DVC must stop rentals.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
All time shares are inherently rigged against you. I’m in D23 and am an AP but I would never ever do DVC for this reason- it’s a time share scheme.
If you only ever read threads like this I can see how you can believe this. Maybe read some DVC trip reports to see the amazing side.

I have had an amazing time owning since 2009 and have never once felt that it was difficult or rigged against me.

I meant the limit should be on reservations without the owners name on it.
Wyndham is doing that now - they've restricted certain weekends/holiday dates and other highly desirable dates at their most desired resorts (such as Club Wyndham Bonnet Creek, down the road from RIV) to "owners only," and owners are allowed only 2 reservations a year that don't have their names on them, unless those reservations overlap with a reservation that does have the owner's name on them. Unfortunately, there have been multiple reports on the Timeshare Users Group of Wyndham's canceling reservations that shouldn't have been cancelled, at short notice, and owners' guests having been left without a place to stay. I'm not sure any of us would want to trust DVC's software to do better.

I have 18 reservations right now, and I’ve never rented out points. Six of them for a triple split stay over the summer. It’s pretty easy to have a lot of reservations if you’re split staying.

Last edited:
Another thought about why it might be getting harder to book at 7m (I’m totally ignoring the 6m bit):

I wonder how many people have bought cheap aulani points either with the intention to use them at WDW or to use them in Hawaii but then were locked out due to COVID travel restrictions? I imagine some of those points ended up at WDW as well, particularly given how much more open FL was vs Hawaii.

This is all par for the course for us. We have owned at VGC for years. You always have to plan way in advance. At 10 months and 3 weeks out you are likely to not find what you want.

I think demand is up because of people wanting to travel now, and the glut of points due to covid. I also think that it is not going to get any better any time soon. Just have to live with it.

As far as balancing, they are only concerned about keeping the rooms full - and it is working pretty well right now. They have no incentive to change it.

I have 18 reservations right now, and I’ve never rented out points. Six of them for a triple split stay over the summer. It’s pretty easy to have a lot of reservations if you’re split staying.
I think the practice they are talking about has more to do with grabbing a week at Thanksgiving, and one or two at Christmas, plus another during marathon weekend, when their next trip (for themselves or anyone else) isn't until next Easter. Reservations that, under no circumstance, will be used by the points owner or anyone they've met or even passed by at the DMV.

Having 20, 1, 2 or 3-day reservations, when the plan is to combine or keep as split stays on one trip, isn't the issue.

I think the practice they are talking about has more to do with grabbing a week at Thanksgiving, and one or two at Christmas, plus another during marathon weekend, when their next trip (for themselves or anyone else) isn't until next Easter. Reservations that, under no circumstance, will be used by the points owner or anyone they've met or even passed by at the DMV.

Having 20, 1, 2 or 3-day reservations, when the plan is to combine or keep as split stays on one trip, isn't the issue.

Yes, and the fact that a few brokers are now encouraging this practice by telling you to book these weeks in order to get on a point rental list. It's much more profitable for them.

Wyndham is doing that now - they've restricted certain weekends/holiday dates and other highly desirable dates at their most desired resorts (such as Club Wyndham Bonnet Creek, down the road from RIV) to "owners only," and owners are allowed only 2 reservations a year that don't have their names on them, unless those reservations overlap with a reservation that does have the owner's name on them. Unfortunately, there have been multiple reports on the Timeshare Users Group of Wyndham's canceling reservations that shouldn't have been cancelled, at short notice, and owners' guests having been left without a place to stay. I'm not sure any of us would want to trust DVC's software to do better.

With Wyndham, you can have as many guest reservations as you want, but are capped at 2 that are within the "owner priority period". I have already rented out 3 reservations this year at Bonnet Creek just fine. I like to rent out units at Bonnet Creek during their "value season" that is considered a higher point cost DVC week. They sell out so quickly to DVC owners/renters because they can rent a 1 bedroom at BC for $100/night, but a DVC studio is $200-300 for that same time period. I have another 2 reservations to rent out this year that are during the owner priority period (Thanksgiving), giving me a total of 5 reservations this year.

As much as the Wyndham owner portal has given me a headache, DVC is much worse. Also, Wyndham restricting certain dates hasn't changed availability because the owners just end up using the points. If I couldn't rent out my excess points, I'd probably just blow them all on staying in a Presidential Reserve unit so I can be fancy.

Unfortunately, there have been multiple reports on the Timeshare Users Group of Wyndham's canceling reservations that shouldn't have been cancelled, at short notice, and owners' guests having been left without a place to stay.
I'm not yet convinced this has actually happened, and I thought I was paying pretty close attention to the various Wyndham TUG threads. However, I also have a fair number of the mud-flingers in the Wyndham forum on ignore, so it is certainly possible I've missed it!

I'm not yet convinced this has actually happened, and I thought I was paying pretty close attention to the various Wyndham TUG threads. However, I also have a fair number of the mud-flingers in the Wyndham forum on ignore, so it is certainly possible I've missed it!
Hitchhiker corrected it in his post:

1. Overlapping reservations in the same name that haven't been corrected by the owner (who should know better than to do this in the first place).
2. Owners who have already received "cease and desist" letters for commercial activity - that continue to rent for commercial purposes. This very small subset of owners should not be surprised that rental reservations are being canceled as they have been legally warned already to cease and desist.

Most of the complaints were on Facebook. None of the Tuggers that actually know how their memberships works were complaining.

I am a charter member. So I am quite sure I understand.

I don't think the system was designed to handle the current iteration of the rental market. The fixed week issue is a real problem. I don't know what the solution is, but something should be done.

I am looking at the 2nd week of Nov and there is nothing.
By ”charter members“, do you mean that you own at OKW?

Spec renting could be stopped if every change to the lead guest was a "cancel and rebook". It could be limited to reservations made during the home resort priority booking period. To really be a deterrent, the waitlist process would need to be real time.

Of course, making that rule change would also impact members who need to make that sort of change & are not spec renting.

Pretty much every attempt to stop renting would result in unintended consequences / collateral damage. As they say, be careful what you wish for.
This sounds like a great idea actually with a pretty small downside.

Which means you own at OKW?

It isn't the rental market. It is SSR, cabins and bungalows.
Yes. Never added points anywhere else. Never would. The price points are ludicrous. But that’s another story.

I think you’re mostly right. But they aren’t revoking those points from sales of bungalows and Aulani.

So stop rentals till the glut clears.

Or don’t. And normal owners get to try and kill each other and cheat the system to book rooms. Whichever.

Yes. Never added points anywhere else. Never would. The price points are ludicrous. But that’s another story.

I think you’re mostly right. But they aren’t revoking those points from sales of bungalows and Aulani.

So stop rentals till the glut clears.

Or don’t. And normal owners get to try and kill each other and cheat the system to book rooms. Whichever.
I don’t know, selling off Aulani and detaching it from the pool is something that is possible, as I understand it. Same thing with VB & HHI. Someone feel free to jump in and correct me if I’m wrong.

Which means you own at OKW?

It isn't the rental market. It is SSR, cabins and bungalows.

Its a lot of things.

Its that four years ago someone tried to book a vacation at eight months and their home was booked! And at seven they couldn't get anything better than they own at, and so now they always book home early, and switch or waitlist if available. And for 30 years now, people have learned and the times have inched forward.

Its the amount of information on how to work the system available on the internet.

Its post-Covid travel and everyone being anxious for Disney

Its WDW 50th and all the park changes and new attractions.

Its more an more members with 50 points - or 50 point add ons - so that at really popular times of year they can get a studio during the home resort window

Its that the OP is booking at one of the peak weeks of the year for DVCers - Jersey Week. Mid Feburary would likely be a different situation.

Its a strange point allocation along with a strange room allocation - there aren't that many studios and they are cheaper than they should be. And there are lots of point heavy cabanas/cabins that sit open until late.

Renters contribute to some of this - they are told they need to make their reservations eleven months in advance. They do tend to book studios. I suspect that as DVC contracts have gotten so expensive the value of an unused point has gotten that much more expensive as well - I've wasted points over my ownership - 30 points I forgot to bank and didn't care about - $6 a point in dues and I bought the points for just over $60 twenty years ago......who cares. I might feel differently with hot $200 a point point in my hands that I was still paying the mortgage on. But they are one - I believe relatively minor - variable out of several. And one where the cure would be more painful than the disease - and one legally Disney can't do much about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter