• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC to RCI conversion? (Not the usual "this is a bad idea" situation for many of us now.)

JohnGypsy

Needs giraffe at window every morning.
So, in general, we all pretty much agree that converting points from DVC to RCI is a bad idea. It generally doesn't make financial sense. The normal response is "Just rent your points instead and use that money to buy what you want somewhere else" or "use your points to reserve a stay and sell that to someone."

But, all of that depends on one important thing: DVC resorts being OPEN. :)

Right now, I could see a lot of people being in a situation where they have missed their banking window and now their stay is not going to be possible due to the resort being closed. And probably without the ability to quickly book something else (say, at one of the two open resorts currently still out there) that they can sell to someone else. And probably little chance of selling those points to anyone last-minute since those people can't get any reservation in time either.

(As an example, with a June Use Year and a May reservation at SSR right now using 2019 points (not banked or borrowed or anything -- just normal 2019 points that expire at the end of May) -- if all of the Florida DVC resorts are closed for all of May, then it looks like that person is about to be out of luck unless Disney goes against what they've just said in the latest letter.)

So, for people in that situation... Maybe a last-minute trade into RCI makes sense for once? I mean, if I'm about to lose 50+ points anyhow, maybe paying the $95 and dumping them into RCI makes sense?

I guess I'm just looking for thoughts on this before I pursuit it further. If, hypothetically, Disney resorts remain closed through the month of May -- and my reservation is in May -- and those points expire at the end of May... Then does grabbing a few nights through RCI seem to make sense finally? Or do you recommend something else? (Again, this is all assuming that it happens and I call DVC and they stick to the letter of the law and decide that no one can get an exception to bank their 2019 points to 2020 after the already-passed deadline. I would try that first, of course, but assuming it doesn't work, I'm looking for my backup plan.)

Read up on RCI before you transfer those points into RCI. 50+ points might not get you anything at all unless you add more points to it.

So, in general, we all pretty much agree that converting points from DVC to RCI is a bad idea. It generally doesn't make financial sense. The normal response is "Just rent your points instead and use that money to buy what you want somewhere else" or "use your points to reserve a stay and sell that to someone."

But, all of that depends on one important thing: DVC resorts being OPEN. :)

Right now, I could see a lot of people being in a situation where they have missed their banking window and now their stay is not going to be possible due to the resort being closed. And probably without the ability to quickly book something else (say, at one of the two open resorts currently still out there) that they can sell to someone else. And probably little chance of selling those points to anyone last-minute since those people can't get any reservation in time either.

(As an example, with a June Use Year and a May reservation at SSR right now using 2019 points (not banked or borrowed or anything -- just normal 2019 points that expire at the end of May) -- if all of the Florida DVC resorts are closed for all of May, then it looks like that person is about to be out of luck unless Disney goes against what they've just said in the latest letter.)

So, for people in that situation... Maybe a last-minute trade into RCI makes sense for once? I mean, if I'm about to lose 50+ points anyhow, maybe paying the $95 and dumping them into RCI makes sense?

I guess I'm just looking for thoughts on this before I pursuit it further. If, hypothetically, Disney resorts remain closed through the month of May -- and my reservation is in May -- and those points expire at the end of May... Then does grabbing a few nights through RCI seem to make sense finally? Or do you recommend something else? (Again, this is all assuming that it happens and I call DVC and they stick to the letter of the law and decide that no one can get an exception to bank their 2019 points to 2020 after the already-passed deadline. I would try that first, of course, but assuming it doesn't work, I'm looking for my backup plan.)
Your plan makes sense to me - $95 seems like a small price to pay to extend the life of those points another two years. I also agree that it should be your backup plan - you should wait until you know the status of your May trip (i.e. whether or not the resorts will still be closed and whether or not you'll be allowed to bank) to take action; don't cancel now.

I have to wonder if DVC has a mechanism to clamp down on RCI trade, because the key word there is trade. If points go out, they have to make some Saratoga 1BRs or similar available to RCI, and if there is an inventory issue, even those (and/or OKW 1BR) may be in short supply.

I have to wonder if DVC has a mechanism to clamp down on RCI trade, because the key word there is trade. If points go out, they have to make some Saratoga 1BRs or similar available to RCI, and if there is an inventory issue, even those (and/or OKW 1BR) may be in short supply.
Interesting thought! DVC is known for posting availability to RCI less than six months in advance, so maybe they’ll post fewer villas and shorter lead time.

Interesting thought! DVC is known for posting availability to RCI less than six months in advance, so maybe they’ll post fewer villas and shorter lead time.

The issue I'm thinking of is more that if you, or I, or that guy thataway, put points INTO RCI, DVC has to put units BACK into RCI. It's a trading association. DVC can't just let you, me, dat guy, put points in, and not do something for RCI.

And if there are inventory issues on DVC's end, the trade breaks.

The issue I'm thinking of is more that if you, or I, or that guy thataway, put points INTO RCI, DVC has to put units BACK into RCI. It's a trading association. DVC can't just let you, me, dat guy, put points in, and not do something for RCI.

And if there are inventory issues on DVC's end, the trade breaks.
Yes, I agree. And we’ll never know the terms of the agreement between DVC and RCI. For the last couple of years DVC has been depositing almost exclusively 1 bedroom villas, predominantly at SSR. Some 1 bedrooms at OKW and AKL have been appearing during SSR renovations. So DVC is definitely not required to deposit a variety of villa sizes but there’s no way to know how many villas they have to deposit based on the number of DVC points DVC owners deposit to RCI.

(As an example, with a June Use Year and a banked or borrowed or anything -- just normal 201May reservation at SSR right now using 2019 points (not 9 points that expire at the end of May) -- if all of the Florida DVC resorts are closed for all of May, then it looks like that person is about to be out of luck unless Disney goes against what they've just said in the latest letter.)

This is me. At Poly though (june UY regular points end of May). And also at SSR and AKV with Aug UY borrowed points end of May to June. Trying to figure out what to do.

So we can put those points (even banked or borrowed or transferred?) into RCI for $95 and then have 2 years to book (or is it use) them? I have 165 points in these May June resies.

Last edited:
In to follow. I’m in a similar boat but May 2-9 trip at Boardwalk using June 2019 use year points. Banking deadline passed and really concerned this is going to extend into May. I’m a newb to DVC so I really didn’t expect this and don’t know what my options are. A bummer that DVC is being so strict (so far) about this points thing. I’ll be losing 200 points on this May trip =(

This is my first trip as a a DVC member. June use year, using 2019 pts to go 4/24-5/1. It seems criminal for Disney to cancel my trip and then not let me bank the points into 2020. Am I understanding correctly that we just lose all our points?

This is my first trip as a a DVC member. June use year, using 2019 pts to go 4/24-5/1. It seems criminal for Disney to cancel my trip and then not let me bank the points into 2020. Am I understanding correctly that we just lose all our points?
The way I am understanding is that they won't implement the holding thing but that they cannot alter any of the banking rules.

The way I am understanding is that they won't implement the holding thing but that they cannot alter any of the banking rules.
I heard that they were allowing people with 2019 points to bank into 2020, even if the normal banking deadline had passed, but were holding absolutely firm on not allowing 2018 points that had been banked into 2019 to be banked a second time into 2020. It is possible, though, that they might have decided to stop waiving the banking deadline.

I heard that they were allowing people with 2019 points to bank into 2020, even if the normal banking deadline had passed, but were holding absolutely firm on not allowing 2018 points that had been banked into 2019 to be banked a second time into 2020. It is possible, though, that they might have decided to stop waiving the banking deadline.

Yes, they have now revised things and are no longer allowing people to bank beyond the deadline and put borrowed points back.

I have a feeling the reason is because this is going on longer than they first though, realized they should have never opened that can of worms, and had to stop it so there were not catastrophic issues down the road,

It really has to be frustrating now for some members who know last week they were giving members these exceptions.

Unfortunately, if they done reverse the decision, then yes, you are in the position to loss them.

But, your trip is pretty close to when that new 8 week rule could be ending, assuming Disney announces closing for thst period, that maybe your trip will still go,

What are the RCI rules? Can you deposit any points (banked/borrowed/transferred)? Do they have to be non-restricted points? Then you have 2 years to use them?

What are the RCI rules? Can you deposit any points (banked/borrowed/transferred)? Do they have to be non-restricted points? Then you have 2 years to use them?

I have read on here before that people have deposited banked points.

Hello to everyone in the same boat that I am in! When is the last day you can put your points into RCI? I have a May dvc reservation date with points expiring May 31. If Disney announces that it is still closed in May, can I put those points into RCI right then, which is only a few weeks before they expire? The RCI website says that the $95 fee is waived for new bookings. So if I book at hotel night in Dec somewhere, is the $95 waived? I don't want to tie up DVC phone lines if someone here has the answer. Someone on another site said you had to put into RCI 45 days prior but I can't find info on that.

According to the RCI Disclosure Document (page 8, Deposit First section, #2), you can deposit points into RCI up to 14 days before they expire. However, if you don't deposit them by at least 45 days prior to expiration, there will be booking window restrictions for reserving RCI accommodations. I would imagine those last minute bookings aren't for the best properties, though.

I'm currently 50 days out. My GUESS is that things won't actually be open again in May based on the status of things in the USA right now, but that is just a guess. I'll give it a couple more days and then decide if I want to cancel early to be outside of that 45 day window that restricts the RCI side of things...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter