• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC Dining discount have black-out dates?

gzmtlock

DIS Veteran
We're spending Dec 24 at Kidani, eating at Citricos that night and Boma's for Christmas Breakfast. Is the DVC dining discount valid then, or (like TiW) are those blackout dates?

TIA!

I wouldn't be surprised if the discount will be refused. This line is part of the fine print below the Member Benefits & More for Disney Resorts.

Membership Extras are also subject to availability and block–out dates may apply, including high periods of demand such as Christmas and New Year’s Day.

You never know. Last NYE the TIW was blacked out. We ate at Artist Point & we were given the DVC discount.

That's my conflict exactly - not knowing ahead of time! If we don't get the discount, the deluxe dining plan is a competitive cost option that I would probably go ahead and do, and pre-pay with Disney bucks. But if we do get it, the DxDP might not save much if any money, and I'd use the Disney bucks to pay on site. Not knowing is a bit of a pain. >:(

I emailed MS earlier today to ask. I'll come back and post when I get a response.

They refused DVC discount Easter Sunday which kinda annoyed me as they did not publish black out dates

That's my conflict exactly - not knowing ahead of time! If we don't get the discount, the deluxe dining plan is a competitive cost option that I would probably go ahead and do, and pre-pay with Disney bucks. But if we do get it, the DxDP might not save much if any money, and I'd use the Disney bucks to pay on site. Not knowing is a bit of a pain. >:(

I emailed MS earlier today to ask. I'll come back and post when I get a response.
If the deluxe plan cuts it that close even when considering the snacks, appy and mugs, I'd just take my chances on the discount as you won't be losing much worst case scenario if your only benefit is the discount.

If they refuse you a discount. Smile and say, "You didn't need a tip anyway." Watch how fast that discount shows up. :rolleyes1

If they refuse you a discount. Smile and say, "You didn't need a tip anyway." Watch how fast that discount shows up. :rolleyes1

Seems fairly harsh. I doubt the server decides whether or not the discount is blacked out. And it's not my style to threaten anyone. While I would really appreciate better information from DVC, punishing a server who is working on my family's behalf on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day is certainly not the solution for us.

I agree - the servers do not set the discount policies - why would you stiff them for something they have no control over?

Thanks, Michael. That's very helpful! Seems fairly certain that Christmas will be blacked out, and probable for Christmas Eve.

DVC did respond to my email. With a totally useless form response that did not answer my question; it didn't even contain the word "Christmas." I'm disappointed, but not surprised.

If the deluxe plan cuts it that close even when considering the snacks, appy and mugs, I'd just take my chances on the discount as you won't be losing much worst case scenario if your only benefit is the discount.

I didn't include the snacks or mug in my comparison, as we wouldn't be getting those apart from the DxDP. So I think we'll go ahead and do the dining plan. Use the snack credits to get muffins to have for a "walking breakfast" when we move to Universal and will have 7 am early entrances the following week. I don't believe we'll "lose" money, and it may move us a bit ahead.

Can hardly wait for this vacation to arrive!

Got a second email from MS. Christmas is definitely blacked out, as is New Year's - so confirms the info on the flyer that Michael shared. Still wouldn't make a commitment on Dec 24, citing the ubiquitous "subject to change without notice." Even though my decision was made, I wanted to share the info from MS in case anyone wants to know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter