DVC AP Availability Speculation Thread

Yes!!!! I don't need an AP, we don't/can't go that often. But it would be great for there to be a discount on regular tickets. Or if you could buy a 10 day ticket but be able to spread those days out over the year instead of 2 weeks or whatever. I know it will never happen, but one can dream.

I never understood why they got rid of the 'no expire' option on MYW tickets. I suspect it was a pretty lightly used option and even when it was used, I bet a lot never came back to use their leftover days (Though granted, those tickets are still good even to this day.) We stopped doing a 14 day PH/NE MYW ticket when it finally got to almost the price of an AP. It just didn't make sense anymore, especially after DVC. It made more sense when we were coming 14 days over a couple of years, but with DVC now, we come way more often that that (Or at least we have historically. How that holds out with all the changes remains to be seen.) so APs just make sense for us now. If NE MYW tickets were still an option, we would drop our APs in a NY minute when they expire later this year, and buy MYW tickets. As it stands, we may very well not buy anything ticket-wise this year.

I never understood why they got rid of the 'no expire' option on MYW tickets. I suspect it was a pretty lightly used option and even when it was used, I bet a lot never came back to use their leftover days (Though granted, those tickets are still good even to this day.) We stopped doing a 14 day PH/NE MYW ticket when it finally got to almost the price of an AP. It just didn't make sense anymore, especially after DVC. It made more sense when we were coming 14 days over a couple of years, but with DVC now, we come way more often that that (Or at least we have historically. How that holds out with all the changes remains to be seen.) so APs just make sense for us now. If NE MYW tickets were still an option, we would drop our APs in a NY minute when they expire later this year, and buy MYW tickets. As it stands, we may very well not buy anything ticket-wise this year.

I agree! I have 3 trips booked this year but if there is no DVC AP or non-expire type ticket available I will likely cancel one or all the trips and probably bank or rent my points. My enjoyment of WDW is not such that I would choose to buy admission separately for each trip.

I agree! I have 3 trips booked this year but if there is no DVC AP or non-expire type ticket available I will likely cancel one or all the trips and probably bank or rent my points. My enjoyment of WDW is not such that I would choose to buy admission separately for each trip.

Agreed

I hope they will be resuming soon too! I want to buy a voucher to have in my account for the future in case I don't end up renewing at some point the following year!
I’ve got a gold AP (exp 2030) in my account right now for that exact same reason… but sadly, they seem to have closed that door (though there may be a tiny window cracked open).
If they become available again, I would like to buy the AP ASAP but the question is... how long do they give us to "activate" the pass? I want to buy early because I just know they are going to increase prices but is there usually a "start by" date attached to it?
It used to be literally a decade at minimum, and is now just 1 year.
Typically the AP voucher say good until 2030 (at least what I've seen). Pretty sure once the AP voucher is on your account you can activate it whenever.
Not anymore.
I could be wrong but I thought with the most recent AP sales, they had to be activated within 12 months of purchase. I also have a trip planned in December 2022 and had planned to purchase an AP in December 2021 before they stopped selling them.
You are right! & this is where it is going to get super hard to plan ahead to buy AP’s. I purchased AP’s the day they went back on sale last year (9/8/21) for the 4 kids in my fam who didn’t have one. The passes all stated:

Pass certificates expire one year from purchase. After one year, the amount paid for an unused, expired pass certificate may be applied towards the purchase of a new pass at current prices so long as the new pass purchase price is equal to or greater than the amount paid for the original pass certificate.”​

So, the biggest Q left unanswered from Disney is- what happens to that pass & those funds if no pass is currently for sale? Would they allow a person to “repurchase” that same pass at the last published rate??? They certainly should!! & I kinda feel like they would make exceptions for people in that scenario, but who knows?!?

I’ve got a gold AP (exp 2030) in my account right now for that exact same reason… but sadly, they seem to have closed that door (though there may be a tiny window cracked open).

Not anymore.

You are right! & this is where it is going to get super hard to plan ahead to buy AP’s. I purchased AP’s the day they went back on sale last year (9/8/21) for the 4 kids in my fam who didn’t have one. The passes all stated:

Pass certificates expire one year from purchase. After one year, the amount paid for an unused, expired pass certificate may be applied towards the purchase of a new pass at current prices so long as the new pass purchase price is equal to or greater than the amount paid for the original pass certificate.”​

So, the biggest Q left unanswered from Disney is- what happens to that pass & those funds if no pass is currently for sale? Would they allow a person to “repurchase” that same pass at the last published rate??? They certainly should!! & I kinda feel like they would make exceptions for people in that scenario, but who knows?!?

If the pass is not for sale, you’d be able to use the value toward any other ticket.

Once the pass certificate expires, it’s like any other expired ticket.. you simply have a credit. This is why they changed it to a one year expiration so people couldn’t hold them for years.

Given that things can come and go, I think I’ll be renewing every year and not worrying.

Last edited:

Waiting for the DVC APS, too. We have our DVCAPS purchased, but we need two more for our kids for a trip in May & July 2022. 🤞

Florida resident here. Received a flyer from WDW yesterday, with a QR thingy to scan. It supposedly told us to pick the best AP that fits our needs.

Needless to say…. BIG FAIL.

Maybe it’s a sign they will be on sale again and the post office was just too fast. Lol

Not anymore.

Does your pass on MDE show an expiration date a year from purchase?

I was able to get my cancelled AP back during the “recovery” phase last summer, and this is the expiration date shown on MDE:

Attachments

• 475C286A-B426-4570-BFDE-2B6177FD3CC0.jpeg
    475C286A-B426-4570-BFDE-2B6177FD3CC0.jpeg
    21.4 KB · Views: 35
Given that things can come and go, I think I’ll be renewing every year and not worrying.
Same. Which is likely part of their current strategy to keep those of us with current APs renewing them, no matter what is going on in the real world

I was able to get my cancelled AP back during the “recovery” phase last summer, and this is the expiration date shown on MDE:

Reocvery APs we’re given the normal timeframe. Once they went back on sale in August, all new certificates get a one year expiration to activate.

My DD renewed hers before then and it has the same.

I have three DVC trips planned in the next year. I let my AP expire in September. If APs dont go back on sale I will be doing resort only trips and may even venture out to Universal a few times. Not sure I understand Disneys logic in this one.

I was under the impression that the some of the special DVC discounted APes had an expiration date similar to what Happy Disney Wife stated above.

I seemed to remember wanting to lock in the price before the inevitable price increase, but then activate before the grace period.
This is from an email from the past:
"It's your last chance to take advantage of two incredible Theme Park ticket Offers!
Purchase yours by January 3, 2018, and enjoy more of what you love –
with no block-out dates. It's the perfect holiday gift!
Save 25% on Disney Platinum Plus Annual Passes
Includes admission to all 4 Walt Disney World® Resort Theme Parks, 2 Disney Water Parks, and more!
From $559 per person, plus tax
Don't wait! Purchase tickets by January 3, 2018, and begin using by December 31, 2018."

I did get one of those recovery Gold APes (purchased Nov 2020) and it had an expiration date of 2030. The Castmember who sold the pass to me said not to worry about the 2030 date as there was no expiration date. (I activated it, so I don't have to worry about it at this point.)

I still have a couple of annual pass vouchers that were purchased before there was any mention of expiration dates. One of the reasons I didn't use them up was because the special DVC annual passes seemed like a better deal at the time (IIRC). I'm not sure if I will be able to scan them in to MDE account as I have had them for a little bit. Before park reservations were required it didn't seem like a big deal. :confused3

AFAIK, that lawsuit is specific to Disneyland Passes.

I understand it's specifically targeting CA but I would imagine that it would affect Disney Parks as a whole once a judgement or settlement gets made. By pausing AP, they are mitigating the damage they'll have to pay out if the plaintiff ends up winning.

I'm probably wrong but I'm just speculating.

Woah!! That’s crazy!

In MDE, all 4 of my girls’ passes show an expiration date of 9.7.22 (exactly one year after I purchased them). You can tell they haven’t been activated yet bc I can still “reassign” them… but the clock is counting down!! & my sister’s shows the exact same way in her MDE as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter