DVC Snobs

ASAMOF you can't be generous for most things if you don't have money to start with.

Most millionaires (worth a million dollars), are first generation money which means they earned and saved. And most you'd never know based on their autos, home, clothes, etc.
“The Millionaire Next Door” is a fabulous read.

In 1900, first gen (self-made) millionaires: 80%

In 2000: 80%

Or as the Chinese say, “Wealth doesn’t survive the 3rd generation.”

First gen millionaires know the value of the hard work making it, so they’re frugal with it. Their kids might not have done the hard work, but at least have the first-hand example of frugality. The grandkids have neither.

In reality, one of America’s (The West to a large degree) greatest successes is that class is very fluid. Families move back and forth over generations very easily.

I make more, as an RN supervisor, than my cop Dad and secretary Mom did combined in the ‘70’s and ‘80’s (and close even when adjusted for inflation).

Last edited:
I like this model to look at a definition of middle class, http://money.cnn.com/infographic/economy/what-is-middle-class-anyway/index.html . If you use the asset model as the test, often even DVC members aren’t middle class as they often owe more than they own. IMO every middle class family has the opportunity to afford DVC but they may make choices that make it not feasible or they may just buy it anyway as we sometimes see here. I'd guess that most DVC owners are technically middle class.

Thank you for the link - really interesting perspective on wealth. The tool was fascinating.

Almost every point I own was financed by my DECIDEDLY middle-class job as a Union AT&T customer service agent... (I am now a RN)

Someone posted that if you want something enough you find the money for it, of course, this is only true to a point, but
for us it was worth it.

Jennifer

Amen

“The Millionaire Next Door” is a fabulous read.

In 1900, first gen (self-made) millionaires: 80%

In 2000: 80%

Or as the Chinese say, “Wealth doesn’t survive the 3rd generation.”

First gen millionaires know the value of the hard work making it, so they’re frugal with it. Their kids might not have done the hard work, but at least have the first-hand example of frugality. The grandkids have neither.

In reality, one of America’s (The West to a large degree) greatest successes is that class is very fluid. Families move back and forth over generations very easily.

I make more, as an RN supervisor, than my cop Dad and secretary Mom did combined in the ‘70’s and ‘80’s (and close even when adjusted for inflation).
It is a good read and just as applicable today IMO. The last numbers I saw on first generation millionaires was 78%, almost exactly the same % as that live month to month.

As a former road warrior, taking shoes off on the plane is a MUST.

As someone whose feet swell on long flights, when I take them off it’s so uncomfortable to put them back on. :( Plus I can’t touch the floor with my whole foot if I don’t have shoes.

Definitely not a must for me!

In my neck of the woods, with that income level you would barely afford a house

Well sure. That’s why there’s no such thing as “being middle class in America”. It’s all area-specific. I just used the tool from Dean’s link, and in my county the range is high 38k to 115k. That’s a giant range.

My stepmom, as a fairly new NICU nurse, was able to buy a big home in Santa Cruz CA. Now she’s a charge nurse in the same NICU. I don’t even want to know what she’s making now. (Dominican hospital, if any nurses want to know lol)

Some nurses make a decent amount, that’s for sure!!!

Definitely not a must for me!

Me neither! It makes little sense to me to do so unless you also take them off in a restaurant when you eat, at every movie you go to, at any sporting event etc. I have no idea what makes a plane an ok public place to remove your shoes with the exception of a long over seas flight. Even on those I've done it exactly once and only for a very short time and I'm a person who spends most of my time at home in socks or barefoot. Not on a plane though.

View attachment 290504
Just to keep things honest, I AM wearing my Orlando cap I bought at Walmart right near my DVC 2nd home.

Ugh. There goes the neighborhood. I'm telling you Walmart is not what it used to be. They'll just let anyone shop here these days. It's time for me to consider shopping at other luxury department stores like Target. :duck:

Ugh. There goes the neighborhood. I'm telling you Walmart is not what it used to be. They'll just let anyone shop here these days. It's time for me to consider shopping at other luxury department stores like Target. :duck:

Also consider:
Dunkin Donuts vs Starbucks
Mac vs PC
Android vs iOS
Target vs WalMart
DVC vs All Stars
Crigistlist vs Amazon

My stepmom, as a fairly new NICU nurse, was able to buy a big home in Santa Cruz CA. Now she’s a charge nurse in the same NICU. I don’t even want to know what she’s making now. (Dominican hospital, if any nurses want to know lol)

Some nurses make a decent amount, that’s for sure!!!

Boy, this just peaked me curiosity! I've been a NICU nurse for 15.5 years and I make fairly decent money by working extra/overtime, but my base pay isn't all that great. My hospital thinks we should consider it a privilege to work there, so they don't treat us very well :sad2:

While this is extreme and it shouldn't be about who you are/where you come from, but there are some realities to some of the things you posted. DVC isn't what it used to be though for other reasons than you referenced and I do think reducing the minimum purchases plus SSR has hurt the system in some ways. And in reality it does take a certain amount of finances to own with DVC or to vacation at WDW in general. As a group people seem to feel entitled and as a group DVC members seem to feel more entitled than the general population. Have you ever witnessed a meltdown at the front desk or similar involving the words "I paid X amount of $$$ and I deserve"? Whether it's room stuffing, lying about guests to avoid the dining plan charges, sneaking people into the pools or just crashing the pools because they are members (DVC doesn't have day use); DVC members scan be less than appealing.
I don't understand, how did SSR hurt the system? I think it is a very beautiful resort. I don't think there is a bad view from any of the rooms. Am I missing something here?

I don't understand, how did SSR hurt the system? I think it is a very beautiful resort. I don't think there is a bad view from any of the rooms. Am I missing something here?
There are 2 sides to SSR. Yes it's a nice resort, most of my stays are there because most of my stays are exchanges and I never regret when I stay there. But the reality is that the demand for SSR compared to the other on property resorts is lower, significantly lower. Thus you've got a boatload of points active and searching at the 7 month window, likely more than the other DVC resorts combined in total or close to it. OKW is less because the costs overall are less. HH & VB have historically been even lower demand but they were already in the system so SSR was additive. I'm not complaining and actually, based on the fact most of my stays are exchanges, it actually helps me, but it is the reality and unless they can make drastic changes to increase demand dramatically, this won't change. Certainly Disney Springs and the booking categories won't make much difference.

My guess is that because it’s the largest DVC resort & took a long time to finally finish sales. Reducing the point size minimums of initial contracts coupled with so many points sold @ SSR substantially increased the number of owners & points and likely increased competition for non SSR resorts at 7 months because many people chose SSR planning to stay elsewhere by switching at 7 months. However, I believe Dean owns other time shares and his perspective is through a broader lens than some one like me who’s only timeshare is DVC so he may mean something entirely different.
Oops, looks like Dean was responding while I was typing - I am the world’s slowest hunt and peck typist.

Seriously, owning DVC points is not the end all epitome of success or personal wealth. Considering Disney resorts while lovely, and nostalgic, do not hold a candle to many non-Disney accommodations in the same price range. Plus, why do we own DVC? To SAVE money over the long haul.

I see a lot of DVC people buying it on the tick, and asking in Facebook pages how they can pay their dues monthly, as they can’t afford to pay in one go. These are not wealthy people in many, many cases.
Also from the links Dean put up, Upper class seems to mean something quite different here in the U.K. to US. Over here you can be on 200k a year and certainly middle class. Upper class only really exists (in their mind at least ) for those with ‘old money’.

Example...... You buy SSR and try to book Poly or VGF at 8am of the 7 month window instead of buying at Poly or VGF.

SSR is huge over 1,000 rooms and is by far the largest resort. They have more rooms than The Grand Floridian, Bay Lake Tower and The Poly combined. So when they built this resort it added a lot of people to DVC. Some people want to be in an elite club.

SSR is huge over 1,000 rooms and is by far the largest resort. They have more rooms than The Grand Floridian, Bay Lake Tower and The Poly combined. So when they built this resort it added a lot of people to DVC. Some people want to be in an elite club.
Ok, gotcha there. I just could never relate. I wish everyone could experience the joy that Disney brings me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter