Votes: 8 10.8%
  • 7. 301k-350k

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • 8. 350k-450k

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 9. 450k+

Votes: 5 6.8%

• Total voters
I don't think it matters, especially people have so many choices when it comes to DVC. You can buy a small contract that the MFs doesn't even break 1K a year. Or you can go big and have thousands of points that MFs a year are more than my mortgage. :confused3

They’re real estate contracts.

I would think that the more you make the less likely you are to buy a time share. If you want to buy, you’ll get a second home near the parks or buy in Golden Oaks. You wouldn’t buy a timeshare.

I don’t know… personally I’m not interested in owning and managing a second home near the parks. I like the flexibility of DVC and using it for WDW, DLR, and Aulani. I like staying in a 1BR or 2BR with a kitchen and washer/dryer in a Disney resort, within walking distance or with easy transportation to a park. I like that I can change my mind and stay at a different resort on my next trip, and that I don’t have to think about upkeep/repairs like with a house.

In 1991 when DVC started selling pre-sales, it was about $107 a point or so in today's dollars.

In 2007, DVC cost $101 pp, or about $150 or so in today's dollars.

Now we are at $230 a point with Disneyland Hotel.

DVC is not as affordable as it was before, that is a simple reality.

The clientele through the years has probably changed as the product and perceived value has changed. I also think different families priorities different things.

Also, the current incentives at 150 points plus magical beginnings to me seem to be an acknowledgement that the pricing had become unsustainable.

Not DVC. Looked into it in 2000, decided not for us. Could afford it, decided not to take the plunge. Happy with that decision.

I've looked into it but it's just not for us. We spend more of our vacation time in Europe where we have many regular places that we stay and I go down to WDW every so often to visit friends (DW isn't huge on theme parks). It seems very expensive to me. If anything we have considered the Wyndham timeshares. I'm not sure income has a ton to do with it as much as lifestyle and priorities. We LOVE to travel and it's the number one thing we spend money on but we also don't have kids; go to other places besides the Disney properties; and, other than student loans, have no debt.

So like I said, priorities and lifestyle.

These types of financial questions never go well on here and you have no idea if people are answering truthfully. Everyone who owns DVC doesn't participate on this site, so the reponses are only a fraction of those who do.

Not sure how the OP would use the survey information for any benefit relating to DVC. Are they more/less likely to purchase DVC based on how their income stacks up with everyone else? Why would that matter? Some pay cash for DVC while others might finance it. If you pay cash, I would think they are going to ask fewer financial questions compared to someone financing it. Income alone is only part of the financial picture. If you are already paying a mortgage on your primary residence that eats up most of your available income, you may not qualify for an additional loan for a DVC purchase regardless of your income. Whoever issues the loan would clearly do some sort of financial background checking (income vs. debts) in order to be satisfied you have the means to make the loan payments.

I’ve also wondered what is income. I think of earnings from a job. If you take money out of savings, it that income? Or social security , is that income?
then there's the factor of gross vs net income or taking it a step further-disposable income. 2 households with identical incomes but living in regions with different tax laws can end up with much different net income. figure in how cost of living differs and those households end up with even greater differences in disposable income. we are a household of 2 retirees who moved to a state other than that we retired in-those who remain there making the identical pensions/social security spend a great deal of their income on both state income tax (we have none) and general cost of living (despite inflation i pay here for some items and services what i was paying in the '80's and '90's there).

as for dvc-our income was verified when we bought in '99 b/c it was a standard question on a financial contract. we only owned for 8 years before we sold-the writing was on the wall as far as the grossly increasing dues and limiting/elimination of tradeout abilities (and people were still stung/hurting/complaining on the dis board about having bought in when unlimited free parks admission was inclusive and having had it taken away with no compensation). we had bought in with the idea of using it for some disney travel but also the ability to trade for other international opportunities. we did'nt forsee that being as viable so we sold and pretty much recouped what we had paid in. we had a decent run with it-several multi week vacations (lived too far away to make it worthwhile to do short trips), a couple of fully paid for disney cruises and one trade out to do an alaskan cruise. i've run the numbers since and with the limitations disney puts on it/covid and world events have put on it-we would be at a tremendous net loss at this poing despite resale values.

The responses make sense to me... The majority are "middle class". Just my opinion but the "rich" how ever you define that (500+ a year? Millionare whatever) Have no need to own DVC if they want a multi-room stay at WDW they will simply pay 15-20 grand cash for a normal stay without the hassle of ownership AND want the services DVC doesnt offer ( daily housekeeping, other services)

I think the majority owners are 1. Disney fans 2. who forsee multiple trips in their lifetime 3. and did the math where DVC makes financially sense.

Demongraphic most likely: Your typical middle class family who vacation 1 or 2 a year and where Florida from cost sides is affordable compared to say yearly trips for a family of 4 to europe etc..., travel to WDW twice a year.

The above is not the "rich" crowd, but doing ok, well crowd who prioritze WDW over maybe other things.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter