• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC -> RCI: Ins and Outs?

Tunderwood89

Earning My Ears
Hey All,

I'm sure a lot of us are in a similar boat right now and looking at RCI as a way to keep points we are about to lose. I've never been through this before so I'm curious if there are any resources available to help walk me through the process.

I'm less worried about how to use the points and more about how to actually transfer them. Do I need to call member services or can I do it online? Is there any kind of a deadline before my points expire to transfer them? Things like that. I've done some googling and haven't found much yet so I'm curious if anyone has experience in this area yet.

Just to give context. I have about 100 points from a June 2019 UY that were going to be used for a trip that was supposed to start on Wednesday of this week. Obviously this is no longer happening but we are also past our banking window deadline. Our points expire at the end of May so I'm trying to figure out what to do. In the grand scheme of things it's not a huge deal but I'd like to better understand my options. I'm hoping based on Disney's last e-mail that they make some kind of a policy change for people in my situation (either letting me bank the points or some other kind of compensation) but since my deadline is just over 1.5 months away I want to be sure to transfer the points to RCI if I need to.

Can anyone give tips in this area?

I have been looking at that too. I can understand why they can't let everyone bank points to 2021 from the 2019 UY. It would reduce availability of rooms in 2021. I would like to keep our options open since we are likely going to miss our trip this year as well. We always take a beach trip at the end of the summer so maybe we can get an RCI timeshare with the points that we banked from 2019.

I had to cancel my April trip and found out that my 100 points had to either go into RCI or lose them.
I have a June use year.
I called MS and they had me talk to a RCI rep who was great. She explained everything. So instead of waiting for dvc/DVD to say or do something, my point are now good for 2 years in RCI.
I would call and ask to talk to the RCI rep.

You have to call MS to get them transferred and your deadline is coming up this week. either the 15th or 17th..I have seen both reported.

Unfortunately, I don’t think we will have any answers from them until an actual date for reopening the resorts is announced.

It does leave you in a bind as to whether to wait them out and hope for some sort of rule changes/solution or safeguard for at least some future stay elsewhere

April 17 is 45 days prior to June 1.

According to the RCI Disclosure document, if you deposit after that but before 14 days prior to expiration, there are limitations to how you can use the deposited points.

if you deposit after that but before 14 days prior to expiration, there are limitations to how you can use the deposited points.
And based on the way RCI works, those limitations are severe. If you are still outside your 45 day deadline, and you expect to deposit to RCI, you would be well served not to miss the deadline!

I'm following this because we too are looking at RCI as an option, but we know NOTHING about it. The only problem with calling MS is that they said they're so swamped now, that they really don't want phone calls-do everything on line. But you have to call for this. Then once you find an RCI resort, I don't know how to reserve the week (or can you do just 4-5 nights? I've tried to figure that out, but can't). Someone gave me a good suggestion, to just do a lot of browsing and clicking. I have learned a lot, partly by checking tug2.net, also, but I still have a lot to learn.

The RCI website is pretty easy to use to search for places to stay and to book. I’ve reserved both with points and have done the reduced cash reservations. We stayed at an RCI in Canmore Canada just south of Banff that was fantastic if anyone wants to check out the Canadian Rockies, highly recommend! There are also lots of beach town rentals from Cape Cod to Virginia Beach etc

I just transferred my soon to be lost points . Here’s a couple of things I learned.

points have to be transferred in batches of 10. So if you have 83 points, you transfer 80 or borrow from next years points to get to 90. If you transfer 80, you loose the other 3 points.

RCI is Member Services, it’s the same people at DVC, just a different branch. You call the800 number and ask for the RCI division. (World Passport)

You can book by the week or days For RCI i was told, that renting a studio for a week is between 80 to 130 points. This is dependent upon where and when you book. Renting by day, it can vary. Cheaper during the week, just like our regular DVC.

The gentleman I spoke with was very helpful, just like our regular people we talk to.

I had to transfer my points by 15th, for my June use year.

I have an rci reservation for aruba for June 3 (booked last aug with 150 DVC pts) that I'm sure I will need to cancel. I assume the points will just go back into rci?? These were 2019 pts and some borrowed 2020 pts (june uy). Based on reading above I should cancel by april 17?

I have an rci reservation for aruba for June 3 (booked last aug with 150 DVC pts) that I'm sure I will need to cancel. I assume the points will just go back into rci?? These were 2019 pts and some borrowed 2020 pts (june uy). Based on reading above I should cancel by april 17?
RCI has a message specific to DVC owners:
https://b2b.rci.com/post-dvc-en_US/footer/travel-cancel-information.page

Travel/Cancel Information
RCI is committed to providing you flexibility throughout this uncertain situation. Please call DVC Member Services at 1.800.800.9800 for assistance with your RCI travel plans. While we work to navigate these uncertain times together, we encourage you to review all advisories and recommended guidelines before you travel.

You can go into the RCI website via the DVC website to see what is available to book. You can't book an Orlando resort, but there are some on beaches in Florida or other areas. They might not be the best of what you could get, but time is fleeting.

Asking because I have a March UY, and am hoping to go to HHI and WDW in February, however we have cancelled so much, I want to know if I have any options. I have 140 points in an early February reservation and about 100 in later February.

Is there a date by which those points MUST be moved in RCI? these are points that were banked in 2020.

I also have 2019 points banked into 2020 and won't be going back before they expire. I chatted with MS yesterday and was told that points need to be deposited into RCI no later than 45 days before expiration.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter