what he said very differently as I see no words of hate. I see a religious man discussing his views on what is sinful, homosexuality being one sin among several. (Which should not be surprising to anyone as there are millions of people's whose same religious beliefs dictate that). I see his comments about pre-civil rights era blacks as his opinion on what he personally witnessed, not what he thinks the world should be like today.
If his followers see his words as hate, that hate was already there within them and they are using what he said as an excuse, you can't hold Phil responsible for that. If they choose to act out on their hate, again not something you can hold Phil responsible for.

So how does the black people/welfare association come into play? Why would he bring that up? What was he implying with that?

So how does the black people/welfare association come into play? Why would he bring that up? What was he implying with that?

It's clear he disagrees with the program from a moral perspective. What more he's trying to say is anyone's guess. Is he trying to say these programs have made blacks lazy? Maybe. Is he trying to say these programs have become a new form of enslavement? Maybe, though I'm not getting that.

I have no idea, from what I saw of the article online there was just his comment in a blue box with the header Phil on growing up in Louisiana or something to that effect.
I have no idea the context in which that comment was meant because it appears it was (conveniently) left out of the published article. If I missed the actual questions and discussions that lead to that comment please feel free to post them as I would love to see exactly what was said, as I'm sure everyone else would too. I just re-scanned the article and don't think I missed it.
Regardless, I still don't see any messages of hate even with that comment taken out of context.

I have no idea, from what I saw of the article online there was just his comment in a blue box with the header Phil on growing up in Louisiana or something to that effect.
I have no idea the context in which that comment was meant because it appears it was (conveniently) left out of the published article. If I missed the actual questions and discussions that lead to that comment please feel free to post them as I would love to see exactly what was said, as I'm sure everyone else would too. I just re-scanned the article and don't think I missed it.
Regardless, I still don't see any messages of hate even with that comment taken out of context.

From what I read, he didn't really elaborate.

I think if I was him I would want the full context out there. If he was asked what he thought about black people getting welfare, then his answer might have a different interpretation. But if that's just what came to mind when being asked about growing up in the segregated south(which is how it seems) then that's racist IMO.

And based on this man's other comments, I'm not ready to give him the benefit of the doubt on that one.

I think if I was him I would want the full context out there. If he was asked what he thought about black people getting welfare, then his answer might have a different interpretation. But if that's just what came toons when being asked about growing up in the segregated south(which is how it seems) then that's racist IMO.

And based on this man's other comments, I'm not ready to give him the benefit of the doubt on that one.

Again its clear I am reading what he said way different. I don't think telling someone what you witnessed is racist. He grew up there, and from what he said he worked with blacks in the farms and he never saw unhappy.

I would really have to read the context in which he said it to form an opinion on why he did and what he meant by it. I think that it is unfair to assume he meant X,Y, or Z if I didn't.
Obviously you are okay with assuming what he meant and coming up with your own interpretation.

As far as what he would want, just given what I have read about him, he doesn't seem like the type who cares what people think.

And FTR, I'm not a DD fan, but I'm also not a fan of the media trying to shape my opinion by spinning the info one way.

Again its clear I am reading what he said way different. I don't think telling someone what you witnessed is racist. He grew up there, and from what he said he worked with blacks in the farms and he never saw unhappy.

I would really have to read the context in which he said it to form an opinion on why he did and what he meant on it. I think that it is unfair to assume he meant X,Y, or Z if I didn't.
Obviously you are okay with assuming what he meant and coming up with your own interpretation.

And FTR, I'm not a DD fan, but I'm also not a fan of the media trying to shape my opinion by spinning the info one way.

I don't think there really is a context that would make that better.

And the media just printed his comments. I read the article and it came off as racist to me. And since he's made no effort to clarify what he meant or the context...

The only spinning I see is trying to make what he said better some way.

I don't think there really is a context that would make that better. And the media just printed his comments. I read the article and it came off as racist to me. And since he's made no effort to clarify what he meant or the context... The only spinning I see is trying to make what he said better some way.

Problem is nobody is being quoted as to what was asked..... The transcripts weren't provided.

:confused3

Phil loves ALL people. I swear...some people in this thread have very selective memory. Was he over the top in his comments? Maybe. Could he have done the interview without describing gay sex? Yep, but if you (general you) have ever seen the show, you would know that he is not shy about speaking of body parts. He is a man of God, and the body is a natural, God given thing. He does not care about being PC. I support gay rights, but it is a fact that homosexuality is a sin according to the bible. Only God will decide if you can get into heaven, and Phil will be the first to say that. In fact, he has...multiple times. He is not anti-gay. He is pro-Bible. HUGE difference. I support him 100% and as for him being back on the show, that makes me happy, happy, happy. :goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter