DVC Rentals(from Owners perspective)

gskywalker

DIS Veteran
Has anyone rented out their points through David's before? We are considering renting out our points because of Covid restricting the border in November in one way or another. It says it pays into a paypal account. I am apprehensive because I figure I will get stuck paying fees to move it to a bank account, fx conversion, etc. I can't seem to find anywhere that would explain how I get the money to me without paying fees or having a US bank account.

Hi
You would have to have (set up) a PayPal account and it would be connected to your Canadian bank account.
You will still get hit with the fees and fx conversion. Remember that the funds that David's transfers to you is in US Dollars.
Be careful though because if the resort closes down again you will be on the hook for refunding the money to David's and he would issue a voucher to the rentees. (So going forward dealing with rental,,bank the funds just in case of this happening.).You could end up be stuck with unusable or expiring points and also lose out on the 30% should the resort close again.
I am only saying this as I lost points,lost the 30% and refunded money in March.
David's has a new contract he is using and it is VERY different than his previous one.
Please read it well.

I have another reservation with David's for Oct 2020 rented out,,I'll see how it goes before dealing with them again. My renters are in USA so that might help.

Best Regards
Hugs
Mel

DO NOT USE DAVES,,,,I BEG YOU.
I dont say this lightly,
I have used them before, no issues, but since Covid there is MAJOR issues with him
Go over to the DVC boards, there is a thread with thousands of posts and complaints on how he has handled this lately.
Mel I wish you the best of luck, but both owners and renters have been screwed by him lately and he is still taking his own side in this.
pm me if you want more info. Or if you want to ask and see how easy it is to rent on your own on these boards. I have 2 pending coming this fall and have done so each year. I even have a Regular that calls me and asks.
Please before signing up with him check out the boards and see. He used to get all the praise on here, now I dont even think he is a sponser.

I dont say this lightly,
I have used them before, no issues, but since Covid there is MAJOR issues with him
Go over to the DVC boards, there is a thread with thousands of posts and complaints on how he has handled this lately.
Mel I wish you the best of luck, but both owners and renters have been screwed by him lately and he is still taking his own side in this.
pm me if you want more info. Or if you want to ask and see how easy it is to rent on your own on these boards. I have 2 pending coming this fall and have done so each year. I even have a Regular that calls me and asks.
Please before signing up with him check out the boards and see. He used to get all the praise on here, now I dont even think he is a sponser.
That's too bad. Sounds like he is imploding his own business. I saw that thread but it is now too big to sift through.

There is an active Facebook group where you can either rent points or rent out your own points if you are an owner. I have rented points on a couple of occasions and always like the safety net of using a broker, but perhaps COVID has changed all that. I had a great experience with David but that was pre-COVID. I did rent directly from an owner once and she was great to deal with, but I always worry about showing up at Disney and being told I don't have a reservation because the owner has screwed me and canceled my reservation while pocketing my money.

Last edited:

I dont say this lightly,

Hi Hon
Yeah
I have been kind of following that dreaded *Dave's* thread........
So want to rent my March Break reservation? lol
Hugs
Mel

I tried putting my points for rent here on the disboards but apparently they have this crazy rule that I must have at least 8 non rental posts a month for the last 6 months or I have to pay $25 to put out a rental post. Why? I have no idea but I found it in the details of who can post. This is all seeming like far too much work and headaches. I guess we will just take the chance and switch it over to RCI at the last minute if need be.

Last edited:
I tried putting my points for rent here on the disboards but apparently they have this crazy rule that I must have at least 8 non rental posts a month for the last 6 months or I have to pay $25 to put out a rental post. Why? I have no idea but I found it in the details of who can post. This is all seeming like far too much work and headaches. I guess we will just take the chance and switch it over to RCI at the last minute if need be.
They just want to know that you are active. Are you saying that you have not had that many, its not a lot.
You have 2 here already, plus your at mouseketeer so I thought you need to be past 10 posts for that.
I would try anyway.

I have rented out our points. Some I did to a fellow Canadian (that was easy - they just e transferred me in CAD), some I rented on a private FB group and some through Davids.

The last two options had me paid in USD. I left the money in a US PayPal account and thebit the bullet and transferred to my CAD bank account. I lost a couple hundred dollars (on about $2000) but oh well.

Daves was great - but this was before COVID and I would never agree to his new contract terms. I will rent any future points out privately and be upfront about the expiration of the points, ability to shift dates etc. A good contract that is fair to both parties will be even more important in this climate.

One work around I had seen for the exchange was to open a US bank account through a Canadian bank with a US
-based branch (ie: USA CIBC Smart account). You can then transfer your PayPal $$ into this account to keep it in USD. This requires a small monthly fee though. Just a note: you can’t do this with a regular US bank account that is Canadian based.

Last edited:

I found it difficult to rent my points here. First the mod didn’t approve my post because I “didn’t have enough posts” ... I am a very active member and had hundreds of recent postS. Finally got that sorted after a lot of back and forth and screenshots of my posts. Then the formatting was very confusing. So I kind of just gave up.
IMO it was much easier and very fast to rent my points on a private FB group.

Last edited:
They just want to know that you are active. Are you saying that you have not had that many, its not a lot.
You have 2 here already, plus your at mouseketeer so I thought you need to be past 10 posts for that.
I would try anyway.
They said I had three months that I had 7 posts and needed 8. The other 3 were well over the 8 needed. I think I am pretty active but I am sure I have times where I am less active. I mostly just look at the Canadian forum unless there is something in particular I need to know.

I rented with David for the first time and I am stuck with a Christmas DVC reservation this December. I would go if conditions allow to end this mess. Getting the voucher means more stress for a future DVC rental and the risk of losing all the money if something preventing me to travel happens again. I would never rent again. Paying more to book directly with Disney has more flexibility and peace of mind. This is my first and last time, and I am holding on until closer to my travel date to decide what to do with this trip.

I rented with David for the first time and I am stuck with a Christmas DVC reservation this December. I would go if conditions allow to end this mess. Getting the voucher means more stress for a future DVC rental and the risk of losing all the money if something preventing me to travel happens again. I would never rent again. Paying more to book directly with Disney has more flexibility and peace of mind. This is my first and last time, and I am holding on until closer to my travel date to decide what to do with this trip.
We rented once before and would have done it again, but I agree, too stressful worrying about if you're going to lose all your money, etc. In a few years I think I'd be more comfortable, but right now who knows if these rental companies will survive.
Another reason I just HAVE to buy my own DVC points... LOL

A few years ago I rented my points through David’s. The transaction was smooth, however I understand he has changed his owner’s contract to shift more liability onto the owner. Only you can decide if you are willing to take on that contract.

Regarding the payment, we left the US dollars as is in our Paypal account, and then used them to pay things requiring US $ (vacation home rental, ebay, purchased gift card to pay member dues, etc). Unless you need the cash, it is best to leave it as is.

It would be nice if there was a way to rent on this forum using CAD$, but I’m sure DIS wouldn’t allow it.

A few years ago I rented my points through David’s. The transaction was smooth, however I understand he has changed his owner’s contract to shift more liability onto the owner. Only you can decide if you are willing to take on that contract.

Regarding the payment, we left the US dollars as is in our Paypal account, and then used them to pay things requiring US $ (vacation home rental, ebay, purchased gift card to pay member dues, etc). Unless you need the cash, it is best to leave it as is.

It would be nice if there was a way to rent on this forum using CAD$, but I’m sure DIS wouldn’t allow it.
You can rent on these boards, and when you connect with the renter, just tell them you want Can$. There are a lot of Can renters on the boards. Read the rules before posting, but I dont believe that is one of the restrictions.

I've rented points 3 times, twice in FL and once in CA. All three times I have connected with the owner privately and thankfully all three times went extremely smoothly! I'd love to be able to rent from a Canadian and pay in CAD however. :)

You can rent on these boards, and when you connect with the renter, just tell them you want Can$. There are a lot of Can renters on the boards. Read the rules before posting, but I dont believe that is one of the restrictions.
I meant the Canadian board. It would be nice to have a sub-board dedicated to DVC transactions in CAD, but it would never happen.

We used to use David’s but he said due to tax laws he couldn’t pay Canadians anymore. I don’t know if this changed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter