• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

DVC Renter Questions

You can also rent direct from an owner.
you will have to do your own due diligences, but it is pretty easy to vet an owner, and save 3 or 4 dollars per point

"so if you want to stay at any of the preferred resorts you want to find an owner with points at that resort and book 11 months in advance…."

are there ways to do this other than using a rental company or scouting out the DVC rental posts on here?

Owners will offer their points to renters as a private rental. The big piece is that renters understand is that it is a private transaction and that one is not renting from Disney.

All owners have their own terms and conditions so it’s important to know those Because they do vary. Most are non refundable. Some owners offer the ability to change, some do not.

Personally, I don’t think a renter needs to have all the Ins and outs ahead of time regarding the inner workings of DVC before connecting with an owner because some of that only matters if the owner allows changes.

When I have rented to strangers…granted it’s only been a few times…I sent my terms and conditions at the start and answered any questions. Because I don’t allow changes, much of it isn’t needed.

The great thing is that is someone wants info, they can get it here on the boards!

i agree that people can get it, but i still get a lot of emails that start with “ i have never done this before” “ how does this work”. “ i can get 4 nights at a value resort for $400”….

so either they are not looking, which i have to be honest, i totally understand, or they haven‘t found the answer they are looking for…

i also agree they renters don't need to know all the ins and outs of dvc booking, but if they have some idea of why they cant rent the 16 dollar a point SSR points to stay at the poly 11 months in advance…. That is kinda important!

i agree that people can get it, but i still get a lot of emails that start with “ i have never done this before” “ how does this work”. “ i can get 4 nights at a value resort for $400”….

so either they are not looking, which i have to be honest, i totally understand, or they haven‘t found the answer they are looking for…

i also agree they renters don't need to know all the ins and outs of dvc booking, but if they have some idea of why they cant rent the 16 dollar a point SSR points to stay at the poly 11 months in advance…. That is kinda important!

I agree that having a place to find the answers to rentals is a nice thing. I just think that the questions owners get, and will continue to get, is because the potential renter has heard word of mouth that a DVC rental can save them money and then they just find a place that is offering them and make contact. .

I just think that as owners, we are going to end up more renters who need questions answered when actually trying to rent, than we will renters who are well researched.

All we can do is have threads like this with owners like you offering to answer questions!

Totally agree,
I think that is why I start my own thread and didn't hi-jack someone else's.
Plus it easily fills my 8 post per month quote ....

I am a DVC owner and I get some really strange request when renting points.
This got me to start thinking:

How many of you do your research before try to rent points.

Do you understand the priority windows of when an owner can book only the home resort, and when they can book all resort?

Do you understand why you really should or need to book 7 to 11 months in advance?

Do you understand that DVC is not the POP Century?

Do you understand use years and why you can’t just move a reservation

i have recently received these and many more question like these.

So for all of you thinking for renting DVC points. If you have questions I would be happy to try and explain the process, the value and the restriction as best i can.
I am a renter. First time with David’s. Then David’s and dvc rental store. Now with direct owner. I am very clear in the process and how it works. But David’s being the first time I rented really had a lot of info on site. Like other posters have said, I have think there are people who do research and those who are new and don’t know. I do know I do research on points. Any renter who is asking for $19 or more per point I don’t go with. I might as well go w a broker (for the same or one dollar more) and have a contract and feel secure w transaction.

19 dollars per point or higher my be the right price if a renter has reserved a preferred resort, for a holiday season, that is sold out,
however, that is a functional of market utility and supply and demand.

on the other hand I’m glad you were happy to be able to find the info you needed.

19 dollars per point or higher my be the right price if a renter has reserved a preferred resort, for a holiday season, that is sold out,
however, that is a functional of market utility and supply and demand.

on the other hand I’m glad you were happy to be able to find the info you needed.
If I wanted to secure it at 11 months I would pay that price, but with a broker. My point is at that price, there is no advantage of a renter to go through an owner. I would contact David’s at 12 months to get name on list and I’d prob be good to go. It is risky for owners to rent to people they don’t know for numerous reasons. However, super risky for a renter as well for many other reasons too. I have had only great experiences with the brokers and owners.

I agree, if i were looking to book a holiday week like Christmas to new years, I too would book 11 months in advance..

However, it is my experience that most people renting point do so less than 90 days in advances….

hence the propose of my thread.

Clearly, you just want to argue, and that's ok.
Send me a DM and we can argue this until Disney reverses direction on the Genie thing.
But Clearly they're people on this board that want or need help, or have never done this before, or maybe want their hand held. I'm offering them my time.
My post is to try and help those that want to ask questions.

Thanks for your input.
Is that directed at me? I don’t want to argue. I’m sorry if we have a difference of opinion.

I’m just saying, if I have a medical issue I will know very little about that. That’s why I go to a doctor.

If I want to visit WDW and rent a room, I will seek the knowledge of the renter. If they tell me it’s too late for that reservation, than so be it. I will trust their wisdom, but it’s not incumbent on me as a customer to know the details if your contract, home resort, use year, and the technicalities of DVC banking and borrowing. I’m just a guy looking to purchase your product. If you cannot deliver, just say so and I will accept your word.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter