DVC Perks??

taylorsmom2315

Earning My Ears
I'm looking at ressies in dec and am in the process of renting points....I wish to know what perks there will be available to me as a DVC member Renter.
Thank you so very much.
Rebecca :banana:

Hi, I believe the only "perk" available to you as a renter is the ability to purchase the Dining Plan.

DVC perks are typically available to members only, not renters.

You will receive the same "onsite" perks as those staying at regular WDW resorts on cash, except for daily housekeeping. You will get room charge privledges, resort delivery of purchases, free parking at the parks, EMH, DME etc. As your room key will likely say "*DVC Member*" you may get some minor discounts for dining, et cetera, when you present your room charge for payment, but you are not "entitled" to them. More and more of the discounts are requiring you to show the actual membership card which you will not have. BTW, you also will NOT receive the discount on annual passes, they absolutely require the actual membership card for that.

Why would you think you are entitled to member discounts if you are not a member????:confused3

Why does everyone on this board respond so rudely to people who inquire about renting points?

I'm looking at ressies in dec and am in the process of renting points....I wish to know what perks there will be available to me as a DVC member Renter.
Thank you so very much.
Rebecca :banana:

Hi!

I am now a BWV owner, but I have rented 3 times before I purchased a contract. The only "perk" that we were able to use was the free valet parking. (still tipped the valets though :) )That was a huge help since the BWV parking lot is a trek! I think all other discounts required a member card. Good luck!

Hi, I believe the only "perk" available to you as a renter is the ability to purchase the Dining Plan.
The Dining Plan perk is actually a three-part perk.
  1. You get to purchase the Dining Plan without having to pay a certain room rate -- usually rack rate or AAA discount package.
  2. You don't have to purchase any theme park tickets to get the DDP (normally a one-day base ticket is required for each guest)
  3. You don't have to pay for DDP up front. You pay for it when you check in.

I don't think it is rudeness-just a statement of fact. DVC member perks are just that-DVC MEMBER perks.

I must be looking at this cross-eyed. When I read Rebecca's post, I don't get any sense of entitlement, nor do I read anything about DVC MEMBER perks.

I get, "I'm renting points at a DVC resort, what goes with that?"

She's not asking if she can get away with pool-hopping, or get free valet, or dining and shopping discounts, etc, etc. She's just asking what comes with a DVC stay, considering the fact that she's a renter.

That's a perfectly legitimate question. And I'm apparently not the only person who read it that way, because that's exactly the way MrsNick and Chuck answered the question. What do I get? Here's what you get.

Dear Rebecca
There are a lot of rude people on the Dis, not just DVC members. Just take it with a grain of salt.
If you have any questions I would suggest contacting Webmaster DOC he is the moderator of the RENT/TRADE forum and is very knowledgeable and helpful regarding the DVC. I am sure he would be happy to answer your questions.

Good luck
Searl

Dear Rebecca
There are a lot of rude people on the Dis, not just DVC members. Just take it with a grain of salt.
If you have any questions I would suggest contacting Webmaster DOC he is the moderator of the RENT/TRADE forum and is very knowledgeable and helpful regarding the DVC. I am sure he would be happy to answer your questions.

Good luck
Searl

I thought her question was already answered on this thread??

I must have a thick skin (or head) because I don't see where anyone was rude. Everyone just stated facts. Deb & Bill actually asked the question I thought of when I first read the post (why do you think you are entitled to discounts...).

Let's face facts, folks. A LOT of people out there go for the gold. They ask for discounts even though they know they are not entitled to them. This is why I have written DVC several times asking that CMs always ask for our blue card before a perk/discount is allowed and that the key to the kingdom cards only say DVC member if the member is staying in the room (or they can prove they are a member).

JMO

Cyn

Technically the only perks are those available to all onsite guests. I rent out at times and when someone asks about perks, I always tell them that other than those everyone gets, they should not expect any. However, many times the room key will say DVC member and many times the other perks are extended to the renter or guest as well. There's just no way to know ahead of time what will be allowed or to guarantee them. Enforcement is on the Disney end and they can decide how aggressive to be in that area. Since essentially none of these perks cost DVC or the members anything, members really shouldn't care. However there appear to be those who feel a sense of loss if a non member gets something they think should only go to members. Petty I know but it does happen.

Dean, I don't think it matters if it costs us as members or not. I look at it this way. When I join a club, I pay to get certain perks/discounts. When I am a guest of someone at a different club, that's all I am (period). As an example, let's say some Museum members get a 20% discount on purchases in their store. I go with a friend who is a member. I don't expect to get any discounts on any purchases I make just because I'm with a member. If I want the discounts, I'll join the museum.

Maybe it is petty. My feeling is if someone wants perks/discounts, join the club.

Cyn

Dean, I don't think it matters if it costs us as members or not. I look at it this way. When I join a club, I pay to get certain perks/discounts. When I am a guest of someone at a different club, that's all I am (period). As an example, let's say some Museum members get a 20% discount on purchases in their store. I go with a friend who is a member. I don't expect to get any discounts on any purchases I make just because I'm with a member. If I want the discounts, I'll join the museum.

Maybe it is petty. My feeling is if someone wants perks/discounts, join the club.

Cyn
And that is the crux of the matter. You made or are making certain assumptions that may not be true. The truth is that essentially all long standing perks other than the golf and member cash discounts and one other I'm blanking on were specifically available to guests from when they were rolled out out. Over time this issue has evolved such that it's harder for guests to get the perks but the ball is in DVC's court and there are new perks that are more specific as to who gets them. Many specifically stated open to guests but not renters but they never enforced this distinction. It does not cheapen your membership in any way if someone else does or doesn't get those perks other than in your own mind. Hopefully you bought for one reason only, to use points at DVC resorts. Anything else would have been foolish.

Likely the biggest perk from day one for some of us was the free park passes and they were absolutely available to renters and guests. Other than those that are contractual Disney sets the rules. They could even offer discounts or perks based on which or how many points you own if they so chose to.

Since this is evolving from a renters question in to a discussion of whether renters should or should not get perks, I am moving to the Mousecellaneous board.

I agree with Dean, I don't care if the renters get dining discounts, etc. based on *DVC MEMBER* being printed on their room key. It does not impact my membership one way or the other, any more than whether Disney gives free tickets, food or rooms away to someone based on where they live, or how often they visit. The only thing I want to clarify is if a renter does receive those discounts, great for them, they got lucky :)...but if they find some server that doesn't give them the discount...then I don't want them to complain or make a scene, because it is not something they are "entitled" to by virtue of their DVC point stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter