• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC Direct points with bonus points?

AKNOTTS66

Mouseketeer
So I know when you buy DVC they give you the previous years worth of points for free like 2019 points if you buy now but when does it change over to getting 2020 points for free? Does that not happen till 2021 or when your use year in 2020 comes and passes that you are buying? I'm just wondering if we buy points in July direct and have a june use year will we get 2019 points for free or 2020 points for free?

I suppose January 2021!

If you buy in June 2020 you would get points for June 2019 and June 2020 assuming its RVA. You wouldn't pay any dues on those 2019 points but pro rata for 2020 points.

If you want to buy other resorts it really depends on the availability and whether they have any 2019 points.

How do I know? I asked my guide the exact same question.

They always just give current UY points, not previous year points. If you buy a June UY in July you will get 2020 points and forward. You will pay the prorated dues on the 2020 points.

I suppose January 2021!

If you buy in June 2020 you would get points for June 2019 and June 2020 assuming its RVA. You wouldn't pay any dues on those 2019 points but pro rata for 2020 points.

If you want to buy other resorts it really depends on the availability and whether they have any 2019 points.

How do I know? I asked my guide the exact same question.
Any resort you buy direct they throw in the previous years points for free not just Riviera. We bought Copper Creek direct and got 2019 for free in March with a June use year. Good to know it wouldn't be until 2021 to get 2020 points! We bought Copper Creek direct and got 2019 for free in March with a June use year.

Any resort you buy direct they throw in the previous years points for free not just Riviera. We bought Copper Creek direct and got 2019 for free in March with a June use year. Good to know it wouldn't be until 2021 to get 2020 points! We bought Copper Creek direct and got 2019 for free in March with a June use year.
They don’t throw in the previous years points. They only give you current points. You bought in March for a June UY, so you actually got the current year points as a June UY contract would still be in its 2019 UY in March.

They don’t throw in the previous years points. They only give you current points. You bought in March for a June UY, so you actually got the current year points as a June UY contract would still be in its 2019 UY in March.
They make a big deal that they’re throwing in these points for free, but that’s a sales gimmick.

If you buy in any given year with a UY month further in the future than the current month, you are still in the previous UY for that contract and those points would be part of the contract that you are purchasing.

The only thing they’re giving away for free is a sales pitch.

If you buy in any given year with a UY month further in the future than the current month, you are still in the previous UY for that contract and those points would be part of the contract that you are purchasing.

Oh I see, so always buy a UY a few months into the future?

Oh I see, so always buy a UY a few months into the future?
If that UY works with your booking patterns, it's definitely an advantage when buying direct to buy before the UY begins, so that you get those "double" points.

Always buy a UY that’s fits your travel habits. If you can time it so you buy just before a new UY then you get the previous points too.

Im from the UK so UY makes no difference as once flights are booked you are committed!

Im from the UK so UY makes no difference as once flights are booked you are committed!
Does not matter where you are from.

if you get sick and can’t fly you need to cancel and if you have a trip booked within the last 4 months of your UY you can’t bank and have very little time to reschedule.

As mentioned, buying direct gives you current UY points with the sale.

If the UY you want is toward the end, then it seems like it is double points for free, because Disney will allow new owners to bank late when they purchase,

But, you want a UY that falls before you typically travel to give you extra insurance,,,,so to speak...if you have to change or cancel a trip 31 days or more before it,

Why? Because you end up with more time to use up the points or bank them, When you travel at the end of your UY, points are at a greater risk of being lost.

So, if your plan is to buy in July with a June UY, you’d get 2020 and beyond because you would be buying during June 2020 UY. if you decided an Aug, Sept, Oct or Dec UY is better for you and you buy in July, you would get 2019 UY points as well as 2020 UY and beyond, because July is still part of the 2019 UY for those ones.

As has been mentioned several times they don't throw in previous years points - they sell contracts starting with current points. Guides will word things a certain way to make it sound the best it can of course.

Sometimes you have to wait for the points to be available if it's an older resort. For example someone might want BWV August UY and end up on a waitlist until the 1st of August because they don't have the current 2019 points for an Aug UY but they have 2020 points. Once it becomes Aug 1st the 2020 points are current and they'll sell the contract. DVC did start giving itself the right to change UY's on contracts they ROFR but they don't seem to necessarily do that all the time and so make a buyer wait until they have a contract with current points to sell.

There was a very brief time they started selling some older resorts without current points when they didn't have them but then seemed to switch to just making the buyer wait.

I was one of lucky ones to buy right before the UY reset. I bought late Feb for Mar UY. So I got 2019 points banked and 2 days later my 2020 points came in. I was waitlisted (only 2 weeks) for my sold out resort, so I could have easily not have have 2019 points if the points were available to purchase in March. My sales guide was really good to make it work for me to get 2019 points.

So my advise is not do what I did. If you buying current resorts for sale (AUL, RIV, CCV), you can buy anytime before your UY resets. If you want to buy sold out resort, check out the other threads to see how long people were waitlisted and determine when you want to be put on the waitlist.

So I know when you buy DVC they give you the previous years worth of points for free like 2019 points if you buy now but when does it change over to getting 2020 points for free? Does that not happen till 2021 or when your use year in 2020 comes and passes that you are buying? I'm just wondering if we buy points in July direct and have a june use year will we get 2019 points for free or 2020 points for free?
DVC doesn't give away stuff for free very often. If you are in the 2019 UY when you buy in 2020, you are just getting the points you paid for. You aren't getting any freebies. You pay annual fees on a calendar year, but your points are based on Use Year which is totally different from calendar year. Think of UY like Fiscal year. That's the year you get to use those points unless you borrow them into the previous year or bank them into the next UY.

Buying direct from Disney, if you buy in July 2020 and get a June UY, your first points will be your 2020 UY. If you buy in July 2020 and purchase a Sept UY, your first points will be your Sept 2019 UY. So any UY after July 2020 will get you 2019 points (as long as the resort was open in 2019).

DVC doesn't give away stuff for free very often. If you are in the 2019 UY when you buy in 2020, you are just getting the points you paid for. You aren't getting any freebies. You pay annual fees on a calendar year, but your points are based on Use Year which is totally different from calendar year. Think of UY like Fiscal year. That's the year you get to use those points unless you borrow them into the previous year or bank them into the next UY.

Buying direct from Disney, if you buy in July 2020 and get a June UY, your first points will be your 2020 UY. If you buy in July 2020 and purchase a Sept UY, your first points will be your Sept 2019 UY. So any UY after July 2020 will get you 2019 points (as long as the resort was open in 2019).
In your scenario of buying a September UY in July, does the buyer pay MF on the 2019 September points?

In your scenario of buying a September UY in July, does the buyer pay MF on the 2019 September points?
Yes... but MF are based on calendar year. If you purchase in July, you pay MF for July through December, regardless of what your UY is. In both scenarios above, you pay the same MF. In the June UY scenario, it’s all 2020 MF. In the Sep UY, scenario, your July & August MF are against 2019 points, Sep-Dec on 2020.

Since MFs are based on calendar year, Disney charges from date of ownership, so don’t think about points, but that,

So, if you buy in July, regardless of UY, you pay 6 months of the 2020 dues,

You will then be billed every January. When you buy, if you choose a UY that is still in its 2019 UY for points, you get those as The first set. If you choose a UY that is in its 2020 UY, then you get those as the first set.

The benefit of buying later in the UY it is like you are getting two years worth of point, but really nothing more than a strategic decision of when to buy.

Now, if you are buying a sold out resort, they may not sell you a resort at the end of the UY because they may not have those points to give. But, if you are buying RiV or AUL right now..current resorts in active sales...you won’t have a problem.

Once sales open back up, we will still be in 2019 Aug, Sept, Oct, and Dec UYs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter