DVC room capacity

Johnnie Fedora

My cup is not 1/2 full or 1/2 empty, it's just 50%
Are there restrictions on the number of children in a one bedroom or studio DVC property. We don't own yet (waiting for the BCV) but don't want to be forced into a two bedroom if we have another child (which would be #3). I know this is a big problem on other Disney vacations (like the cruise). If you have five in a room, you are forced into the expensive catagories making your vacation cost prohibative. I would hate to buy into the DVC and then be forced into a more expensive room catagory due to a new addition. Also, can you get a roll-away bed or use your own air bed.

Thanks..........Johnnie

hi: the stated occupancy limit for a one bedroom unit is 4 plus a child in a crib. they have the portable kind of cribs in the one br units. as the kids get older, you will need to move to a 2br unit. dvc doesn't really enforce the room "limits".

All DVC Studios and 1BR's sleep 4- plus a child under 3 years old. There is a pack-n-play crib provided in each room. There are a few "Studio Plus" rooms at BWV, which do have a small daybed for a child in addition to the bed and sleep sofa.

The resorts will NOT provide any additional beds or linens, but many have reported taking an air mattress.

There have been many discussions about room occupancy here at DIS. You can check out the Debate Board for more information on the subject.

As your children get older you will likely need a 2-bed with three children. I would consider whether the price is worth the number of points you will need. Keep in mind that once the children are grown you will need even more points as they will still want to stay with you along with there children.

Actually just do not tell them your going and make up for all the extra points you used when they were children by staying in a studio.

Tigger

I posted this yesterday on the DIS debate board and am even more worried now than before:
"This whole discussion has really got me worried now.
The 1 bedroom DVC villas say they accomodate 4 people but when we went on our DVC tour last Dec. our guide (Ken Bradshaw) said we could have 5 people in the room.
Before we bought our resale just a few weeks ago, I called Ken and made sure this was still true. He said yes but no bedding is supplied for the fifth person.
Now, I just want to be sure - have other DVC members been told they can put 5 people in the 1 bedroom villas?"
Some of the replies I got are really scary! Here is the link: http://www.disboards.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=450260#post450260
I don't know what to think?!! Any comments from DVC members would be appreciated. Thank you!

I think the answer is pretty clear. You need to buy enough point to accomodate your family.

You certainly can't plan to always be over the limit. You will be signing papers that specifically spell out the room limits. If you buy a resales, you will be assuming the contract that the original buyer bought.

If a sales rep told you limts don't matter, ask him nicely to put that in writing on DVC letter head.

This issue has been discussed on this board previously and the discussion has gotten rather heated. Some of the folks expressing to be such sticklers on this subject are also sticklers and negative on many other subjects, and if you are new and not familiar with thier ongoing "theme" you may give them more credibility than is probably due. This discussion has had over 40 posts when previously discussed.

I think you stated very well in your original post how having one more child may force you in to a two bedroom that you really do not need. A one bedroom may accomodate your family just fine. I agree with that position. Three kids in one room and the parents in another is a very comfortable vacation situation for us.

Growing up, as kids, we always just had sleeping bags on the floor and really liked it. I certainly dont' have any problem with 5 people in a one bedroom, and Disney guides have expressed that an extra person is OK. They just won't be providing bedding and towels to cover for them. I think that's fine, we can bring our own towels, etc.

The discussion has gone all over the place, including wear on the rooms, resort capacity, etc. but there are local people not staying at the resorts crashing the pools that aren't really being delt with, and all kinds of issues that could be delt with prior to restricting families that may decide to have a third child.

Talk to several guides. You'll find that 5 to a room is OK. Also, BWV does have studios with an extra day bed that are rated at 5 capacity.

We were told that 5 were allowed in a studio or 1-bedroom as well, though the contract appears to limit occupancy to 4. Forget what you read here or on the Debate Board. Make the decision that is best for your family. Disney will not cancel your reservation if you have 5 people. Some people drive at 55 in a 55mph zone, others at 65. Use your best judgment, if you get my drift.

I guess I'm one of those "sticklers". The contract that everyone signs( a legal agreement) has very clear ocuppancy limits. Have any of the guides signed their name to a document saying that it is ok for the buyer to ignore that part of the contract ? What example does it set to sign the contract never intending to abide by it ? When we bought in 1992, our guide said that we might be able to get away with 5 in a 1 bdrm while the children were small ,but that we should realize that as they got older ( and larger) we would need the 2 bdrm. So, even though we would have liked to spend less money,we bought the points we knew we would need .
I know that there are always going to be people trying to beat the system and everyone needs to listen to their own conscience but I guess that I am just anal enough to feel that my signature on a legal document should stand for something, not be a sham.

Debby, there will always be people who speed, cheat on their taxes, and cut corners around signed contracts. If such actions are criminal, they risk prosecution. When it comes to DVC,we're not exactly talking about a capital offense. I try to make the best moral judgments possible for my family and not worry if others are stretching limits. Frankly, at WDW, I'm less concerned about occupancy than noise from the adjacent villa. 2 or 3 rowdy adults can be more obnoxious than a family of 5 with 3 children.

As there will always be sticklers, there will always be people that feel that rules and contracts are meaningless.

Moreover, I think that the new policy of not guaranteeing a "studio plus" at BWV may be a move towards getting back to apropriate room limts. Besides that manager that I spoke with that said that they have in the past and will continue to ask people to secure aporpriate sized accomodations or be asked to leave.

I posted the name and title of that manager after I spoke with her.

I did not speak with a manager, but I did talk with a DVC sales rep. in the lobby of VWL during our last stay. He said that Disney was aware that some families with small children place 5 in a room for occupancy of 4. However, he also stated that it was Disney policy to never deny accomodations to such families upon arrival. He also said that Disney was aware that DVC members transfer points to each other for cash, in express defiance of the purchase contract.

I suppose that salespeople say one thing, the contracts say another, and managers throw their hands up saying, "We're not paid to be enforcers or police".

I say live and let live. My neighbor registers his car in another state (where he has a summer home) to obtain lower auto insurance rates. Should I drop a dime on him? I don't think so!!!!!!!!!

When we bought in 1992, our guide said that we might be able to get away with 5 in a 1 bdrm while the children were small ,but that we should realize that as they got older ( and larger) we would need the 2 bdrm.

By the rules, once the 3rd child is over 3 years old you should be using a 2 bedroom or 2 studios. DVC may or may not be allowing this rule to bend. However, I do not look forward to a day when the parents and their 13, 15, 17 year old and their "one extra friend who really, really wanted to come" are also staying in one bedrooms. One family having 5 in the room when the kids are all under 9 is different than 50% or more of the families having teenagers in the rooms. Anyone with small children who goes by what the guides are telling them should keep in mind that additional points and/or fewer trips that use banking and borrowing to get larger rooms will be necessary eventually.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter