DVC Poll

Do you wish you purchased your points earlier? Do you wish you purchased more points?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No regrets here, bought at a great time in 2000. Our first born was 10 months old, DVC purchased our first years points back for an added savings. We did add on 3 times, two small 50 point contracts through DVC and a resale contract (at a tremendous price) before any of the restrictions were placed on them. Only wished we had ‘owned’ at a different resort. When we purchased the only one available was Vero Beach, DVC has just sold out of Boardwalk and Wilderness lodge was not open for sale. We have never been to Vero, and have always gotten a reservation at 7 months, we just avoid the busiest weeks.

With the benefit of 20-20 hindsight:

I wish we'd bought earlier, when our oldest was still little and before the 2016 restrictions. I first started looking into DVC, what it was, etc. around 2013-2015, and prices were still even better than when we first bought in in 2017. I also would have bought more points at the outset. (We would have paid cash no matter when we bought.)

Interesting, though, if we had bought our points earlier, we probably would never have bought any points direct, and we'd probably have split our points between BLT and BWV. (And if we'd bought earlier, I wonder if we would have ever tried GF, thus bought VGF. And if we were happy with our alternate-reality purchase of BWV, we probably wouldn't have bought RIV.)

As for total # of points,* I think that where we are now is where we would have ended up back then as well, just for less $ (about 35% less $ for the same # of points). My addonitis is finally cured.

*(details hidden to protect the guilty)

I definitely wish we would’ve purchased more points. We tried to do the “let’s see how this small contract works...” route. Instantly, we saw it wasn’t enough for what we wanted to do.

Absolutely wish I had bought 25 years earlier. For sure. I was scared of my own shadow (timeshares).
Stupid because paid (major) cash to stay at the Poly in 1972 so should have known better in 1991 when 'OKW' opened.

Earlier......number of points is good. Paid them off when we bought each contract

When we purchased DVC we got nearly $2 to £1, which at $83 a point for BWV made it a bargain! Now the rate is something like 1.27 (thanks Brexit!) and, together with the higher prices, it’s not really economical. So, I sort of wish we’d bought a bit more back then. I mean, we’ve got enough really, but more points is always good!

:love:No regrets. Have Been a Member since 98. Banked them, borrowed them, rented them out, and never had a problem with the number of points or how to spend them. :groom:

I have been a member since 2005 (OKW). I purchased through a resell. At that time points were reasonably priced there were none of the resell restrictions. I am happy with both timing and amount of points.

never had a problem with the number of points or how to spend them.

I've never had a problem using or spending them ... it's when we run out that I have a problem! (hopefully not the case anymore)

I bought most of my points in the early 2000's which was perfect for my family and I at the time. I sometimes think about selling and acquiring some other points but overall I am very happy with the points I have.

I wish we bought more, however, that would mean a higher monthly maintenance cost. We bought 181 BCV points back in 2003, enough for a studio at peak season. I do wish we had a little more, but I am comfortable with my maintenance fee, so it works!

I chose both - purchasing earlier and purchasing more points. It took 10 years and someone else to tell him it's great before he was willing to buy in and then the guide talked him down from 175 points that I wanted to buy to 120 points. I wasn't happy about that.

So far I was able to add 35 points when I found a small contract with same use year for the same resort but my husband has since been laid off work and now says he doesn't want to buy more points. (We have our own business now). I'm still saving in the hopes that once I have enough saved up that he will be fine with me adding points. In the meantime I try to keep trips short so I can take 2 per year.

Over the course of nearly 20 years, we've purchased 900 points but at the moment we're a little over 400. So we're experiencing addonitis in reverse. But definitely no regrets!

No regrets although hindsight would have had me purchasing more back when things were at their lowest. I doubt that's an unusual thought though.

Might be interesting to also include 4 - if you thought you bought too much. 5 - if you wished you had waited to purchase. or even 6 - do you wish you hadn't purchased.
Also could add if you wished you selected a different resort

We bought AK sight unseen in 2007. Never looked back. I’m pleased we discovered resale because save for that first 200 point direct purchase, the rest are resale. We paid about $60 per point on our resale points. Up to 860 points now. I’m very pleased to own at AK because I like the point chart. The newer resorts’ point charts are so expensive.

Definitely wish we had bought earlier. The idea seemed ridiculous to me when I first heard of DVC. A couple of years later someone brought up the idea again and I actually looked into it and crunched the numbers and realized it would probably work out for us if we were going to keep taking annual trips. I could’ve saved a decent amount of scratch if I wasn’t so stubborn, but now we’re locked into decades of happy memories.

In hindsight we probably bought at the right time. We would’ve had to finance if we bought back then instead of paying in full.

Happy we bought when we did at BCV in 2002, I was 31 with 2nd child on the way, so we bought as many as we could afford which have worked out perfectly for us over the years. We're also in England so have the exchange rate to consider, which can have an enormous impact on a DVC points purchase, the £UK was very strong against the dollar for our 2002 purchase, yet when we added on in 2018 at CCV it really wasn't, so needed a very different perspective, thankfully we knew we'd use it, unlike the first purchase which really, was a bit of a gamble.

Wishing we had bought sooner, and more pts. No regrets about our purchases

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter