DVC Member's Cruise - July 23, 2018 - Castway Double Dip

Also, just a comment. I am not a fan of the “ban straws and lids movement”. They were/are gone on the Dream. I will remember to bring my own in the future.

I’m amazed at how this “anti-straw” thing has caught on, especially after it came to light that all of that 550 million straws used statistic ended up coming from a paper written by a 9-year old (I am not making that up, you read it right, all this is based upon the scientific research of a 9-year old...)

Sorry for the rant... :-)

@tidefan there was a thing about the 9 year old that started the straw movement yesterday or the day before on the local Orlando news. I didn’t realize he was the beginning of the movement. The kids did have lids and straws, but I would have at least liked a paper straw.

As for the events on board I really would have loved to do the Wreck it Ralph sneak peek. But I ran the 5k, and every other time they had for it coincided with another event. I tried to hit as many of the special events as I could but I didn’t really get to do any of the “regular” activities outside both 5ks.

I missed Growing up Disney because of scheduling conflicts and the acapella group because of full venue. I like what they had, would not want fewer things, but I would want things offered at least one more time.

There was a lid on my coffee.

We just wanted to thank everyone that participated in the candy exchange. We have already enjoyed many of the goodies! Our bag was missing the explanation sheet as it got left at home. Cabin 2028 - the candies included (except for the M&M) were all from Texas. Chick-O-Sticks and the peanut butter bars are made by the Atkinson Candy Company, based in Lufkin, TX since the early 1950's. The millionaires are considered 'Texan'. The peanut patties from Buckee's are somewhat Texan but where they were bought is definitely Texan!! We had a great time - didn't get to every event as there was so much going on - but had a great time overall. Hope all of you did too!

We just wanted to thank everyone that participated in the candy exchange. We have already enjoyed many of the goodies! Our bag was missing the explanation sheet as it got left at home. Cabin 2028 - the candies included (except for the M&M) were all from Texas. Chick-O-Sticks and the peanut butter bars are made by the Atkinson Candy Company, based in Lufkin, TX since the early 1950's. The millionaires are considered 'Texan'. The peanut patties from Buckee's are somewhat Texan but where they were bought is definitely Texan!! We had a great time - didn't get to every event as there was so much going on - but had a great time overall. Hope all of you did too!
We loved your offerings! Yeah for Texas! Thanks for the explanation!

Thanks to everyone in the FE gift exchange! We were especially happy to be able to track down and meet the Neumann Family who had been moved from 8504 to a stateroom much closer to us, right on our deck! My son was *quite* worried that they would not be getting their FE gifts. LOL

We had Mickey straws from our pre-cruise WDW visit so we didn't miss the lack of straws much (though all three kids at our only sit-down dinner had a straw and lid on his/her drink). But I did feel like there was a LOT crammed in and, as a single parent, I had no time to actually relax since I was either shuttling my kid to/from Oceaneer's or Castaway Cay, and trying to address logistical snafus when I had alone time. We did not make it to a single character greet line in time to meet the character; we would show up 10-min before and the line was already started for the NEXT character in that spot. WOW.

Two Qs:

(1) My friends said they had 300 photos from their 7-day cruise. We got 20, of which 2 were not even ours. I had a difficult time tracking down photographers both on the ship and on CC. Is that typical on a Disney Cruise, this lack of photographers?

(2) Despite feeling always on the run from one even to the next, I am VERY grateful for two 20-min naps on those heavenly heated loungers inside the Rainforest Room. My issue: why was the price $99 for length of cruise pass when I could have paid $16 for my three days using one-day passes? I was told that those 1-day passes would not be honored if space ran out, and felt strong-armed into buying the $99 length of cruise pass, when I would have paid even less for three $27 day passes...but was also told that those would not be available for sale b/c the RR was too full. Is that also typical Rainforest Room experience?

Just trying to figure out answers for those two Qs b/c of clients going on upcoming cruises and I want to steer them in the right direction, on whether to buy photo pkg or not, to buy Rainforest Room passes in advance or not, etc.

DvF Diva, you can ask your questions about the Rainforest on the general DCL Cruise line forum if you do not get answers here. I know nothing about the spa and what is offered.

Thanks to everyone in the FE gift exchange! We were especially happy to be able to track down and meet the Neumann Family who had been moved from 8504 to a stateroom much closer to us, right on our deck! My son was *quite* worried that they would not be getting their FE gifts. LOL

We had Mickey straws from our pre-cruise WDW visit so we didn't miss the lack of straws much (though all three kids at our only sit-down dinner had a straw and lid on his/her drink). But I did feel like there was a LOT crammed in and, as a single parent, I had no time to actually relax since I was either shuttling my kid to/from Oceaneer's or Castaway Cay, and trying to address logistical snafus when I had alone time. We did not make it to a single character greet line in time to meet the character; we would show up 10-min before and the line was already started for the NEXT character in that spot. WOW.

Two Qs:

(1) My friends said they had 300 photos from their 7-day cruise. We got 20, of which 2 were not even ours. I had a difficult time tracking down photographers both on the ship and on CC. Is that typical on a Disney Cruise, this lack of photographers?

(2) Despite feeling always on the run from one even to the next, I am VERY grateful for two 20-min naps on those heavenly heated loungers inside the Rainforest Room. My issue: why was the price $99 for length of cruise pass when I could have paid $16 for my three days using one-day passes? I was told that those 1-day passes would not be honored if space ran out, and felt strong-armed into buying the $99 length of cruise pass, when I would have paid even less for three $27 day passes...but was also told that those would not be available for sale b/c the RR was too full. Is that also typical Rainforest Room experience?

Just trying to figure out answers for those two Qs b/c of clients going on upcoming cruises and I want to steer them in the right direction, on whether to buy photo pkg or not, to buy Rainforest Room passes in advance or not, etc.

Two Qs:

I wish I had met the Neumann family. I delivered their FE gift to cabin 8504 and the guest in that cabin returned it to me. I inquired with guest services but I only had first names and a DIS board name. I was told they needed a last name to help me find them. So I just brought the gift home. I felt just awful. I guess I printed off my list to early as I have now seen the cabin number had been changed on our FE list.

"Did anyone else feel as though maybe DVC put too much during this itinerary? I guess I am comparing it to the 2015 Alaska MC, which was a 7-night. On that cruise, I felt like we had enough time to both enjoy the “extras” as well as enjoy what a typical Alaska cruise would offer."

We did the 7-night MC last year and this 4-night cruise definitely felt like it flew by. If one of the Castaway Cay days had been a sea day then the schedule would've allowed more time for presentations. I think the number of events was great, but you definitely had to pick and choose which event to attend. We did the divide and conquer method. Some in our group went to the Wreck-It-Ralph presentation while some went to the Growing Up Disney session since they were at the same time.

We did have dinner at Palo one night and went to a Mixology tasting and beer tasting. I cancelled our Champagne tasting once onboard since it conflicted with the Artists in the Atrium presentation which was only held one time. Overall an outstanding cruise but definitely prefer a 7-night sailing.

I wish I had met the Neumann family. I delivered their FE gift to cabin 8504 and the guest in that cabin returned it to me. I inquired with guest services but I only had first names and a DIS board name. I was told they needed a last name to help me find them. So I just brought the gift home. I felt just awful. I guess I printed off my list to early as I have now seen the cabin number had been changed on our FE list.

I was only lucky enough to find them because I was (a) running all around the ship with my kid doing Midship detective and was looking at all the names on the FEs hanging up as we criss crossed the ship and (b) they ended up in a stateroom on my deck and also starboard side. I don't think I ever visited the port side of my deck! LOL

Really nice family and it was rough that GS was really unable (unwilling) to help us. I only found out the family's name when they happened to deliver their FE gift to me with a tag. I had suspected they were the people in cabin 6660, and thus able to provide GS with their first and last name and previous cabin assignment. GS would not even tell me the new cabin assignment; I had to tell it to them and have them confirm I was right. Very tough and tricky situation. Need to find out a way to communicate with rest of FE group once onboard next time, for exactly this reason.

Not everyone has a pond, but we do without shade. We have this great use for the umbrellas! As soon as I noticed that it clips on to something, I figured they were just right for the fence!

A7B3EAA1-43D9-476C-B03A-FC6CDFCBFF63.jpeg

Last edited:
Question:

Did anyone else feel as though maybe DVC put too much during this itinerary? I guess I am comparing it to the 2015 Alaska MC, which was a 7-night. On that cruise, I felt like we had enough time to both enjoy the “extras” as well as enjoy what a typical Alaska cruise would offer.

In contrast, this itinerary being only 4 nights with 2 CC days and 1 sea day seemed to fly by and you had to pick and choose what to do.

I did run both CC 5k’s (so hot and humid, but worth it!) and we spent almost all day on the island. I would have liked to have done the backpack activity, but I think it was completed by the time the 5k was over.

On our sea day, we had our 10am Palo Brunch (free b/c Platinum), I had a 2pm mixology (which was great and lasted til about 3:45), and then went to the Adventures by Disney presentation at 4:45 (unfortunately, we did not win the free trip...), then the show, then dinner, then the late movie. We didn’t have any time to do any of the special stuff they had. Just seemed like the 7-night spaced things out much better...

That being said, we had a wonderful time!

Yes, we did not have enough time to do it all! Between the CC days, it was tough. I also found programs were offered too late for me! I'm an early bird (4a early!) so I just can't do it! Managed both fireworks shows though!!!! I think we all wanted to the best of both worlds -- all the great things of the cruise and its itinerary as well as all the wonderful programming.

I completed by survey as well, high marks, but not area for specific comments which I wish it had.

And I'll brag here...my husband won the 5K on Tuesday!

Thank you all for sharing on this board before and after the cruise, and thanks for all the goodies from the candy exchange! I think I had 3000 steps by 5 a.m. from delivering my treats!

Two Qs:

In regards to your questions...

Photopass -- we seemed to be lacking photos from this trip as well. Also, at times was told it would be done by facial recognition, well we NEVER saw any of those pics. I felt like we were getting our picture taken enough but they weren't showing up either in print or digital. Then it just got away from me to try to track them down. In Shutters, I saw people with stacks and stacks of printed photos -- wow -- I was like how do you narrow that down!?

Rainforest pass -- we typically do the pass for the length of cruise. We love those heated loungers as well! That's what we are told too but since we don't try to buy a pass on a daily basis I wouldn't know. We didn't do a pass/nor even a day because we figured with the DVC/Disney programming, we wouldn't make it. I'm glad we didn't as I didn't have enough time for anything it felt like!

In regards to your questions...

Photopass -- we seemed to be lacking photos from this trip as well. Also, at times was told it would be done by facial recognition, well we NEVER saw any of those pics. I felt like we were getting our picture taken enough but they weren't showing up either in print or digital. Then it just got away from me to try to track them down. In Shutters, I saw people with stacks and stacks of printed photos -- wow -- I was like how do you narrow that down!?

Rainforest pass -- we typically do the pass for the length of cruise. We love those heated loungers as well! That's what we are told too but since we don't try to buy a pass on a daily basis I wouldn't know. We didn't do a pass/nor even a day because we figured with the DVC/Disney programming, we wouldn't make it. I'm glad we didn't as I didn't have enough time for anything it felt like!

LOL -- I saw that too! I was wondering where people were going to get so many photos taken!
And yes, its true that you had to pick between a scheduled program or the RR. I ended up taking three 20-min naps (one per day) in the RR while my kid was getting his daily dose of Xbox in Oceaneer's. I think I will keep calling the RainForest Room "Moms Club" because it was such a nice break.
:)

I hope you enjoyed the cruise! Despite any criticisms I had, I would do it again because my son LOVED it!

Hi everyone! Just wanted to thank the Team Incredibles families for our gifts and both tidefan and bobbiwoz for organizing all of this for us. We had so much fun participating with all of you! I wish we’d had time to be able to meet up with more of you as well but what can you do on a short trip. Hope everyone had a great vacation. Enjoy your mug rugs and thanks again!

We just opened Hi Chew Bites from California! Very nice:thumbsup2 Thank everyone again for participating in the Candy/Snack Exchange!

We have plenty left.

Our next cruise is a good one, Royal Caribbean to Hawaii. Nothing compares to the friendly touches things like Exchanges add to DCL Cruises.

Bobbi

I hope everyone enjoyed your Bud's Best Cookies and Golden Flake potato chips. Side note on Golden Flake chips. They were made famous in the south for the most part because Bear Bryant used to eat them...

I hope everyone enjoyed your Bud's Best Cookies and Golden Flake potato chips. Side note on Golden Flake chips. They were made famous in the south for the most part because Bear Bryant used to eat them...
Your cookies with milk! Great combination! The chips never made it home, they were gone!:)

Your cookies with milk! Great combination! The chips never made it home, they were gone!:)
The chips were being munched down when I returned from my FE run that day (my salty-snack-loving guys particularly thank you for those, by the way), and I’m pretty sure I never laid eyes on the cookies.:rolleyes: I had the Hi Chew Bites to myself, though, and yum!!

DH teased me before we boarded that we really had no need for more food, but boy, did he love it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter