DVC expiring points pool

mittelst

Mouseketeer
I was just seeing if I could squeeze a WDW trip for 2008 out of my tiny 50 point contract (which is at 0, borrowed from for this year's HHI trip), and a thought occurred to me. There have got to be DVC owners that, either through ignorance or happenstance, have points that will expire at the end of their use year. Wouldn't it be great these points could be put in a pool that other DVC owners could buy from? I know, I know, the technicalities make this an unreasonable business proposition. But since there are such tight restrictions on transfers, it's tough when you're, say, 5 points short for your trip (which I am for 2008).

Just venting... comment if you wish!

yep.. that would be cool :cool1: I have 6 unused points..bummer:sad2:

I'm new to DVC...so bear with me if this is a silly question.

HOW does someone have unused points?:confused3 I understand if you cancel an existing ressie and they go into holding or something. BUT - I just banked all my current year points into next year, and I figure I'll borrow from next years if I need to plan an existing UY vaca (and then I'll only borrow exactly what's needed). So if I keep doing it this way... I'll never have unused points that will expire. UNLESS I either forget to bank OR bank and then don't use the banked points the following year...right?

I know unused points CAN happen...but I would think if you bank ALLthen borrow what's needed...then unused points wouldn't be the norm right? Shouldn't that scenario (unused points) be few and far between? Or am I missing something?:confused3

I'm new to DVC...so bear with me if this is a silly question.

HOW does someone have unused points?:confused3 I understand if you cancel an existing ressie and they go into holding or something. BUT - I just banked all my current year points into next year, and I figure I'll borrow from next years if I need to plan an existing UY vaca (and then I'll only borrow exactly what's needed). So if I keep doing it this way... I'll never have unused points that will expire. UNLESS I either forget to bank OR bank and then don't use the banked points the following year...right?

I know unused points CAN happen...but I would think if you bank ALLthen borrow what's needed...then unused points wouldn't be the norm right? Shouldn't that scenario (unused points) be few and far between? Or am I missing something?:confused3
I think you hit all the highlights.

-- It doesn't happen often.
-- Cancelling ressies.
-- Forgetting to bank.

As they say... stuff happens! :teeth:

MG

The only reason I have un-used points is because I purchase a resale contract that had banked points that had to be used by a certain date. I was able to book a ressie for a friend using most but not the last 6..:sad2: It just feels like such a waste when I would gladly give them away .. I don't want to use my one and only transfer

I have an interesting thought....maybe start a continuing thread for those who do have a few points to spare that are about to expire. Kind of a quick exchange program.

Somebody on another thread had a great idea about Disney starting a points pool for the Make a Wish Foundation (or similar). I think that would be fantastic.

The only reason I have un-used points is because I purchase a resale contract that had banked points that had to be used by a certain date. I was able to book a ressie for a friend using most but not the last 6..:sad2: It just feels like such a waste when I would gladly give them away .. I don't want to use my one and only transfer

And, if you tried (as I had when I was in the same circumstance -- some banked points on a newly purchased resale contract) you would quickly find out another of the transfer rules: banked points cannot be transferred. They can either be used or left to expire. <sigh>

This was much more feasible for the 3.5 years when multiple transfers were the rule. Most people don't want to fool with a few points here and there. Other than possibly trying to piece together a a string of single night reservations to make a single one, likely at a studio, I don't see it as being especially workable.

This was much more feasible for the 3.5 years when multiple transfers were the rule. Most people don't want to fool with a few points here and there. Other than possibly trying to piece together a a string of single night reservations to make a single one, likely at a studio, I don't see it as being especially workable.

Good point!

On another thought...I sat through a timeshare presentation here in Colorado so that I could have $200 donated to my son's football team. Anyway, they had an interesting benefit that I thought would be great for DVC. If a room was still not booked 2 days prior, they made it available for members to rent at cost. In their case, it was $30/night. Each member was allowed to do this up to 3 times per year. This is a good way to fill up resorts during off season and help recover costs.

Good point!

On another thought...I sat through a timeshare presentation here in Colorado so that I could have $200 donated to my son's football team. Anyway, they had an interesting benefit that I thought would be great for DVC. If a room was still not booked 2 days prior, they made it available for members to rent at cost. In their case, it was $30/night. Each member was allowed to do this up to 3 times per year. This is a good way to fill up resorts during off season and help recover costs.

but DVC doesn't need to do this. they stay at between 95% and 99% capcaity. lots of night they filled completely.

they use CRO at the 60 day for any unused villa. that generally takes care of what members don't use. if the villa that was rented to the public was a DVC units that was unused (not exchanged) then the money goes to the general fund. I think CRO gets 50% for renting the villa.

your contract says that Disney can do this.

And, if you tried (as I had when I was in the same circumstance -- some banked points on a newly purchased resale contract) you would quickly find out another of the transfer rules: banked points cannot be transferred. They can either be used or left to expire. <sigh>

True.. but someone could have transfered points into my account and I could have booked for them using their pts. and my 6 to complete a ressie.. again that would have taken both or our tranfer options (one in or one out) for a year.. no thank you;)

Good point!

A lot of timeshare systems do things similar. I know bluegreen does and also I think Fairfield and Worldmark do also from what I've heard. The two big exchange companies (II & RCI) do the same thing in weekly blocks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter