DVC Retirement Updates

Fly! I can’t stand being in the car for 90 minutes to drive to Rochester to see my grandkids..I couldn’t make it 22 hours!! Lol

It’s about $350 as an average right now but so worth it. I usually travel solo or with friends..who cover their own costs.

But, even when DH joins, it’s still just two of us..so not bad at all!!
Gotcha. Yeah one ticket wouldn't be too bad, and it's a short enough flight I could stand to fly economy lol. Heck we are only 8-9 hours drive from Orlando and DW would still rather fly every time. :rolleyes:

We fly about half the time, when we can get a decent fare, and drive the rest.

Do you fly and rent a car each time?
Fly! I can’t stand being in the car for 90 minutes to drive to Rochester to see my grandkids..I couldn’t make it 22 hours!! Lol

It’s about $350 as an average right now but so worth it. I usually travel solo or with friends..who cover their own costs.

But, even when DH joins, it’s still just two of us..so not bad at all!!
We made 7 trips to FL last year. Some were just me, some me and DH, or DD and bf, only 1 trip with the whole fam.

From Chicago, I don't think we paid more than $250 r/t for any individual and most were under $200. We also had credit card rewards to cover nearly all (if not all) of them. But my rapid rewards account is looking pretty bleak this year. lol

From Jan - April (the bulk of the trips) we had one of our cars parked at an offsite airport parking facility at a cost of around $150/mo. The other trips we used Mears for $16/pp each way I think. The airport parking deal was better than a SUV rental though I worried every time I went to pick my car up if it was still going to be there and with all 4 tires, etc... Mears was cheaper, but service was pretty bad.

We made 7 trips to FL last year. Some were just me, some me and DH, or DD and bf, only 1 trip with the whole fam.

From Chicago, I don't think we paid more than $250 r/t for any individual and most were under $200. We also had credit card rewards to cover nearly all (if not all) of them. But my rapid rewards account is looking pretty bleak this year. lol

From Jan - April (the bulk of the trips) we had one of our cars parked at an offsite airport parking facility at a cost of around $150/mo. The other trips we used Mears for $16/pp each way I think. The airport parking deal was better than a SUV rental though I worried every time I went to pick my car up if it was still going to be there and with all 4 tires, etc... Mears was cheaper, but service was pretty bad.

Syracuse never has good flight deals…if I get close or under $300 I am excited…just planned a random two night trip in June with a friend and we got lucky..$244 round trip, direct, Jet blue!

I have Wyndham time share also, with that and the measly 160 points at BLT, maybe a month depending on the season. A friend of mine bought Wyndham points on resale market in mid late 90s has over 1.5 million points. They have gone away from June-Sept stayed at all Wyndham resorts in throughout Florida.
I definitely am going to check out some of the other timeshare companies too.

That is definitely part of my plan. I am 63 and plan on working until 65 when I can get Medicare. I have amassed 733 points at a number of different resorts and while I am currently renting some of them out, I will definitely use them to stay for weeks at a time once I retire. Currently I go for two 10 day trips per year and add on an occasional shorter 5 day trip. Started out staying in studios and now stay mostly in one bedrooms, but still use some of the nicer studios like Riviera.

In addition to DVC, I also own a lot of points at Wyndham, several weeks at HGVC, several weeks at HICV and some RCI points as well. All told, I can probably spend half the year in Orlando if I choose. I live in PA, so that might not be a bad thing.
What's your favorite timeshare?

Syracuse never has good flight deals…if I get close or under $300 I am excited…just planned a random two night trip in June with a friend and we got lucky..$244 round trip, direct, Jet blue!
Yes here in Vancouver, Hawaii is much easier to get to than Orlando. Many, many direct flights as opposed to one a week to Orlando and there can be some pretty good deals.

What's your favorite timeshare?
I would say DVC with HGVC a close second. I do have the most points with Wyndham, but I use them primarily for work. I work in Washington D.C. and Wyndham has nearby properties in Alexandria, VA and National Harbor, MD. I use these with my points rather than paying rent. I usually stay 4 nights per week and either go home to PA on weekends or stay in a hotel in the area, often using my many hotel points. I use my HGVC points for this as well as they have a property in the Georgetown D.C. district.

Also have 6 weeks of non-DVC timeshare on the beach at Vero Beach(Reef Ocean Resort), specific deeds for the last 2 weeks of Feb and 4 weeks in March each
Qu
We are local to the area. We frequent (one of our favorite) restaurants right downstairs from Reef Ocean.
Bobby’s is great.

We are there several times a month.
See you there.

ETA: You snow birds make it difficult for us!!

Last edited:
I would say DVC with HGVC a close second. I do have the most points with Wyndham, but I use them primarily for work. I work in Washington D.C. and Wyndham has nearby properties in Alexandria, VA and National Harbor, MD. I use these with my points rather than paying rent. I usually stay 4 nights per week and either go home to PA on weekends or stay in a hotel in the area, often using my many hotel points. I use my HGVC points for this as well as they have a property in the Georgetown D.C. district.
National Harbor is great staying there in May.

I have stayed at Hilton Club - The District and it is very nice (and free breakfast!). Had points in holding during the pandemic, moved them to RCI and booked a stay there.

We are also in Vancouver, and this is our plan. Our kids are still pretty young (10, 12 and 14), but we are 50 and plan to retire at 60. We have 1030 points spread across Aulani (510), OKW (310) and AKL (210). Right now we manage to use them up with 3-4 trips a year to Hawaii or Florida with the kids in 1 or 2 bedrooms, but have to travel during school vacations (high season) when the Point cost is through the roof. Looking forward to spreading them out across 1 bedrooms and studios during low season when it’s just me and DH!

I would love to hear from people who use DVC as a part of their retirement plans and do an extended stay every year. As a Canadian living in Vancouver I am finding the winters to be colder and colder as I grow older and I think I like the idea of doing a couple months either in Aulani or Disney World every year.
I've been using DVC as a retirement vehicle since 2021. we spent 6 weeks at WDW in 2021, 7 weeks in 2022 and 2023, and we have 8.5 weeks booked for 2024.
Our other retirement destination, before pricing it out, was Vancouver BC ! :) We love visiting Vancouver and Victoria, but it was beyond our $Reach - so we snowbird at WDW instead! i unerstand why Aulani would be more attractive to you, from BC, and I wish you good luck and a healthy, long retirement!!

DW and I retired in 2015 both age 57. Here was/is our plan.

2010 - Purchased BLT 150 pts Direct.
2011 - Purchased 4 DVC AP Vouchers and 2 - 10 day NE+ Tics (wish I bought more).
2015 - Retired from Illinois to Georgia (now only a 6 hr drive to WDW)
2021 - Purchased BWV 100 pts Direct. (This was a Plan revision and we love it!)
2022 - Activated our LAST DVC AP Voucher. Still have 3 NE+ Tics left for both of us.

Since 2010: 157 nights using DVC: (yeah, I'm a spreadsheet nerd!)
Room average $191/nt [Buy-in + MFs] Studios, 1 BR's and 2 BR's
IF OOP at Comparable Rack/Discounted Rates:, THEN it would be $552/nt. YMMV.
Ave Day Costs: $245 [APs/Tickets, Food, Gifts, Transportation, Extra items, Pet Care, etc.]

So far the plan has worked out well, even with the Covid disruption. We are in a WDW vacationing cycle now of 18 - 24 nights a year in Jan, May and Sept and plan on renewing our AP's moving forward. The long-term cost savings on lodging is really adding up and we are so thankful that we can afford to enjoy our happy place as much as we do.

We'll use BWV only at BWV until we or the contract expires (we'll be 84 then).
BLT may get sold once we are in our 80's to cover future burial expenses. Good plan!

I've been using DVC as a retirement vehicle since 2021. we spent 6 weeks at WDW in 2021, 7 weeks in 2022 and 2023, and we have 8.5 weeks booked for 2024.
Our other retirement destination, before pricing it out, was Vancouver BC ! :) We love visiting Vancouver and Victoria, but it was beyond our $Reach - so we snowbird at WDW instead! i unerstand why Aulani would be more attractive to you, from BC, and I wish you good luck and a healthy, long retirement!!
Do you bounce around to different resorts and stay in different room types?

We are also in Vancouver, and this is our plan. Our kids are still pretty young (10, 12 and 14), but we are 50 and plan to retire at 60. We have 1030 points spread across Aulani (510), OKW (310) and AKL (210). Right now we manage to use them up with 3-4 trips a year to Hawaii or Florida with the kids in 1 or 2 bedrooms, but have to travel during school vacations (high season) when the Point cost is through the roof. Looking forward to spreading them out across 1 bedrooms and studios during low season when it’s just me and DH!
It's funny because I am looking at those three resorts too right now. I am looking for a good resale deal on 300-400 point contract. While I worry about Aulani dues having the priority would be nice. And yes I echo your sentiment about traveling during peak times as I have school age kids and my partner is also a teacher.

We are heading into the territory where are kids are beginning to take control of the points...I am sure we will do a couple of resort only OKW trips a year but our goal always was for the kids to take it over

I definitely am going to check out some of the other timeshare companies too.
If you are on the West Coast, WorldMark is a great one to have (bought resale, of course). They have a lot of drivable locations in the west and good trading power for other resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter