DVC Membership card

I still believe it's unfair and unrealistic and that members who are affected by this should make that known to DVC.
Yup. Even if 5% of WDW guests do not have smartphones, when considering the attendance numbers, is A LOT of people.
Granted not all of them need it for DVC discounts, but there are numerous other things it is, or will be, required for.

ETA: Cannot forget about the folks who left their phone in the room (or even at home), have no battery, etc…

Are you arguing that they are so few in number that DVC shouldn’t bother to train CMs that a printout of the date-limited digital card from the member website, along with photo ID, is acceptable proof of DVC-Y status?
What I'm saying is that at some point, when you represent the smallest element of the population, you can't expect rules and regulations to cater to your specific needs. Particularly if you are a member of that cohort by choice. At some point Mohammed has to go to the mountain, because the mountain isn't coming to him.

I agree that the web site still offers the ability to download a printed card, and that those cards should be accepted (and CM's properly trained to do so) until they stop providing that option, but at some point in the not too distant future, even those 65 and older will, as a group, also be fully smart phone savvy. If, at that point, someone still doesn't have a smart phone just "because they just don't want one", then it's possible they will need to "go to the mountain", or lose out on the membership extras, etc.

Last edited:
If that 10% off at Wetzel's Pretzels is that important to you, learn how to use the Wallet app on your iPhone.

We're going back to WDW in June, first time since the digital cards. I never use Apple Wallet. I have tried to download it by opening the wallet. Is there another way to download the card or is there someone at WDW that can help me?

We're going back to WDW in June, first time since the digital cards. I never use Apple Wallet. I have tried to download it by opening the wallet. Is there another way to download the card or is there someone at WDW that can help me?

You have to go the the MM pass first and add to wallet.

But, in order to use wallet, you need a passcode on your phone. But, the people at GR can help you getting it set up.

Yup. Even if 5% of WDW guests do not have smartphones, when considering the attendance numbers, is A LOT of people.
Granted not all of them need it for DVC discounts, but there are numerous other things it is, or will be, required for.

ETA: Cannot forget about the folks who left their phone in the room (or even at home), have no battery, etc…
I’m guessing there’s nowhere near that number of people visiting the parks with no access to hotel reservations, park reservations, dining reservations, Genie +, Lightning Lane, Mobil food orders, etc. The number of families without at least one member using a smart phone is smaller still.

I’m guessing there’s nowhere near that number of people visiting the parks with no access to hotel reservations, park reservations, dining reservations, Genie +, Lightning Lane, Mobil food orders, etc. The number of families without at least one member using a smart phone is smaller still.
I would not trust my 5 year old to handle things.
That said, even if it’s 1%, that’s too many.

Our company requires us to have iPads, so… they buy us iPads, plus have a training course how to use them.

I realize I’m old fashion (yet do have an iPhone), but I freely admit I’m not very good at it. Setting all this up is not for me.

YMMV

Looking for simpler times….

We found it very hit and miss.

Most cast members did ask for the digital version (presented through MDE or Apple Wallet). We saw a number of Members taking the temporary card from the website as discussed below.

On two occaisions, they didn't even ask for evidence.

At some point, Disney is going to say "if you want the discounts, you have to use the digital card." That's just the way things are headed.

Most people following the simple instructions can have the digital card in their wallet in under 5 minutes. Even if you need to reach out for help, it doesn't take much longer than that. And it's a one-time step.

If that 10% off at Wetzel's Pretzels is that important to you, learn how to use the Wallet app on your iPhone.
It’s not a problem for me - I’ve used my iPhone Wallet for many years. And (gasp!) I’ve even posted explanations and instructions here to help various others get set up.

I’m just having a very difficult time understanding why I’ve gotten so much pushback after simply suggesting to a DVC owner, apparently DVC-Y but who does not own a smartphone and does not travel with anyone who does own a smartphone, that they should let DVC know how it affected their visit.

It’s not a problem for me - I’ve used my iPhone Wallet for many years. And (gasp!) I’ve even posted explanations and instructions here to help various others get set up.

I’m just having a very difficult time understanding why I’ve gotten so much pushback after simply suggesting to a DVC owner, apparently DVC-Y but who does not own a smartphone and does not travel with anyone who does own a smartphone, that they should let DVC know how it affected their visit.
I guess because ultimately it won’t change anything and end of the day, you want your discounts get a smartphone and get the digital card set up. It’s not going to go away and sooner or later you won’t even have the option to print the card either. What then, complain because they don’t even let you get the paper card?

Getting old man yells at sky at that point.

(Not directed at you, I know you play the game)

I appreciate your suggestion and will be emailing for what it's worth (nothing?). We've been members since 1999 and, while I have a smart phone, DH does not and doesn't plan to get one. It seems like his not having one will only affect us on a future trip when we use our APs still unactivated in my MDE, as he doesn't really buy merch or dine w/o me (we are more QS people). I think DVC could do SOMETHING for people w/o smart phones. For instance, maybe issuing temporary cards (like parking permits) with dates of your trip that you can pick up at (any) Guest Services - I would hope that, if you can show them your blue card with the membership # and photo ID, they could look up to see if you are still the owner. And, good point to the person who mentioned that there should be a solution if you lose or forget your phone or if the battery dies.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter