DVC and Free Dining Question?

Martinvols

Mouseketeer
I was wondering --- For those that are DVC members, how would free dining benefit us? After all, don't you have to pay full rack rate for a Disney hotel? With us being DVC members, how do we benefit from free dining? I know that I could avoid booking using points and pay cash instead. Maybe that's the answer --- sell my DVC points, pay full rack rate for a hotel room and have free dining. Please confirm if this is how DVC members could take advantage of this fringe benefit. Also, what is the period that free dining would be offered? Thanks and Go Vols!

As far as I'm aware you can't benefit from the free DDP using DVC points, only if you pay rack rate for the hotel and get tickets at the same time.

So yes your only way of doing it would be to rent your points and make a cash reservvation.

T
x

It doesn't benefit you unless you are going to rent a room and not use your points.

For Info on Free Dining read the Codes and Resorts board. They have all kinds of details.

(SEVEN!!!!)

Free dining is nothing more than a discount program to fill WDW resort rooms during the slowest periods. In the past, such rooms would sit empty or would only be booked if guests were offered severe price discounts. The guests who would only pay severely discounted WDW room rates were unlikely to spend big bucks for WDW dining, so the restaurants had empty tables.

Disney's free dining promotion is brilliant. Rooms and restaurants are filled during September -- when it's still hot, when schools are back in session almost everywhere, and when it's the height of hurricane season.

DVC members get the most value from DVC points during Value Season months such as September, so we're essentially getting a discount too. And we have the option of adding the Disney Dining Plan at a rate that can be a good value for people who like to eat big meals.

Of course, DVC members are free to book additional nights through CRO to take advantage of promotions such as Free Dining. In fact, for those DVC members who prefer not to use DVC points on weekends, that's a good option.

I wouldn't sell my DVC points to get "free" dining, because it really isn't free.

Now, I understand ---- it is really not a big benefit at all --- discounts offered during slow season, have to pay full rack rate and have to pay full price for tickets ---- On the other hand, those of us that purchase Annual Passes through DVC at a discount, plus utilize our points at the best time, avoiding weekends, if possible ----- Us, DVC'ers come out probably better than those w/free dining --- plus, we get to vacation when we want to!
Go Vols!

remember if you are a AP holder you can buy the Disney Dining card which gives you 20% off dining.

Isn't DVC great!

It could be worth it. Let's say you just wanted to get in an extra trip. You go in September with your wife and two teenage kids (who according to Disney are adults for the dining plan). So you book at the Pop Century for Sunday through Friday and the room runs you $100/night. Now you get the dining plan for 4 adults which is approximately $38/person per day. So roughly $760 for the week. Now take into consideration that you are getting 5 table service credits for each person and at each table service you get an appetizer, an entree and a dessert. Now I participated in the dining plan last May and I can tell you many of my sit down meals I order a filet mignon or similar and my bill just for dinner came out to much more than the $38/day. So yes if you just want to get one more trip in and have a little extra cash it could be well worth banking the points for next year.:banana:

I noticed a difference in the crowds last year during "free dining."
We usually go the last week in August every year, trading the "heat" for less people. Thinking about moving up our ressies one week to avoid the "free diners" this year.

I noticed a difference in the crowds last year during "free dining."
We usually go the last week in August every year, trading the "heat" for less people. Thinking about moving up our ressies one week to avoid the "free diners" this year.

That would be a good move, but remember guests can take advantage of the free dining period 10 days after it actually ends. If you book a 10 day package on the last day the free dining promotion is offered Disney will extend the package to you for the length of your trip up to 10 days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter