DVC interest...a bargain or a waste?

What you need is a time machine, go back to 2007 and buy AK direct at $104 :). Planning the trips when you are in control of your kids lives is much easier than it will be with two of them out of high school. Are you well off enough that you plan on paying for them and their dates / future families? I'm a big fan of DVC but it may not be for you. You would likely find that eating 1 meal each day in your room and having TiW would be close enough in cost to the DDP cost.

Something else to consider is that you are prepaying for future vacations. Run the numbers for the long term. It takes a few trips to break even. What sold me was thinking about inflation on the room prices and having that locked in and paid for to enjoy over the next 40 years.

First: Buy where you want to stay.

AKL is our favorite resort (well, it was when we bought) We knew that we would vacation in WDW at least once most often twice each year. We were already AP holders and we 95% of the time stayed at AKL.

So, we bought in direct AKV 100 pts. Not enough by any means and so we added 25 more for a recent trip-which was canceled.

Regrets: Why didn't we do this sooner?

You may want to look at buying the minimum direct and then add on (trying to keep the same use year) . You can get the Gold AP for less than you are paying for PH tix for nine days. There are a few weeks of blockout dates. You can also get the TIW card that saves 20% on most table service restaurants. You also have the option to add the dining plan to your DVC stay (It is never free though). Also, your family of five obviously need two studios or a 2 bedroom. The 2 bedrooms at Kidani have THREE bathrooms.

The selling point for us was that DVC is like "pre paying" for accommodations. Yes, you have yearly dues. For us, we feel like we made a great decision. Our welcome home booking was at Beach Club villas (TWO studios) for five nights. We bought in May and we got 2018 and 2019 pts (August UY) We got the TIW card and we even went to a Moonlight DVC event at Typhoon Lagoon (never again though). We visited Top of the World Lounge for firework viewing (amazing) and we even stopped by the DVC lounge in Epcot.

Member perks are not guaranteed but then again they could always add more perks :)

Check the point charts to see how many you need for your vacation stays. That will give you an idea for the amount of points you need.

I think it's wrong to go into purchasing a DVC contract as a sound, money saving investment. I know I'll get a lot of flack for this, but I own two DVC contracts because I wanted to be a DVC member and I can afford it. I like the idea of having our vacations (think, "hotels") paid for many years to come as I know we will still be going to WDW for many years. We typically purchase APs and haven't done the DP for years…and we don't miss it at all. We like eating what we want, where and when we want without the stress of trying to maximize the DP.

I think you can crunch numbers and try to figure out which is the better deal down to the nickel and dime, but then I think you're missing the whole point of being a DVC member.

We find DVC saves us $, but only because we usually stay in a 1BR and eat breakfast and 1 other meal in our unit. sometimes lunch, if we've been at the pool, or sometimes dinner for a break from parks before going back in for a late night. We eat 2-3 dinners out at nice WDW restaurants in a week. The full kitchen is one reason we justify DVC financially. We have also stayed on free dining in a room that sleeps 5. If you like free dining, then I'd stay with that. I doubt DVC and paying for deluxe dining would "save" you much $. Plus, as another mentioned, planning trips with young adults will likely get harder.

I think it's wrong to go into purchasing a DVC contract as a sound, money saving investment. I know I'll get a lot of flack for this, but I own two DVC contracts because I wanted to be a DVC member and I can afford it. I like the idea of having our vacations (think, "hotels") paid for many years to come as I know we will still be going to WDW for many years. We typically purchase APs and haven't done the DP for years…and we don't miss it at all. We like eating what we want, where and when we want without the stress of trying to maximize the DP.

I think you can crunch numbers and try to figure out which is the better deal down to the nickel and dime, but then I think you're missing the whole point of being a DVC member.
You won’t get flack from me. DVC is a luxury purchase. I bought it because I wanted it. It appeals to me to have years of Disney vacations in my future. The money that I spent on DVC (way more than I want to admit to) could have bought quite a few luxury vacations to some very amazing places. I chose Disney instead. No regrets. Disney is my happy place. So unlike some here, and probably more like the typical owners, I don’t calculate the cost of trips based on what the contract cost and what I pay in dues. Buying in was more about the joy of always having another Disney trip planned.

Since you're running the numbers anyway, have you ever actually ran the numbers to see if the deluxe dining plan is really saving you money? You have to pay the full room rate with no other discounts to get it. Most travel agents say that it's cheaper to pay for your own food and get a discounted room rate. The rooms you get are often 30% off if you're getting a room only discount.

Not to mention that the deluxe dining plan is only cheaper than buying the food yourself if you all order the most expensive items on the menu every time.

Just thought that might be good info for you to go over since you are concerned with cost.

And I agree with others - you need to compare the cost of paying for a multi-bedroom suite in cash to a large DVC contract (not comparing the cost of the studio you currently book.) Otherwise it's not a truly accurate comparison. ie: even with discounts, a multi-bedroom suite at a deluxe will cost you $1200 + a night in cash, not $600 like a studio. In that case a DVC ownership that gets you a 2 bedroom will be MILES cheaper.

One option for you would be to buy 100-125 points and then use banking and borrowing to stay at DVC every other year or so. Your outlay would be way less and would give you a feel for if it fits your family. The annual dues would also be much less. If you like it, add on more points, maybe strategically at a different resort you like. Then rotate between years and stay in normal cash rooms when you aren’t using your DVC. And if you don’t like it, sell it. Smaller contracts generally are easier to sell.
this is advice I give to people who still want flex and might want to do free dining. You then have enough points to use EOY or 3rd year, while still enjoying free dining, etc. It's much less outlay of $. And if after a couple years, you can add more points if DVC is turly right for you. Plus, a smaller contract is much easier to sell if you decide it's not working for you.

If lots of Disney dining is a must part of you visits then you may get the best value as you are.

A DVC villa is a very different experience than hotels rooms and allows for much more enjoyable rest/down times, ability to do quick meals and have a full fridge as well as being able to pack much lighter with the W/D in room.

You might want to consider a mixed purchase if you can slightly stagger your annual visits so the you can use the DVC discounted annual pass to cover 2 years of vacations. This would look like 100 OKW direct and say 200+ resale points. If you travel at high demand time and have to stay at a particular resort then you need to buy where you want to stay, if not with some flexibility, you should be able to get a reservation that will work, With being able to pack lighter we ended up enjoying split stays. also make sure you understand UY before purchasing

Can you save some $ in some situations, yes, but the real value for us was the quality of the vacation, from being able to stay in an onsite villa

I agree with you. DVC could save you money if you had normally stayed at Deluxe resorts and you didn't change how often you vacationed to Disney. However, in our experience it has just allowed us to raise the level of our accommodations (we used to stay at the Swan/Dolphin) and go more often. Addonitis is also going to cause us to spend more money with Disney as we really want to buy in to the new Disneyland Hotel Tower if it gets built so that we can stay with DVC at Disneyland.

Having read all these great, informative comments it appears 300 - 325 points may be too much for our current needs. I'll need to revisit the chart that shows point usage to make a fair comparison. We are definitely visiting for a lengthy stay in 2021 for the 50th anniversary and I'm just trying to determine if buying into DVC makes sense for the next trip. Thanks for all the informative posts.

For those who mentioned the Tables in Wonderland discounts, could you elaborate a bit? I'd like to understand annual costs and real discount benefits. It appears you mostly prefer this program to purchasing the dining plans.

Also, it appears many of you have multiple DVC accounts. Is there a benefit to this?
I assume you're talking about multiple contracts. The benefit to having multiple contracts is that it will allow you access to the 11 month booking window at multiple resorts. Although, you can only use points from the contract at a resort at 11 months. We bought in with 272 points at AKL and I kind of wish we had split that total between two resorts to give us some flexibility.

Having read all these great, informative comments it appears 300 - 325 points may be too much for our current needs. I'll need to revisit the chart that shows point usage to make a fair comparison. We are definitely visiting for a lengthy stay in 2021 for the 50th anniversary and I'm just trying to determine if buying into DVC makes sense for the next trip. Thanks for all the informative posts.

For those who mentioned the Tables in Wonderland discounts, could you elaborate a bit? I'd like to understand annual costs and real discount benefits. It appears you mostly prefer this program to purchasing the dining plans.
TiW is available to FL residents, DVC owners and AP holders. The cost to DVC and AP holders is $150 for a year. FL residents pay $175 for the same card.

The card is good for 20% off at select TS locations, lounges and a limited number of QS locations. It includes alcohol purchases. An automatic 18% gratuity is added at TS locations and lounges. It’s good for a party of up to 10 people seated at one table.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/tables-in-wonderland/

I would ask yourself why you want AKL. My guess is it's because a 1 bedroom fits 5 people. Do you like AKL though? If it's not your favorite I would caution about buying there because it's not so easy switching resorts at 7 months. A lot of 1 bedrooms don't fit 5 people. A handful of studios do fit 5 but with growing kids I wouldn't want to stay in a studio. It's hard for us with just 2 kids (we have b/g so like the extra bed).

I would price out a resort you love to stay in, I think you said beach club. Check how much it would cost for a 2 bedroom and go with that many points.

Maybe go on a tour with DVC next time you're in Florida. Check out all the resorts etc.

We own 2 different contracts because we like staying at different resorts and wanted the 11 month availability. I just wish we had more points at BW especially since we bought a few years ago before Star Wars was a thing pushing up the price!

With the ages of your children, I can't see being comfortable in a studio for very long. And if you get a studio that sleeps five, one would be on a bunk sized Murphy bed. A two bedroom villa might be more comfortable. You could get by in an AKV-KV or BLT one bedroom since they have a second full bathroom off the entrance to the villa and both a queen sleeper sofa and twin sleeper chair. Owning at BLT or AKV, you could book standard views to save on points. OKW also sleeps five in a one bedroom and it has a split bathroom (sinks in both rooms, only one toilet, one shower, one tub). Plus OKW one bedrooms are very large compared to all the others. Both the kitchen and laundry room are full sized with full sized appliances (not stackable washer and dryer; full sized refrigerator with ice maker).

When our son was a CM in the Horticulture Dept at WDW, we'd often take him and some of his friends out to eat. Tables in Wonderland made it less painful to feed two or three extra mouths, including alcoholic beverages throughout the meal. When you work for Disney, you don't make very much money unless you are in Management. So feeding them all a nice full meal was a good thing for all of us. When we first bought TiW, it was about $50 a year. Now it's up to $150 a year so you need to spend a minimum of $750 (not including any DVC discounts you might be eligible for) to make up what you spend on the card. You have to be an AP, DVC blue card holder or Florida resident to buy the card.

Last edited:
Great point made by @Deb & Bill - consider the sleeping setup of what you get now versus DVC. A 1BR at most resorts has one "real" bed, then a sofabed, and sometimes a murphy that is slightly differently shaped than a twin. Some resorts are getting a wall bed to replace the sofabed, but if one is used to a "real" bed that may still be considered a shift in perspective, especially when one refers to YC as a "luxury resort."

A 2BR, depending on configuration booked, has either 2 or 3 real beds, and some combo of sofa/mutphy generally.

I really appreciate all the responses and it is helpful in my decision. I definitely need to look at the point charts closely and determine how many points are necessary. I was looking at Animal Kingdom Lodge because the contract expires much later than the Beach Club...though the Yacht / Beach club area is our favorite in all of Disney. By the comments, it seems switching to another location is pretty difficult.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter