• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC resort stay with no park visit

twinsouvenirs

Mother of Dragons :)
I am sure this has been done before on a thread before, in which case links are appreciated, but we're thinking of skipping the parks for our 4 night trip over labor day weekend this year. Are there any resources for planning a park free WDW trip? We will likely do 2 nights at SSR and 2 at BWK. 2 Adults, 2 Infants. :grouphug:

It depends on what you are into:
sports: golf, fishing, RPDE, marathon, bowling, ESPN Club, WWS/ESPN Zone, etc
shopping: DTD, area outlet malls, large scale malls
drinking: Jellyrolls, Raglan Road, monorail tour of resorts, walking tour of resorts in the Boardwalk area
movies: DTD 24 screen theater some with meals served by waiters
night clubbing: Jellyrolls, Atlantic Dance, Raglan Road, Citywalk
resort tours: monorail tour of resorts, Boardwalk around the lake tour of resorts, AKL/AKV
offsite: Gaylord Palms Resort, Citywalk, swamp tour

Outside of WDW, at Gaylord Palms Resort; they have 3 acres under a glass roof. The area under the roof is divided into three areas Key West, Everglades, and St. Augustine/type fort. There are fish, snakes, gators, etc that you can view. You can spend 3 to 4 hours over there touring the resort/areas and it does not cost anything.

You can be as busy as you want or as relaxed as you would like too.

I am sure this has been done before on a thread before, in which case links are appreciated, but we're thinking of skipping the parks for our 4 night trip over labor day weekend this year. Are there any resources for planning a park free WDW trip? We will likely do 2 nights at SSR and 2 at BWK. 2 Adults, 2 Infants. :grouphug:

I'm also doing a no parks trip the week after Labor Day. I'm thinking of the TOTW lounge one evening, DTD (including a trip to Ghiardelli's), doing a little resort hopping. With the babies, I wonder if they'd be perfectly happy with the kiddie pool at their resort. We just spent the weekend with our DGD, who are babies, and they came over to the hotel and loved playing in the pool.

...offsite: Gaylord Palms Resort, Citywalk, swamp tour

Outside of WDW, at Gaylord Palms Resort; they have 3 acres under a glass roof. The area under the roof is divided into three areas Key West, Everglades, and St. Augustine/type fort. There are fish, snakes, gators, etc that you can view. You can spend 3 to 4 hours over there touring the resort/areas and it does not cost anything...

But they do nickle and dime you at the Gaylord. They charge a bunch just to park there.

During our stay at AKL-Kidani in June, we met a family from NJ who were not visiting any of the theme parks during their week stay. They spent the days at the pool or participating in the planned AKL activities. Each night they were going out for a nice dinner - some at a WDW report hotel, others off property. Honestly, I was so "parked out" by that time, hot, and tired of getting caught in the rain, that I really envied their vacation. We are seriously considering a future stay at AKL with a savannah view and no parks. Park ticket increases this past year have really started us to think differently about future trips.

;)The wife and I have done this quite a few times the last few years. In fact other than EPCOT 2 yrs ago we haven't been to a park. We take Disney transportation to the other Resorts. The boats from DTD to OKW for lunch at Olivia's, to the French Qtr. for benignes(sp sorry), to Animal Kingdom by bus to look at the Savanna. Walking tours of the Resorts around the Boardwalk area. If your not in a hurry to get anywhere its quite relaxing.::yes:: Enjoy the pools. Either at your resort or do the pool hopper thing. Not rushing make everything more enjoyable.. Have a great time::thumbsup2

This is when DVC feels more like home. You can relax and watch everyone else scurrying around to stay on schedule.

I'm looking forward to my solo long weekend trip...arriving BWV on Thursday...going to Villain Day on Friday at the studios with friends, then flying home late Sunday afternoon. Plan to hit the GF pool one last time before it closes when the DVC opens...and a nice dinner at artist point on Saturday before TotW for the fireworks. Looking forward to shopping at DTD and just reading either at the pool or on my balcony. First time staying at BWV...didn't expect my waitlist to come through...kinda disappointed as I had a reservation at A of A!

We typically try to stay at AKV after a cruise for a few days and have even gone for 3-4 days just to relax. We play cards or scrabble in the lobby or by the fire. It is so nice and relaxing. Sometimes we visit another resort, scavenge the shops, DTD of course. Most importantly we take our time, sleep in ( I know I know but we are up pretty late) enjoy animal watching.

We returned from 1 night @ BCV this weekend. We did DTD, lots of pools time (way too hot for the parks until the evening), Benihana for dinner, enjoyed the BW, fireworks @ TOTTW, community hall, and did the parks but for only 3 hours total. We would have been fine skipping the parks as there was plenty of other to do. Spent most of our time at the pools - mainly BC but hopped over to BW for a bit.

The main cab company in the Orlando area is Mears.
The CMs at the arrival/departure area in front of the check-in locations will be able to call one for you.

I actually keep a list of things we do. We usually stay ay AKV where there are lots of activities (many free including a wonderful culinary tour, and so many kids activities). We also enjoy heading to Ft Wilderness for a day or two of activities there.

Here is a list I reference (since I tend to forget):
Motor boat rentals (various resorts, but we usually go to WL)
Canoe rentals (Ft Wilderness)
Biking (Ft Wilderness, or WL and bike over to FW)
Segway tours (FW)
Campfire/Movie program (Ft Wilderness)
Nighttime programs at AKV (or other lodges)
Electrical water pageant (various locations)
Fireworks from BLT
Fishing (Ft Wilderness)
Carriage rides (Ft wilderness)
Wagon Rides (Ft Wilderness) Also, a “fireworks” wagon ride
Pirate Adventure (Grand Floridian is my kids favorite)
Tea Party (Grand Floridian)
Surrey Bike (WL or FW)
Horseback riding (FW)
Archery (FW)
Pony rides (FW)

You will be amazed at how relaxing and peaceful a WDW vacation can be when you take the park chaos out of the schedule! Enjoy!

marx said:
I actually keep a list of things we do. We usually stay ay AKV where there are lots of activities (many free including a wonderful culinary tour, and so many kids activities). We also enjoy heading to Ft Wilderness for a day or two of activities there.

Segway tours (FW)
Fireworks from BLT
Fishing (Ft Wilderness)
Carriage rides (Ft wilderness)
Surrey Bike (WL or FW)
Horseback riding (FW)
Archery (FW)
Pony rides (FW)

These are awesome ideas! We are hoping to do less parks, more activities on a future trip. Thanks for these tips.

My DH and I are planning the same kind of trip. Although in his case this has become standard for him. He stays at the resort while the kids and I run all over and he meets us for dinner. This time it will be just us and I will have to learn how to just chill.

Anyone done the spas?

Yes, and both are great. We did the GF Spa before the renovations and same with SSR spa. They used to have a DVC special at SSR spa for members. I had a massage, manicure, pedicure and facial for one price (not cheap by any means, but very nice). I had such a great time that I suggested my husband and son get the men's facial which they both loved (I was very surprised).

Segway tours (FW)
Fireworks from BLT
Fishing (Ft Wilderness)
Carriage rides (Ft wilderness):
Surrey Bike (WL or FW)
Horseback riding (FW)
Archery (FW)
Pony rides (FW)
great list

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter