DVC Member Cruise Sept 2023

YOU WERE TOLD !!!!!!

It is a l o n g and nerve-wracking process. It is always this why.
You have over 100,000 members. A phone trunk for 500 calls and 125 agents.

That why you have to have a phone that can be plugged in, and alot of PATIENCE.
How about dvc does a separate line for something like this? Then members with other vacation issues can still get through for the help they need?

Seems like I was in good company with everyone today trying to book this cruise. We used 2 phones, over 1000 busy signals, and experienced over 20 hangups after privacy speel. After 1 hour was finally put on hold with the music. After another 59, please don't hang up on me, minutes, we got through to a very nice person. We were able to book the room we wanted, Cat 5A - deck 10 aft. Not crazy about being aft, but I was thrilled to get a cabin. I agree with others that the DVC member cruise to Bermuda was much easier to book, but glad its over and we were able to book a cabin.

Seems like I was in good company with everyone today trying to book this cruise. We used 2 phones, over 1000 busy signals, and experienced over 20 hangups after privacy speel. After 1 hour was finally put on hold with the music. After another 59, please don't hang up on me, minutes, we got through to a very nice person. We were able to book the room we wanted, Cat 5A - deck 10 aft. Not crazy about being aft, but I was thrilled to get a cabin. I agree with others that the DVC member cruise to Bermuda was much easier to book, but glad its over and we were able to book a cabin.
I’m 10 forward. Those midship rooms went quick.

Our cabin for the DVC cruise is $1711 per person (I’m assuming without taxes/fees). Same cabin on the 4-night one week later is $1272 per person.
So it turns out now that we've paid, the quoted price for the DVC cruise includes taxes, fees, and gratuities. The total per person price for the cruise the following week including taxes and fees is $1373.60. I'm not sure if that also includes gratuities - have never booked directly through the website.

So it turns out now that we've paid, the quoted price for the DVC cruise includes taxes, fees, and gratuities. The total per person price for the cruise the following week including taxes and fees is $1373.60. I'm not sure if that also includes gratuities - have never booked directly through the website.
Disney Cruise line pricing does NOT include gratuity. They recommend $14.50 per person per day, though we typically end up tipping much more as the wait staff and crew are always exceptional.

Traditionally DVC MC has included gratuities in given cost, points or cash.

Ok, so got through to music / hold around 9:35 AM PST, started on/off since 7:05 AM, earnestly cycling between 800- number and 407- number since 9 AM. Even if dropped at this point, I have achieved at least a small sense of accomplishment lol!
Got through at exactly 1hr mark of music-hold (10:35 PST)...on hold for cast member getting confirmation that they are all sold out...hope hanging on a thread...still on hold for confirmation now > 10 min (what is taking so long to confirm all sold out? maybe not just a computer / system glitch? 10:45 PST)...hoping against all odds...11:14 AM PST cast-members are all logged off, still waiting for the final confirmation from DCL that there aren't anymore cabins, a few other guests still on hold, consoled I'm not alone...

11:51AM PST (80 min hold)... My mom always says, "good things come to those who wait...a few cat 9Bs available! Means I have to get two cabins for my family of five, CM is experienced and seems not worried.

There is light at the end of the tunnel.

12PM PST almost done! Got adjoining rooms with connector door! Hoorah! Call disconnects.

12:15 DW instructs me to call back to get confirm numbers for our peace of mind. 12:30 CMs magical voice wakes me from sleep (dosed off listening to Disney hold music).

07/23/22 2:46PM I feel we lucked out for our first member cruise! Future sailors onboard Disney Wish DVC Member Cruise 2023! Woot!!!

I called in at 9:59 am. Got right through to the wait line, and then to a person. She was lovely, but she was clearly new. There was some hold time, while she talked to people To figure out next steps. She was very nice, tho. I was done by 10 55. My sister was calling from Ohio, and she completed her reservation about 20 minutes after me. We got rooms together on deck 10!

I’m 10 forward. Those midship rooms went quick.
I just hope the aft doesn't shake me half to death like the room we had on the Fantasy in January. We had them move us at 1am. They sent an officer to our room and he agreed no one could sleep in that cabin. Maybe the Wish will be ok.
Congrats on your cabin, and yes, Mid-ship goes very quick.

Well, I always do read back/repeat back so that wasn't the issue...

After being on hold for 1 1/2 hour AGAIN on 2 phones, we finally got through at the same time (go figure) and confirmed that we do have a room, the problem was that the original CM never entered my or DH's birth date when making the reservation, so that's why we couldn't pull it up on DCL site. This CM was very confused and said that should never have happened - I guess its lucky that it was still booked under our names without complete info?!
He entered the birth dates and now I can see it on DCL.
He did immediately answer the phone with "we are completely booked" and I was like "yes, I know, I hope I am already included, please help me!!"
YAY!!!!! GLAD IT WORKED OUT FOR YOU!!!! WELCOME ABOARD!!

Yes you are correct, that is how it works. The insurance is good for as many trips as you take in the use year, not just this cruise. For the $99 cost it actually covers a higher limit for medical evacuation 250,000 from DVC insurance vs 30,000 from DCL insurance. I am more concerned with this coverage and happy with the fact that DVC insurance now covers cash payments. I am ok with using the annual dues for dollar value of points.

My annual dues come to $7.82 x 207 pts for cruise = $1,618. Very close to cash price of 1 passenger. $1,762 for cat 5B cash price. For prior cruises where I went through DVC and used a combination of points and cash, the cash price DVC charged for the second passenger was exactly the same as the price listed on DCL per passenger for that cruise.

Thanks for verifying! I thought it is pretty good insurance too for 2 people for a cruise! $99!! WOW!!
You also have until 10 days till your cruise to purchase it.

I started a Fish Extender group for the cruise over on FB. Is that OK to say? Not sure how this all works. If you search for it I am sure it will come up. Its set to public just for the first few days to make sure everyone can find it easier

I just hope the aft doesn't shake me half to death like the room we had on the Fantasy in January. We had them move us at 1am. They sent an officer to our room and he agreed no one could sleep in that cabin. Maybe the Wish will be ok.
Congrats on your cabin, and yes, Mid-ship goes very quick.
You should be fine aft on the Wish. The Fantasy has known issues with aft vibrations, it's why we had a forward room for the first time on our June Fantasy cruise. We've been on deck 2 at the aft elevators of the Wonder and Magic with no real issues (some slight vibration on the Wonder, but nothing like the Fantasy.)

Thanks for verifying! I thought it is pretty good insurance too for 2 people for a cruise! $99!! WOW!!
You also have until 10 days till your cruise to purchase it.
Yes, no to purchase but if purchased early pre-existing exclusions are waived.

"PRE-EXISTING CONDITION EXCLUSION WAIVER: The pre-existing condition exclusion is waived if the plan was purchased
within 3 days of your payment on Maintenance charges. Please contact Member Services for further clarification."

Yes, no to purchase but if purchased early pre-existing exclusions are waived.

"PRE-EXISTING CONDITION EXCLUSION WAIVER: The pre-existing condition exclusion is waived if the plan was purchased
within 3 days of your payment on Maintenance charges. Please contact Member Services for further clarification."
I am sorry. I do not follow. Can you please explain? So, I have 3 days after I pay for the Member Cruise to purchase the "DVC Insurance" and it covers pre-existing conditions? Such as.... what?
Diabetes/heart disease/covid/etc??? If I wait after 3 days it does not cover pre-existing?
Not quite understanding.....

I am sorry. I do not follow. Can you please explain? So, I have 3 days after I pay for the Member Cruise to purchase the "DVC Insurance" and it covers pre-existing conditions? Such as.... what?
Diabetes/heart disease/covid/etc??? If I wait after 3 days it does not cover pre-existing?
Not quite understanding.....
for specifics on what a pre existing condition is probably best to call Travelex but generally a pre existing condition could be a medical condition that you already have that as long as stable no problem. if for some reason that medical condition causes you to not be able to take your trip it the insurance company can exclude the reason for the cancelation from being covered. to my knowledge all travel insurance companies have a policy regarding pre existing insurance.

I never got a clear answer on dues payments but my understanding is that annual dues are due the beginning of each calendar year but the insurance it self is based on use year. So that gets confusing. So as an example to avoid any confusion I just purchased the 2023 use year insurance even though the points I used are from 2022 use year and they are covered by the insurance previously purchased for 2022 use year. The tricky part is the cash payment and no clear answer on from DVC member service on which use year covers the cash portion. So I purchased the 2023 use year insurance now just incase. As long as you purchase 2023 use year insurance before January 2023 when dues are due there would be no issue with pre-existing conditions.

To make things more complicated I pay dues automatically monthly which is another reason why I purchase the insurance prior to the calendar year.

Last edited:
for specifics on what a pre existing condition is probably best to call Travelex but generally a pre existing condition could be a medical condition that you already have that as long as stable no problem. if for some reason that medical condition causes you to not be able to take your trip it the insurance company can exclude the reason for the cancelation from being covered. to my knowledge all travel insurance companies have a policy regarding pre existing insurance.
Ok, gotcha.. Yeah, I think we will be ok and wait to get the "DVC Insurance" later on down the road.
Thanks again!!

I always use our home phone with Member Services. Apparently they called my cell this morning and it was off. I tried calling regarding payment and the message is they are busy, call back. I hope this works out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter