DVC resorts - major remodeling?

DPCummerbund

DIS Veteran
My concern with the DVC resorts is that they don't appear to get remodeled / updated at the same rate as other Disney resorts. For example, if you look at photos of the current Boardwalk Inn or Beach Club, they look a whole lot newer/fresher than the Beach Club Villas or Boardwalk Villas.

I know the rooms do get updated - after a little research, it looks like OKW got a pretty major refurbishment in 2010, after being open 20 years or so.

Having just seen the models for the new VGF, I was very impressed. However, I can't help but wonder how they'll look in 20 years or so, when compared to the rest of the GF.

More specifically, I really liked staying at BCV several years ago, but those rooms look rather old compared to the villas. Since that resort was built in 2002, they're only 11 years old, and it may be another 10 years until they get remodeled.

The Boardwalk Villas also look rather old. However, since the Boardwalk Villas opened in 1996, it seems like they might be due for a major remodel sometime soon.

First of all, I'm curious as to who pays for this. I know DVC members pay for maintenance, but looking at the maintenance fees for OKW, I don't see any kind of "spike" around the remodeling time - is this already factored into the maintenance fees? And if so, how does Disney (or DVC Members) decide when/if remodeling is going to happen?

I know they redo the "soft" goods every few years due to wear and tear, but I'm thinking of the more major remodeling that would involve new furniture, flooring, cabinetry, etc.

My concern with the DVC resorts is that they don't appear to get remodeled / updated at the same rate as other Disney resorts. For example, if you look at photos of the current Boardwalk Inn or Beach Club, they look a whole lot newer/fresher than the Beach Club Villas or Boardwalk Villas.

I know the rooms do get updated - after a little research, it looks like OKW got a pretty major refurbishment in 2010, after being open 20 years or so.

Having just seen the models for the new VGF, I was very impressed. However, I can't help but wonder how they'll look in 20 years or so, when compared to the rest of the GF.

More specifically, I really liked staying at BCV several years ago, but those rooms look rather old compared to the villas. Since that resort was built in 2002, they're only 11 years old, and it may be another 10 years until they get remodeled.

The Boardwalk Villas also look rather old. However, since the Boardwalk Villas opened in 1996, it seems like they might be due for a major remodel sometime soon.

First of all, I'm curious as to who pays for this. I know DVC members pay for maintenance, but looking at the maintenance fees for OKW, I don't see any kind of "spike" around the remodeling time - is this already factored into the maintenance fees? And if so, how does Disney (or DVC Members) decide when/if remodeling is going to happen?

I know they redo the "soft" goods every few years due to wear and tear, but I'm thinking of the more major remodeling that would involve new furniture, flooring, cabinetry, etc.

BWV did get a remodel in 2009, but both BWV and BCV are themed for a shabby-chic kind of look. BWV is themed to look like 1920s Atlantic City Boardwalk, while Beach Club is themed to look like a cottage on the beach.

Owners at those DVC resorts pay for refurbs, so you are correct when you assume that DVC resorts aren't refreshed as often as its Disney counterparts. Otherwise, the MFs would be through the roof.

No, the DVC villa rooms / wings do not tend to get renovated as often as the cash hotel rooms. That's one of the realities we have to come to grips with as timeshare owners.

Monies for renovations are collected over an extended period of time and placed in a capital reserves fund. There is usually no spike in dues when projects occur because the funds are waiting in that reserve account.

DVC resorts have "soft goods" refurbishments and "hard goods" refurbs. Soft goods consist of linens, draperies, carpet, etc. Hard goods includes some furniture, fixtures and appliances as needed.

Beyond that, the capital reserve fund detail suggests a major room renovation after 24-25 years. Unfortunately no resort has reached that point yet, so we don't really know how extensive it will be.

My BoardWalk budget for 2013 indicates that the room interiors have between 1-8 years of life remaining. That's consistent with the 1996 opening and approximate lifespan of 24 years. Major renovation would occur around 2020.

According to the budget, the estimated replacement costs for that project are $29 million and as of 12/31/12 about $25.9 million had been collected and set-aside for the refurb.

as the dread pirate roberts once said: "get used to disappointment!"

:)

Beyond that, the capital reserve fund detail suggests a major room renovation after 24-25 years. Unfortunately no resort has reached that point yet, so we don't really know how extensive it will be.

What about OKW? Do you think the refurb a couple of years ago pretty much all we can expect even for a major room renovation (not much done to kitchens or baths)? Or do you think there's another refurb in the near future for OKW which would address those areas as well as what they did last time?

BWV did get a remodel in 2009, but both BWV and BCV are themed for a shabby-chic kind of look. BWV is themed to look like 1920s Atlantic City Boardwalk, while Beach Club is themed to look like a cottage on the beach.

Thank you all for your prompt replies. From what you all have posted, it sounds like the maintenance / refurbishments are all decided by Disney, correct? I know that there's an annual DVC meeting, but it sounds like that's more for a "state-of-the-program" information on Disney's part than any kind of vote or maintenance allocation.

For example, the people who own at one resort can't decide to speed up or slow down maintenance / refurbishment, correct? I can imagine a scenario where the owners of one resort complained to raise their maintenance fees & refurbish their resort, while another was willing to forgo maintenance & keep their fees low.

As for the Boardwalk & Beach Club villas - I'm not talking about the theme as much as the age & design of the rooms themselves. Pastels & bright colors were very big when those hotels were designed. Everything nowadays is darker & more sophisticated - the regular rooms at the Boardwalk Inn & the Beach Club reflect that. Secondly, they still have old furniture designed for bulky old TVs, instead of new furniture designed for flat screens on the wall (like the Murphy beds at VGF), modern tiles & wood floors, or even TVs in the mirrors.

What about OKW? Do you think the refurb a couple of years ago pretty much all we can expect even for a major room renovation (not much done to kitchens or baths)? Or do you think there's another refurb in the near future for OKW which would address those areas as well as what they did last time?

I just dug-up a copy of OKW and it looks like that was the major one. 2013 budget shows only $606,000 left in the reserves for "Interior Refurbishment." Replacement cost is listed as $36 million.

Thank you all for your prompt replies. From what you all have posted, it sounds like the maintenance / refurbishments are all decided by Disney, correct?

Correct.

I know that there's an annual DVC meeting, but it sounds like that's more for a "state-of-the-program" information on Disney's part than any kind of vote or maintenance allocation.

Correct. When we buy into DVC, we sign away all voting rights to a Board of Directors which is staffed by Disney executives. I can't think of a single aspect of the program which is run in a democratic fashion.

Members can share feedback with DVC but ultimately it's in their hands to act (or not.)

Old Key West still has the old cabinets designed for tube TVs. And really that's an integral part of the villa design since it doubles as a kitchen island.

Looks like the refurb account was pretty much drained to fix-up OKW a couple years ago and there wasn't any money left to replace the TV armoire. They could always increase collections and look at making that change in a future year, but owners would end up paying. In the grand scheme of things, I suspect it's an expensive change with only modest cosmetic benefits.

I stayed at Beach Club in June (Not the villas) and the room looked pastel and out of date. My DD thought it looked old. I wasn't impressed that it looked a whole lot better than the villas. We actually saw two rooms because we hated the location of the first room and they moved us. I hear the complaints that the villas are not as nice as the hotel rooms in the same resort and I have not experience that at all.

I stayed at Beach Club in June (Not the villas) and the room looked pastel and out of date. My DD thought it looked old. I wasn't impressed that it looked a whole lot better than the villas. We actually saw two rooms because we hated the location of the first room and they moved us. I hear the complaints that the villas are not as nice as the hotel rooms in the same resort and I have not experience that at all.

I'm sure part of this is the state of any particular room, and personal taste. In my opinion, the newer rooms are generally darker & more muted in color, have more woodwork that's generally dark and stained rather than painted, and have larger tiles in the kitchen & bath that are usually marble or granite in look, rather than ceramic.

For example, here is (AFAIK) a newer room in the Beach Club:

disneybeachclubroom.jpg

This, I believe, is an older Beach Club room:

disney-beachclub-room.jpg

Personally, I much prefer the newer interior. To me, it looks more more luxurious and sophisticated than the zany, colorful old ones, but I'm sure some people think just the opposite.

I guess what I'm realizing is that while the Resort rooms are going to change with the times, the Villa rooms are basically going to look "as is", with one possible refurbishment somewhere in the middle of your 40-year contract.

So, as a non-DVC owner, before buying in, I should make sure I'm happy with how my particular home resort looks (assuming I'm planning on staying there most often), and I shouldn't plan on Disney making changes somewhere along the line. If I love the new dual showers in the VGF, I shouldn't get my hopes up that a remodel will bring that to BCV.

Or, as chalee94 said, I should get used to disappointment. :)

The last I heard, BCV is slated to undergo a refurbishment in the near future. 2014 I think. As a BCV owner this is welcome news.

They have announced that all of DVC is going to go to the 3 sheet bedding arrangement as depicted in the BC picture. Not sure when they will be implementing that change. The new bedding will make the decor seem fresh and less dated.

Usually refurbs consist of soft goods. Drapes, carpet, upholstery, bedding, mattresses. I would love it if they could redo the tile and showers, kitchen cabinets, appliances, etc but that could mess with theming and involve major construction. BCV in particular is always full and it would be extremely difficult to shut down whole sections of the resort to do this kind of work.

When you get your dues budget in November, it will show the reserves calculation. They assign a "life" to each item, like the roof should last 10 years and how many years are left and the dollar balance. Same with interior refurbishment, exterior refurbishment, etc. Then a dues amount for the next year is shown.

Well since they billed that last one as a "90% redo" and they didn't bother to do the cabinets or bath fixtures (still trying to figure how it was 90%), I'd say it's slim that we would be getting anything more at OKW in the near future.

Well since they billed that last one as a "90% redo" and they didn't bother to do the cabinets or bath fixtures (still trying to figure how it was 90%), I'd say it's slim that we would be getting anything more at OKW in the near future.

I agree. Seems like that will be the only refurb in my lifetime at OKW given the 20 years from opening until they did it time frame.

Which is good and bad. Good, in that the refurb really changed the feel of the rooms. And really, all they seemed to do was repaint the wooden furniture and take out the carpets.

When we bought and for many years after, they had the light furniture, the pastel color plates and napkins (which I know were not part of the refurb but disappeared before that). Now the furniture is dark, really dark and doesn't seem to fit as well with the outside of the buildings. And those fake wood floors - weren't the rooms noisy enough already with the carpets?

So I shudder to think what they might change the next time in order to "improve" things even more.

The bad is obvious - how many more decades can that furniture hold up, esp now that it's stained dark and will probably show scratches and such a lot more easily than when it was lighter? And the bathrooms ARE getting a little grungy.

While the rooms may not be refurbished as often, I've never had a room issue in regards to being run down (not saying others haven't). Last yr when we were at BCV carpets were dirty in hallways but around the third day there they were being cleaned. 2013 Easter at BLT and BWV's rooms and facilities met are expectations

While we do pay a premium price as DVC owners compared to other "timeshares", I think that DVC outshines others by leaps and bounds based on my experiences. While far from perfect the overall minor imperfections are okay with me when I compare it to the cost to stay in a hotel room on property. My stay for Xmas week at Boardwalk would cost $671 per night at the Boardwalk Inn If that is in your budget for 7 to 10 days annual and you want to a fresher room, that would be the way to go.

While the rooms may not be refurbished as often, I've never had a room issue in regards to being run down...

agreed.

but in 20 years, i expect there will be a noticeable difference in the updated-ness (in terms of modern amenities for a 2033 deluxe hotel) of the GF and VGF.

the VGF will likely lack the holographic projectors in the bathrooms leaving DVC owners frustrated with lame 2D for digitized stacy's "must do's".

Heck, Diane, did they even do anything at all in the OKW bathrooms? The same old stains are still in the grout between the tiles. I'm glad I love OKW. Makes me feel like home. ;)

After our BWV Thanksgiving stay this past week, we are considering selling our DVC points over the upkeep/refurb issue. Sorry, but our unit was absolutely dumpy and gross. There is zero excuse for grout so filthy that I can't tell what color it is supposed to be.

We own a lot of timeshares bought off the resale market for cheap. We use them for trading. I've traded into TONS of timeshares including older ones and I've never seen any other timeshare chain that does not renovate when clearly necessary. Even the older Marriotts always look great...maintained/refurb'd, kept up well. I don't buy that DVC should last 25 years between full refurbs! They clearly don't let the hotels go for that long. Anyways, I think our days as owners are numbered. It is easy to get as an RCI trade anyways, although I think I'll still try to talk DH into Bonnet Creek over DVC due to maintenance issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter