• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC resale title company

ilovemykids1016

Mouseketeer
Hi,

I am currently purchasing a resale from Timeshare Store. In the past they used Magic Vacation Title for Title company. Now they are using First American Title company, so many fees. Does anyone know why they switched?

We are looking to buy soon and I'm just learning about all the extra fees. Are these in addition to your closing costs?

Hi,

I am currently purchasing a resale from Timeshare Store. In the past they used Magic Vacation Title for Title company. Now they are using First American Title company, so many fees. Does anyone know why they switched?
I have used both and much prefer Magic Title, First American messed up my closing papers and had to resend 3 times!

Same here. Demand that they use Magic Vacation Title. Never had any issues with them in the 3 times I used them. The only (AND LAST!) time we used First American Title they made mistakes and tacked on fees I never heard of. I will never use First American again and would advise anyone purchasing to request Magic Vacation Title. If they tell you they only use one company, look elsewhere for a resale broker.

Hi,

I don't know why they switched but legally in the state of Florida the buyer gets to choose the title company (unless the law has changed).
We recently had some experience with Magic Vacation Title (went to ROFR on a contract where the seller misrepresented the point status of his contract). The were great handling the refund of our escrow. They cut the check and mailed it the same day the broker notified them of the sale cancellation due to seller misrepresentation. We had our refund check in our hands 3 days later.

I wish I had known because we have First American Title (contract via fidelity). Extra fees are around $150 or so. It's just frustrating when they give you their quote then closing shows up with extras. But, this is my first rodeo with them. Plus, we were scheduled to close 7/20 and it's been crickets. I reached out 2 times now, they said we are waiting on sellers pw...just would've been nice to be notified since the paperwork I signed says 7/20. Not sure if it's Fidelity or First American who should've responded.

I've never used Magic Vacation Title. Our first was through a lawyers office and the second was through First American Title. I didn't have any significant problems with First American. The estimated closing costs were $729 (this was VGC, so California), but we actually got a $25 refund at the end. Our agent at First American returned emails very promptly (within a few hours usually), although they weren't as proactive about communication. For example, they didnt automatically tell me if they got my check. I had to ask. I did send an email to the generic First American email and got no response, so it's important to get the email of your actual officer (which they gave me right at the beginning).

TSS closing costs are more expensive than other resale companies.. Shop around people.

Yes. Buyer has right to choose title company. First American Title charged us extra fees of $185. We've also used Duncan Title and they have been VERY UNresponsive. Magic Vacation Title was pretty good.

Yes. Buyer has right to choose title company. First American Title charged us extra fees of $185. We've also used Duncan Title and they have been VERY UNresponsive. Magic Vacation Title was pretty good.

I actually had a pretty good experience with Duncan title. I accidently overpaid (forgot to subtract the $1000 deposit) and they notified me and refunded me the money pretty quickly. I also liked that they allow you the option to pay the full amount on credit card (you pay a convenience fee). I prefer doing that and getting the miles (plus there are some built in security features in case something goes wrong) rather than going to the bank and wiring the money.

I've never used Magic Vacation Title. Our first was through a lawyers office and the second was through First American Title. I didn't have any significant problems with First American. The estimated closing costs were $729 (this was VGC, so California), but we actually got a $25 refund at the end. Our agent at First American returned emails very promptly (within a few hours usually), although they weren't as proactive about communication. For example, they didnt automatically tell me if they got my check. I had to ask. I did send an email to the generic First American email and got no response, so it's important to get the email of your actual officer (which they gave me right at the beginning).
I'm having trouble finding a contact for First American Title. Would you mind sharing your contact with me?

I'm having trouble finding a contact for First American Title. Would you mind sharing your contact with me?

I just bought through the TTS and they used 1st American as well. I"m glad I looked at the documents they sent me as they were overcharging me about $1100. They had the wrong amount on the sale of the DVC. It was corrected quickly but it scared the heck of me when I got the bill.

First American messed up our refund of our deposit after our contracts were taken by ROFR. We ultimately did get the money back but it required a few emails to get it all straight.

Does anyone know if Magic Vacation Title charges a credit card processing fee? One of the agents at Fidelity told me that she thought they did. If not, it sounds like Magic Vacation is preferable.

My understanding is that the buyer, IF YOU ARE PAYING FOR TITLE, (ie u pay the "closing costs") has the right to designate any title closing company you choose.

Does anyone know if Magic Vacation Title charges a credit card processing fee? One of the agents at Fidelity told me that she thought they did. If not, it sounds like Magic Vacation is preferable.
Magic Vacation Title does a great job of discouraging paying with credit card for the deposit. They charge a nonrefundable $45 merchant fee to buyers for this privilege.

I was told by Jerry at TSS that they switched to First American because they were having delays from Magic Title. I have purchased all my resales through TSS and used Magic for all of my purchases. I have never had a problem with Magic Title. I specifically asked Jerry to switch to use Magic when they tried to use First American. I found First American to be higher cost that Magic for virtually same service.

I have recently closed on 2 contracts via 2 different brokers and title companies. (Fidelity/Duncan and DVCResalemarket/Magic Vacation Title) Generally speaking, I found the communication and the turn around time with Magic Vacation Title to be somewhat better than Duncan, while the cost is about the same. Given a choice with my next purchase, I will probably go with Magic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter