• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC exchange in the UK

dcbrown

DIS Veteran
I am looking for some feedback from some of our DVC friends across the pond....I have made an exchange for the week of Aug 7 at the Barnsdale Country Club in Leicestershire. A few questions, if you may:

* Have you ever heard of this resort and what is it like?
* I would like to also visit London for a few days as well as the south (Sussex and possibly Brighton) I kind of need a game plan to do so......what are your suggestions?
* Not too thrilled about driving myself ....won't mind the trains or tube.

I am so looking forward to this trip. I was there twice weekly as a CSM for People Express AL back in the 80's and could not wait for the day when I could return w/my children and share this wonderful country w/them....so I want it to be just perfect!

Thanks to all who can help out...and anytime you need info on the NJ/NY metropolitan area ...I'd be more than willing to help out.

DCBrown :Pinkbounc :smooth: :Pinkbounc :smooth: :Pinkbounc

Hi DC :wave:

I'm not going to be much use to your planning, I'm afraid - I don't know Leicestershire at all and haven't lived in London or the South for over 25 years now. I just wanted to say hello!

But......... I do want to wish you a wonderful trip and hope you get all the answers you're hoping for. If you don't get much response from the DVC board (there aren't too many of us here), perhaps you could post a similar thread over on the UK TP board where you might get more advice on the areas you hope to visit. :)

I have had a quick look on the map and Barnsdale Country club is mid way between Leicester and Peterborough, near Oakham. This is a nice area, very close to Rutland water, a large reservoir with nice walks. Uppingham and Stamford are both pretty towns within easy reach. Peterborough has a nice cathedral and good shopping. Both Leicester and Peterborough have good, quick train services to London - I wouldn't contemplate driving to London. It might be worth thinking about driving to the south coast. You could go via Cambridge which is lovely. You might be interested to know that, until 1974, Oakham was the main town of England's smallest county, Rutland. Many of the locals still think of their county as Rutland not Leicestershire and you may see signs saying 'Welcome to Rutland'.
I hope you have a great trip.

I can recommend Barnsdale country club, Me and family booked week there a couple years ago.( the lodges are great, and fantastic veiw across rutland water, recommend hiring a bike to ride around the lake, this may take a copule of hours and may bit a bit saddlesore, but is worth it.
Rutland and the area's around are very historic and pretty.
Trains from peterbourgh take about an hour to get into central london, and about a hour to get to brighton, ( but a word of warning the trains do have a habit of being cancelled or changed)

Hope you have a great trip

Rob

Thanks to all who have replied. I know it is a bit of a ways off, but just the planning makes me feel like I am starting my trip a little earlier.

In my younger days I was very brazen and would galavant all over the city and country alone...but for some reason, now that I will be w/my children I don't feel as confident. I just don't want to miss a thing and who knows how long it will be till I get a chance to come back.

I remember being in central London for a HUGE HOLIDAY at the end of August. Can you remind me what that Holiday is and when it is celebrated? Could it have been a sort of Labor Day?

I really apreciate your feedback and anything I can do to help you out stateside...just let me know.

DCBrown

:Pinkbounc :smooth: :Pinkbounc :smooth: :Pinkbounc pirate:

I remember being in central London for a HUGE HOLIDAY at the end of August. Can you remind me what that Holiday is and when it is celebrated? Could it have been a sort of Labor Day?
That would be our 'Late Summer Bank Holiday'! I've no idea what excuse we have to celebrate this - I suspect it may have been something to do with the end of the summer farm work, before the hard work for harvest. Maybe the fruit and hops were picked during August and it was a way for the pickers to mark the end of their season - I'm not as well informed as I should be! :rolleyes:

It is held on the last Monday in August, and the whole weekend will usually see crowds heading off in all directions, but a lot depends on the weather of course! ;)

That must have been it. I remember being somewhere down one end of the Hyde Park area and being in a crowd that was so huge I couldn't even move. It was a bit scary...will try to avoid that situation again......Thanks Hilary.

DCBrown :Pinkbounc :smooth: :Pinkbounc :smooth: :Pinkbounc pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter