Duck Dynasty and Phil Robertson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there really is a context that would make that better.

And the media just printed his comments. I read the article and it came off as racist to me. And since he's made no effort to clarify what he meant or the context...

The only spinning I see is trying to make what he said better some way.

Actually I see alot more trying to make what he said worse.
We have people saying he compared homosexulaity with bestiality, when all he did was list them both as sin (with a few others).
I'm pretty sure I've even seen someone say he said slavery was better.
I see people saying that his words make it okay to hate certain people.
I see people saying the context in which he said something doesn't make any difference. (Context always makes a difference, but its pretty easy to say it doesn't when what something appears to have meant favors your opinion).

We have people saying he compared homosexulaity with bestiality, when all he did was list them both as sin (with a few others).
I see people saying the context in which he said something doesn't make any difference. (Context always makes a difference, but its pretty easy to say it doesn't when what something appears to have meant favors your opinion).

Been a while since I read the bible, is that an actual bible quote where bestiality comes right after homosexuality in a list? I mean there are other sins.

And again, he's made no effort to try to clarify the context.

:confused3

Phil loves ALL people. I swear...some people in this thread have very selective memory. Was he over the top in his comments? Maybe. Could he have done the interview without describing gay sex? Yep, but if you (general you) have ever seen the show, you would know that he is not shy about speaking of body parts. He is a man of God, and the body is a natural, God given thing. He does not care about being PC. I support gay rights, but it is a fact that homosexuality is a sin according to the bible. Only God will decide if you can get into heaven, and Phil will be the first to say that. In fact, he has...multiple times. He is not anti-gay. He is pro-Bible. HUGE difference. I support him 100% and as for him being back on the show, that makes me happy, happy, happy. :goodvibes

Seems like you know him personally.

Seems like you know him personally.

Nope. Just watch the show (every episode, multiple times) and DD has Willie's book. They are a loving family, and we watch the show together. It's the only show on TV that actually has any morals. No adultery, no backstabbing, no bad language. We love it. Plus, it's the only show that I can watch the same episode 10 times and still laugh just as hard as the first time I saw it. There is so much love in that family, and it shows in every episode.

I hate to be that guy who pulls out definitions, but the definition of compare is to "note the similarity or dissimilarity between" which is what he did in listing sins, i.e. he noted the similarity of them as sins. He knew what he was doing, so you may see what you want in him, interpret his comments however you want to interpret them, but please stop trying to take words out of his mouth that he did, in fact, say.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11
New King James Version (NKJV)

9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals,[a] nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11
New International Version (NIV)

9 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men[a] 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

I don't have it in the Greek or Hebrew to know what the original wording was. As you can see, the "newer" the translation's tweak the words a bit. You would need to go to the Greek or Hebrew to know the original list and words. If you don't mind waiting, I can ask my father tomorrow, as he has them. I believe the point I and others have said is that he (Phil) gave a list of sins, none being more grievous than others, just a list. Others have tried to make it that he was singling one out or comparing it to something, but he was just giving a list.

Nope. Just watch the show (every episode, multiple times) and DD has Willie's book. They are a loving family, and we watch the show together. It's the only show on TV that actually has any morals. No adultery, no backstabbing, no bad language. We love it. Plus, it's the only show that I can watch the same episode 10 times and still laugh just as hard as the first time I saw it. There is so much love in that family, and it shows in every episode.
You do realize it is a tv show? And as such, everything that does not fit the image the network is trying to portray is edited out.

What you see on television, even reality tv, is fiction. If there was ever bad language, it would be edited out, if there was any backstabbing, it would be edited out. It does not fit the wholesome story line.

Unless you are a personal friend or a part of the family, none of us has any idea what they are like in real life.

You do realize it is a tv show? And as such, everything that does not fit the image the network is trying to portray is edited out.

What you see on television, even reality tv, is fiction. If there was ever bad language, it would be edited out, if there was any backstabbing, it would be edited out. It does not fit the wholesome story line.

Unless you are a personal friend or a part of the family, none of us has any idea what they are like in real life.

I've read enough by people that do know them personally and according to those people, what is portrayed on the show is exactly what they are like in real life.

You know as well as I do that as soon as the Robertson's became famous, people would come out of the woodwork to badmouth them if there was anything to tell. Other than Phil's past, which he has been very candid about, I've heard only positive things about them.

Of course I get that, that's why I said it was the only "show" on television with morals. Words can be edited and twisted (this thread is evidence of that), but you can't fake the love in that family. You can see it in their eyes. Edited or not, what is shown is a great, family friendly show. I wish there were more shows that displayed love and values like Duck Dynasty.

I couldn't agree with your last line more. Though, it seems that a lot of people in this thread think they know all about him. Many admitting they haven't even watched the show. :sad2:

For anyone interested in finding out a bit more about Phil and his family, watch the "I Am Second-The Robertsons" video on YouTube.

Okay, I get in your opinion because he isn't out there clarifying what he meant means he's guilty of whatever it is you think he is guilty of. You could be right, or it could be that he just doesn't give two you know whats about what people think he meant.
As far as what is listed in the bible, I haven't picked up a bible since my days in Catholic HS and to be honest I barely paid attention to what it said when I did :)

He compares them in the fact that they are considered sins, along with the other things he mentioned. I could list the things in my purse, but my cell phone and my feminine products aren't anywhere close to the same thing.
He doesn't compare the actual act of homosexulaty with the act of having sex with animals, which is what people seem to be in an uproar about. So you either know that and choose to go along with the sheeple and their manufactured outrage, or you need a new lesson in reading comprehension.

Ok, so when asked about homosexuality one of the first of the other sins to come to mind is bestiality.

And when asked about growing up in the pre civil rights south, the first thing that comes to mind is how black people are on welfare.

There are more gems out there from this Godly man, for example his advice to men is to marry women young 15 to 16 years old. By 20 they're too old.

Google Phil Robertson and young women and you'll hear the whole thing in context.

He's such a hoot.

Ok, so when asked about homosexuality one of the first of the other sins to come to mind is bestiality.

And when asked about growing up in the pre civil rights south, the first thing that comes to mind is how black people are on welfare.

There are more gems out there from this Godly man, for example his advice to men is to marry women young 15 to 16 years old. By 20 they're too old.

Google Phil Robertson and young women and you'll hear the whole thing in context.

He's such a hoot.

:rolleyes: Listen to the unedited version of that speech.

Better yet, never mind, it won't make a bit of difference.

:rolleyes: Listen to the unedited version of that speech.

Better yet, never mind, it won't make a bit of difference.

Link? Or just explain the context. Keep in mind he started dating his wife when he was an adult and she was 14.

Link? Or just explain the context. Keep in mind he started dating his white when he was an adult and she was 14.

Hmmm... I was 15 and my DH was 18. Is he weird? If so it must work, we've been married 26 1/2 years.

Link? Or just explain the context. Keep in mind he started dating his white when he was an adult and she was 14.

He was either 17 or 18 when they started dating in 1964 and were married 2 years later. I don't consider a 17 or 18 year old an adult.

We get it, you hate the guy because he doesn't believe exactly what you think he should believe.

I'm done arguing about it.

He was either 17 or 18 when they started dating in 1964 and were married 2 years later. I don't consider a 17 or 18 year old an adult.

We get it, you hate the guy because he doesn't believe exactly what you think he should believe.

I'm done arguing about it.

Nope. I love the man, hate the **** that spews from his mouth. In most states, that age difference would constitute a felony

So, what was the context of "marry em young, 15 to 16."?

I live close to the city of West Monroe. No, I do not know any of the Robertson Family personally - I have been at several baseball and football games when they were in attendance and all they seemed to want was to be regular fans rooting on their team. I do know several people who do know them through either work, school, or Church and they are very well liked, regarded, and respected both individually and as a family.

I have seen Willie's home (house and grounds cover a city block and were there before the show ever came along) and they were not hurting for money before the show.

Do any of the people who say they do not watch the show but the condemn The Robertson Family and Phil in particular know that one of the Robertson grandchildren is black?

My Father fought in World War II. He left my mother at home with two small children living in a very poor rural area. When I say poor I mean dirt poor. She lived in a tiny wood shack with two children who were two and one. Most of the people who lived around her were black. Many times I have heard stories of how she and my sister and brother would have starved to death had it not been for those neighbors who chopped wood and brought her a piece of deer meat or some fish or a rabbit to eat.

When my Daddy got home at the end of the war (I forgot who showed the Silver Star Award but my Daddy had one of those along with a Bronze Star, several Purple Hearts, a Battlefield Commission, newspaper write-ups about courage under fire and rescuing fellow soldiers, refusing medical attention until all of his men were tended to, etc) He and those same black men worked side by side trying to provide the basics for their families. There were no food stamps then but when someone got some Commodity cheese or lunch meat it was a big deal - everyone shared that too.

My sister still tells how much she loved playing with the kids around them (those kids happened to be black but that isn't part of the story when she tells it- she sees no reason to mention it because it didn't matter, they were just her friends) and how mad mama would get because she didn't want to come home and repeatedly told mama she couldn't cook as good as the neighbor lady could.

If somebody got hurt or sick then everyone there tried to help. I didn't come along until my sister and brother were teenagers but I can remember going with Daddy to take medicine or food because he had a truck and could go to the store. My only brother was killed in an accident at age 18. I was five but I remember those same neighbors coming to our house and holding my mama while she screamed and cleaning the house and cooking and washing the cars and standing guard around the house all that first long night, and being at the funeral, not because they were black and my family was white but because that was what you did for people you loved and they all loved each other and that boy who had died who they all had a hand in raising. And do you know what? I also remember going with my family to do those same things if one of our neighbors died.

Yes, there were separate schools. I had to ride the bus past the school where the black students went to get to my school until the seventh grade when we all started going to the same school. Honestly, the school where the black students went was a nicer building than the one where I went. There was no controversy when we all started going to the same school. After a couple of days of getting to know each other you would have thought it was always that way. Town kids went to school there too but since town was less than 500 people total that didn't mean a whole lot.

That was the South I was raised in. Listening to some of the posters and sensing some of the strong feelings that come across so clearly makes me realize how fortunate I was. Remember when I said I grew up near where Phil Robertson is from? My Daddy (and my mama) picked cotton side by side with their black neighbors and drank from the same dipper - that was their water fountain in the cotton field, a cooler of water with a tin dipper hanging on the side.

So before you doubt Luvsjack maybe you need to come from where we did.

Penny

Wow, so much anger...Why? Assaulting my reading comprehension and calling me a sheeple seems so unnecessary (and, frankly, so far off base it doesn't really warrant a response). Maybe I'll interpret that as my coming a little too close to how you perceive yourself? Or perhaps you are just a mean-spirited person who swings wildly when backed into a corner? Either way, I've said a number of time, I have feel no outrage for this dinosaur, I just won't let people engage in unchallenged hagiography of him, either.

No anger, I don't have a dog in this fight, I'm not a DD fan and I couldn't care less whether A&E ever shows another episode of it.
As for Robertson personally, no opinion of the man just that he has the right to have whatever opinion about whoever he wants. If people don't like his opinion then they are free to not listen to it. The standing up to intolerance fight seems a bit extreme IMO as he makes no claim of not tolerating those with a different sexual orientation or color of skin. In fact I believe he says he makes no judgment, God does, he just loves and spreads Jesus' word. (Don't quote me on that, not sure if those were his exact words).

The sheeple comment refers to all the people outraged over this because its the latest controversy du jour. They see the sensational headlines and that is it, outrage!
As for the reading comprehension, well its pretty clear what he says in the article, its right there in black and white. You can either understand what those words say, or you can read what you want them to mean into it. If you are going to argue that he compared homosexuality to bestiality in any way other than that the are both considered "sins", or that he is preaching that its okay to hate and racism, or whatever, then you fall into one of the two categories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter