• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dumbest things you believed as a child?

We spent a lot of time going to Phillies games at the old Veteran's Stadium. (700 level, here's looking at you!) When I was really, really little I thought each 'portico' (or entrance) into the different sections was a completely different baseball game. I remember thinking, "Wow, this has got to be the biggest stadium in the world!" My brother once famously asked if the Vet used to be a gas station, because of the Sunoco sign inside. And I thought the Army-Navy game was an astounding feat of logistics, with the entire Army coming from all over the world to play the entire Navy.

Oh one more. My brother made fun of me and told me he was once in the intro theme of the Bugs Bunny Show where all the characters walk along the stage.

Everytime I watched the show I was sad because it was again not the episode with my brother walking across the stage

I thought "microphone" was a swear word! I knew there were bad words, but I didn't know what they were so I made up my own. I had a few others, but I don't remember what they were now.

I also believed that you had to be a teenager before you could listen to music. I think that one came from a mix of my dad's hatred of all music and the teenage stereotypes that I saw on tv.

I used to believe that all TV programs were being broadcast live. My explanation for reruns was that they were being acted all over again. I certainly didn't make sense when there were outdoor shots and location shots, but that's kid logic for ya.

My Aunt was babysitting when I was around 8 and burned my toast to a crisp. I was confused and didn't want to eat it but she told me, "You need to eat 10 lbs of charcoal before die so you can get into heaven. Here is your head start." I believed her and choked it down. Thinking back it's really funny but also sort of mean.

Well...when I was really young I thought that babies were made by God sprinkling seeds down from heaven and they landed on ladies' heads to make them pregnant. And he had girl seeds in 1 jar and boy seeds in another jar. I proudly told that to my mom when I was like 5. I was kinda close.

Last edited:
I used to believe that all TV programs were being broadcast live. My explanation for reruns was that they were being acted all over again. I certainly didn't make sense when there were outdoor shots and location shots, but that's kid logic for ya.

Now that you mention it, I remember thinking that too.

On the sign "vehicles towed at owner's expense" I thought owner's expense meant they would tow you based on how much money you had on you. Like if you only had a dollar, they would only tow you one foot.

My parents told me if you went behind the counter at a store you would have to go to work there. I believed that one for awhile. It did keep me from going back there! I also thought that the "blind driveway" sign meant that someone blind lived in that house. Sadly, I can't blame my parents for that one.

I always wanted a light on overnight, but I believed my mom when she told me that would give me nightmares.

My daughter thought Jesus was hiding in her bedroom closet because her cousin told her "Jesus is everywhere".

When I turned 5 I got a birthday card that said something to the effect of "Mickey Mouse is coming to wish you a happy birthday". I really believed he was on his way for years after that.

Now that you mention it, I remember thinking that too.

I to come up with really oddball logic when I managed to see stuff like slow motion, special effects, or something I'd clearly seen before. That and the main intro that was the same all week.

I actually understood that there was videotape. I'd seen it before because my dad got access to U-Matic tapes for at a public access cable channel. I understood that news pieces were recorded and then played back. I understood that TV movies were transferred from film. But somehow I thought until I was 7 or 8 that TV shows had to be done live.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter