DVC AP Discount, Exchange Certificate, DDE question.

DisneyBill

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
DVC Silver
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
I've never bought an AP or DDE card before. Do I have this correct?...I can buy the AP thru DVC for $100 off today, and receive an "exchange certificate" as referenced on dvcmember.com. Is this the same as an "annual pass voucher" as referenced say on mousesavers? If I have this "exchange certificate/annual pass voucher" can I then book other resort rooms at the current promotion (pending any BRP that may occur), and also purchase the DDE card? Both without activating the AP?

I hope that is clear enough, and that I've posted it on the proper board. Thanks for any comments or advice.

Yes! You will get an AP voucher and then you can use it to purchase DDE and a room. I've heard some say that after they activated their AP they had to show it at the desk of the hotel that they got their discount at, but they were allowed to check in with just a voucher.

I just orderd my DDE card with the DVC annual pass voucher. When I called to order I was asked to give some of the numbers/information on the voucher. It was no problem at all to order. I also could have made a room reservation with the AP voucher. I had to reserve one night at POP in case my waitlist doesn't come through. I ended up with a full price room though because it has a better cancellation policy.

Keep in mind that your AP will be good from when you activate it. The DDE card is good from when you purchase. You may want to wait until close to when you are ready to go. If there is not enough time to get the card in the mail you can pick up a temporary one at the EPCOT guest relations window when you get there. Just tell them you would like to do this. I ordered mine from DTD in the morning after activating my AP and they had the card at the window at 5:15 that evening. You do have to order by phone as they do not sell them at ticket windows etc. and are not open weekends for orders.

Thanks for all the replies and good advice!

A quick point of follow-up. Today I called CRO to get rates for 2 nights at a non-DVC resort. I was really fishing for some sort of PIN/promo that may be available. I asked the CM about booking AP rates if I bought an AP now through MS and received an Exchange Voucher. The CM explained in great detail that I COULD NOT book any discounted rooms until the AP was activated at WDW. Had to have the numbers off the card to book AP rates.

Was she inaccurate?

DisneyBill said:
A quick point of follow-up. Today I called CRO to get rates for 2 nights at a non-DVC resort. I was really fishing for some sort of PIN/promo that may be available. I asked the CM about booking AP rates if I bought an AP now through MS and received an Exchange Voucher. The CM explained in great detail that I COULD NOT book any discounted rooms until the AP was activated at WDW. Had to have the numbers off the card to book AP rates.

Was she inaccurate?
Yes - you can book with just the voucher. I used my DVC exchange certificate (aka voucher) to book an AP-discounted room at the CSR using the BRP. You just use the numbers off the voucher. I just used those numbers this morning to purchase the DDE card. I think the CM you talked to has just not been thoroughly trained, LOL - i.e., doesn't know how to enter the voucher numbers. They are a bit different from the numbers on the back of an actual pass.

Go over to the Codes and Rates Board and read a few of the more recent threads. Apparently, if you call between 2 and 5 pm, you can even book AP rates over the phone. Of course there have to be AP disoounted rooms available for the time you want to go. Several posters have reported that they have done this with just a voucher and a few without either a voucher or an AP. Looks like the way we get AP rates is changing again.

Bottom Line: The CM you talked to gave you incorrect info!

Best wishes -

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter