DVDMC files amendments to separate use year from unit #

I'm honestly a little surprised they didn't do this one a long time ago. They effectively tied their own hands the way they structured it initially; this juts removes that unnecessary self-imposed limitation.

I don't think it's a big deal in and of itself, but it is just another example in a string of changes for their own benefit. So, in that context, it's another example of the company acting solely in their own self-interest. It is what it is. At this point nothing really surprises me. Disne in general can't even keep park bathrooms clean or serve edible food at some of the restaurants, so this one ranks pretty low in my book. And there are plenty of people wanting to buy into DVC direct at their absurd (IMHO) pricing, so that's on them if they want to pay the premium. I can't fault the company for meeting the demand.

No chance. This is just to make it easier for them to resell contracts.

Yes, and in truth, I doubt it will have any impact at all on members, except on being easier to do add-ons at the legacy resorts.

I agree that I look at changes with a large amount of cynicism now -- but does changing UY have any detrimental effects on the membership? Also -- what was the purpose of having different UYs to begin with? Why not just have everyone on a January UY and keep it simple?

Of all the things that have transpired, the most nefarious was the attempt to increase the lock-off premium, especially in the resorts where there are no dedicated studios and 1BRs. For resorts that had dedicated studios and 1BRs is was murkier, but increasing the lock-off premium was nothing but a money grab and was in poor taste.

I'm honestly a little surprised they didn't do this one a long time ago. They effectively tied their own hands the way they structured it initially; this juts removes that unnecessary self-imposed limitation.

I don't think it's a big deal in and of itself, but it is just another example in a string of changes for their own benefit. So, in that context, it's another example of the company acting solely in their own self-interest. It is what it is. At this point nothing really surprises me. Disne in general can't even keep park bathrooms clean or serve edible food at some of the restaurants, so this one ranks pretty low in my book. And there are plenty of people wanting to buy into DVC direct at their absurd (IMHO) pricing, so that's on them if they want to pay the premium. I can't fault the company for meeting the demand.

I kind of look at it as a win-win. Disney can more easily sell direct points and members that want to buy direct won't have to wait months to get their points. Seems like a good thing to me. Only thing I'm not sure about is if you change the UY, it would seem that Disney could skim some of the points to their advantage.

For instance -- you want a February UY (which is now 2019 points). They ROFR an August contract that has 2018 points. They repackage it as Feb and pocket the August 2018 points and convert the 2019 points to FEB.

And for those people who are worried that the bottom will drop out of the resale market, this should alleviate that fear somewhat. If DVC chooses to exercise ROFR more to fill demand, then resale prices should go up.

No chance. This is just to make it easier for them to resell contracts.

Yeah, I wasn't holding my breath that they would, but I thought the minor savings on CM's time might make it worth it form them.......... not US.

And for those people who are worried that the bottom will drop out of the resale market, this should alleviate that fear somewhat. If DVC chooses to exercise ROFR more to fill demand, then resale prices should go up.

This should also make it easier to figure out what the ROFR price will be for each resort.

Yeah, I wasn't holding my breath that they would, but I thought the minor savings on CM's time might make it worth it form them.......... not US.
except they pass the cost of CMs onto the members...so keeping those costs down isn't a big deal to them.

in fact -- since they get to keep a % of the MFs as a management fee -- the higher the fees, the MORE money flows to back to them. It's like an interior designer getting a commission on the price of the furniture purchased -- they have zero incentives to keep costs down.

For instance -- you want a February UY (which is now 2019 points). They ROFR an August contract that has 2018 points. They repackage it as Feb and pocket the August 2018 points and convert the 2019 points to FEB.

Not per the current amendment. (And that could be legally tricky, anyway.) It specifically says

"Use Year shall mean the twelve (12) month period beginning on the first day of the month designated by DVD in each purchase agreement selling an Ownership Interest to a Club Member and in each deed conveying an Ownership Interest to a Club Member."

So, they can only change it when they convey a new deed to a club member, not to themselves. Also, they can't change it in the deed when they buy it back via ROFR either because they're not a "Club Member".

Of all the things that have transpired, the most nefarious was the attempt to increase the lock-off premium, especially in the resorts where there are no dedicated studios and 1BRs. For resorts that had dedicated studios and 1BRs is was murkier, but increasing the lock-off premium was nothing but a money grab and was in poor taste.

I agree with that completely, especially increasing the cost of 1BRs. Fortunately, that was rolled back (for now at least).

I think Terri Schultz learned a lot more from Jim Lewis than anyone thought was possible.
Depends on whether she’s trying to create policies to show her bona fides or whether she’s implementing policies that were already decided upon before she took the job.

If the latter, I could be persuaded to have some sympathy. I’ve been in middle management trying to assuage the demands of upper management on one side and staff (clients, members) on the other.

It’s a thankless, hard squeeze between competing interests.

That said, the more management pushes in one place, the more a competent manager finds ways to accommodate staffs, clients, members in other ways. We haven’t seen much of that.

For example, if DVC is aligning UYs in its interest, what’s the harm in offering members an opportunity to align multiple UY contracts under one UY/member ID?

Depends on whether she’s trying to create policies to show her bona fides or whether she’s implementing policies that were already decided upon before she took the job.

If the latter, I could be persuaded to have some sympathy. I’ve been in middle management trying to assuage the demands of upper management on one side and staff (clients, members) on the other.

That said, the more management pushes in one place, the more a competent manager finds ways to accommodate staffs, clients, members in other ways. We haven’t seen much of that.

For example, if DVC is aligning UYs in its interest, what’s the harm in offering members an opportunity to align multiple UY contracts under one UY/member ID?
There are 6.7 million Riviera points to sell. Alienating members and selling all those points at what will need to be a record pace doesn’t seem like a great plan.

I predict that within the year, DVC will be backtracking, not on policy, but in this image that they’re now fostering that they don’t give a damn about current membership.

“Friends, countrymen, DVC members, let us unite in the spirit of our better angels and forget this difficult time. Here, have a magnet. . .”

It just concerns me that it seems as though Disney will try to do anything they can in the future to devalue resale. Even the resale contracts already bought. Will they stop grandfathering in those who buy in before new/future restrictions are in place? I feel like they would absolutely love to limit all resale contracts to just being able to stay at your home resort in the future. This is the one thing that makes me think.

There's just a very definite feel coming from the DVC management offices that matches up to the way it was under Jim Lewis. Actions and responses are similar.

I keep expecting Dee Vee Cee to show up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter