DVC member who wants to add some points at BCV

gracelrm

<font color=teal>Wow - you learn something new eve
We've been DVC members at VWL (BRV) since 2001 and purchased our points direct from Disney. DH just retired and I will retire in another year and we are thinking we'd like some points at BCV in addition to our points. We've always taken family trips, but now we are thinking our retirement will allow some extra trips and we love BCV. It seems like I read that DVC no longer will put you on a waitlist for BCV points - is this accurate information? If we could find a resale for BCV - how would that work? I know that resale points are now a little different than points direct from Disney and I'm just wondering how that would affect our points/contract and any member benefits that we have?

Buying resale is about 30-40% less than direct for BCV, and is really the only way to go since you're already a member and qualify for the perks.

I would suggest the "Purchasing DVC" section for this. There's a ton of good info there. The second sticky thread has a list of brokers; all of which are considered excellent to work with. (I've bought from two, myself. :) )

https://www.disboards.com/forums/purchasing-dvc.28/

Agree with Scuba, do not pay Disney direct prices for a contract that only has 25 years left, you must buy resale.

Agree with Scuba, do not pay Disney direct prices for a contract that only has 25 years left, you must buy resale.

Small BCV contracts were hard to find on the resale market when I was looking a few years ago, and were expensive.

The "only so many years left" theory was what my guide tried to use on me to convince me to buy the newest resort. I doubt I will be going to Disney in 30 years, and my nieces and nephews wouldn't want my contracts because they wouldn't want to pay the dues.

Small BCV contracts were hard to find on the resale market when I was looking a few years ago, and were expensive.

The "only so many years left" theory was what my guide tried to use on me to convince me to buy the newest resort. I doubt I will be going to Disney in 30 years, and my nieces and nephews wouldn't want my contracts because they wouldn't want to pay the dues.
The point is if you want to sell in 20 years after you stop going, it's worth very little whereas a 2054+ contract will still command a healthy resale value. So you are writing off a healthy sum when you sell by getting one of these resorts.

We've been DVC members at VWL (BRV) since 2001 and purchased our points direct from Disney. DH just retired and I will retire in another year and we are thinking we'd like some points at BCV in addition to our points. We've always taken family trips, but now we are thinking our retirement will allow some extra trips and we love BCV. It seems like I read that DVC no longer will put you on a waitlist for BCV points - is this accurate information? If we could find a resale for BCV - how would that work? I know that resale points are now a little different than points direct from Disney and I'm just wondering how that would affect our points/contract and any member benefits that we have?

I just wanted to say good luck with your purchase. You're where we were about a year ago. We originally bought in January, 2002. Like you, DH recently retired and we decided to purchase more BCV points. We went resale-we were fortunate enough that the right size contract in the right use year came through the day after we decided to do it. This is unlike our Hilton Head purchase-for that, we waited 8 months for the right size contract in the right UY. It's just a matter of luck, I guess.

The point is if you want to sell in 20 years after you stop going, it's worth very little whereas a 2054+ contract will still command a healthy resale value. So you are writing off a healthy sum when you sell by getting one of these resorts.

i guess i look at it differently. I'm happy with what I paid for the use I will get out of my contracts before they end. I bought where I love to stay. That is more important to me than making a profit with what's left when I'm too old to use the points.

So no regrets on my part for purchasing very small BCV contracts. But if other people make a profit off their contracts, more power to them.

Thanks - checking the Purchasing DVC section for assistance. Guess I just overlooked that whole message board thinking it was for first time purchases. Appreciate the responses!

IMO BCV is the most expensive resort resale even compared to VGF when you consider all factors. But if I were going to buy there, I'd definitely go resale. For retail I'd likely wait and see what the new resort looks like before committing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter