• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC Under 18 check in

I Love DVC

Aulani Ocean View May 2012!
I'm 17 and my parents are both DVC members. Is there anyway that I would be able to check into a DVC resort without them...even if they called up and made special reservations and I had their membership card?

I don't think so. You need to be 18.

you can call and see if they will make an exception for you. I would have my parents on the line too - so they can say you are a responsible adult not a child.

I'm 17 and my parents are both DVC members. Is there anyway that I would be able to check into a DVC resort without them...even if they called up and made special reservations and I had their membership card?

For liability purposes I believe there MUST be one adult (over the age of 18) checked into any room on property (DVC or not). You can call and check on that policy, and see if they will make an exception (they may need your parents to sign liability waivers, etc), but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Here is my situation and what I was recently told by MS:

We are planning an Easter '08 trip with a party of 9 - and have booked a 2 BR and a studio for me, DH, and a combination of teens ranging in age from 16-18 (my two sons and their friends). I put my name on the 2 BR and put my 18 year old's name on the studio. However, everyone in his room needs to be 18 or older; I could not include the boys who will still be 17 on that reservation. It still works out fine for us since four of the kids will be 18 and the rest will stay in the 2 BR with us.

The CM told me that 18 is the minimum age for checking in and everyone in the room needs to be 18 or older. 21 is the minumum for checking in with any minors staying in the room.

Unfortunately, I do not think you will be able to check in, even with your parents consent.

Here is my situation and what I was recently told by MS:

We are planning an Easter '08 trip with a party of 9 - and have booked a 2 BR and a studio for me, DH, and a combination of teens ranging in age from 16-18 (my two sons and their friends). I put my name on the 2 BR and put my 18 year old's name on the studio. However, everyone in his room needs to be 18 or older; I could not include the boys who will still be 17 on that reservation. It still works out fine for us since four of the kids will be 18 and the rest will stay in the 2 BR with us.

The CM told me that 18 is the minimum age for checking in and everyone in the room needs to be 18 or older. 21 is the minumum for checking in with any minors staying in the room.

Unfortunately, I do not think you will be able to check in, even with your parents consent.

That would be my understanding also. It really is a good policy too.

Ok I guess I'm out of luck then.... :(

hey I would go what I suggested - call MS with your parents and ask.

when I made Daniel's reservation he was 18. but his guests - one was 18, the other two were 14.

no one say a word - and they all checked in together. Again I as well as my DB (f to daniel) were prepared to step in if necessary. but it wasn't.

Has that CM ever been to Grad Night, Cheerleader Week, or any of the other billion Youth Trips?? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: I stayed in rooms with a bunch of teenagers many many times. Chorus Trip, Youth Group trip, Senior Trip, Band Trip. There would be one or two adults with a group of 10-20 high schoolers, and they did not ever share our room.

Has that CM ever been to Grad Night, Cheerleader Week, or any of the other billion Youth Trips?? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: I stayed in rooms with a bunch of teenagers many many times. Chorus Trip, Youth Group trip, Senior Trip, Band Trip. There would be one or two adults with a group of 10-20 high schoolers, and they did not ever share our room.
I think the requirement is one "adult "in each room.

I am not sure that the information presented previously above is correct. It certainly is as it applies to the Disney cruise lines requiring eighteen and to be 21 years old if there are any minors. I think one will find the that the requirement is simply eighteen years old. For those that are considering trading out, many time shares have a much higher check in requirement for age. 21, 23, any even 25 or common ages seen as a minimum for at least one person.

hey I would go what I suggested - call MS with your parents and ask.

when I made Daniel's reservation he was 18. but his guests - one was 18, the other two were 14.

no one say a word - and they all checked in together. Again I as well as my DB (f to daniel) were prepared to step in if necessary. but it wasn't.
Pat, I think this is one of the situations where a single answer from member services does not guarantee success. I could easily see one getting an okay through member services and then being denied check in at the front desk. In that circumstance, I would doubt Disney would make an exception no matter what member services had stated.

I'm just telling you what the CM told me. When I told her my son was 18, she refused to let me put anyone under 18 in his room, not even a 17 year old. It didn't even matter that we were also going along in a (hopefully) nearby room. Either that is the "official" rule that is often bent, or I had a misinformed CM, but that is exactly what I was told.

I'm just telling you what the CM told me. When I told her my son was 18, she refused to let me put anyone under 18 in his room, not even a 17 year old. It didn't even matter that we were also going along in a (hopefully) nearby room. Either that is the "official" rule that is often bent, or I had a misinformed CM, but that is exactly what I was told.

I truly was not trying to sound snarky - but I am somewhat mystified that Disney has this policy because there are so many huge teenage groups that do trips to WDW and stay at the all-stars. DH is a former youth minister, and I am a high school teacher and we've both been a part of group events sanctioned by and organized with WDW, and there was never a requirement of 1 chaperone per 3 teens. I wonder if they are more lax at the values or have sepaerate rules for group sales??? Or, perhaps they have changed the policy due to Pop Warner complaints?

I truly was not trying to sound snarky - but I am somewhat mystified that Disney has this policy because there are so many huge teenage groups that do trips to WDW and stay at the all-stars. DH is a former youth minister, and I am a high school teacher and we've both been a part of group events sanctioned by and organized with WDW, and there was never a requirement of 1 chaperone per 3 teens. I wonder if they are more lax at the values or have sepaerate rules for group sales??? Or, perhaps they have changed the policy due to Pop Warner complaints?

It doesn't make sense to me either, unless its DVC specific. Disney constantly has groups of teens down there where they don't have a 3 to 1 student/chaperone ratio. But it could be DVC specific, or they could have different policies for groups.

r have sepaerate rules for group sales???

I think the group sales are different.

the value resorts definitely have the rule. and they are quick to enforce it. they have even make parents stay in separate rooms - because they didn't request connecting rooms and they had more than 2 children.

that stated - my nephew had no problems. both I and his father were waiting to jump in - out in cars - we weren't there to make him feel he needed us.

he had no problems - and I would think even the CM can see a big difference in an 18 and 14 - my niece and her friend were 14.

He and they didn't have any problems at all.

Jerry got worried because they were taking a long time. but they simply had to wait in line then they went to see the room.

It doesn't make sense to me either, unless its DVC specific. Disney constantly has groups of teens down there where they don't have a 3 to 1 student/chaperone ratio. But it could be DVC specific, or they could have different policies for groups.

Maybe it's because teenagers are so much less likely to be rowdy and misbehave when they are in really large groups? :rotfl: :lmao: :rotfl: :lmao:

Maybe it's because teenagers are so much less likely to be rowdy and misbehave when they are in really large groups? :rotfl: :lmao: :rotfl: :lmao:

Oh, that has got to be it!!!!!

(I was in Orlando for a conference and stayed over at the Rosen Centre - a very nice hotel, btw. And shared my floor with about a zillion 17 year old girls. One night they were all chatting in the hallway about eleven pm while I was trying to sleep and I was really tempted to stick my head into the hall to say "he isn't that into you" because I could follow every detail of their conversation (details I'd prefer not to know) from inside my hotel room. And I hope I'm never it Disney for the cheerleading thing again).

:rotfl: I have gone out and joined the conversation along with "I realize you can't tell it but when you RUN by my room, it makes the whole room shake and my 1 year old is asleep. If you want her in your room screaming soon, that is fine by me...otherwise, please stop running and screaming. Thank you." The kind voice throws them lol

I would hesitate to be 17 and go all the way down to WDW with no back up plan for checking in. What would you do if the CM you were dealing with (and the manager if you called them) enforced the 18 rule?

Good luck.

I would hate to travel 500+ miles too find out I could not check into a room. 25miles would not be a problem, mom and dad could easily come to the rescue. But from out of state that would be a big problem with no place to stay!

I emailed MS to see what they had to say, and this is the response I received this morning:

"Per the front desk an 18 year old can reserve a room. As long as 1
person is 18 younger persons can stay in that room."

So, apparently the CM I spoke with when making my reservation was misinformed. Sorry for causing any confusion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter