DW gal does DL - just back!

Skjhjb

DIS Veteran
We had an amazing time - we did DL for 3 days (with a one day interruption of a Hollywood/Warner Bros tour day) and then another week driving the beautiful California coast.

My thoughts on DL? LOVED it!

DLH was great!!! We checked in - I had booked through a friend who is a TA, and booked a standard room. When we were checking in she said something about Deluxe - so we may have had some pixie dust there. We had planned to get a car after DL, but checked rates, and ended up only being $20 more for our rental to have it early, so we picked up at the airport instead. It was on our reservation that it was my 50th and our 25th Anniversary - so they didn't charge us for parking. Pixie dust!! Our room was in Adventure Tower, overlooking the pool. And when we got to our room? AMAZING!!

Totally wasn't expecting that!! There were chocolates tucked in there too!

We'd had a super long day (up at 3am Ontario/Canada time yet it was only 3pm California time) so we went to Downtown Disney to wander and check things out. We lasted until 6:30 and called it a night LOL.

Some thoughts from a first time gal:

1) On property was amazing - we did have to move off site on the Friday night and walk back on Saturday for our last day, which wasn't bad at all. But after 3 nights at DLH, off site wasn't as thrilling lol.
2)MaxPass - LOVE it - so easy to get the hang of and use!!
3)Early Mornings - with ALL the reading and research I did for this trip, somehow I missed that only Tomorrowland and Fantasyland (and yet no Small World running either) were open at DLP. Kinda disappointed with that - we'd done DCA the first morning and really got to do a lot more.
4)Costs - we do like to have drinks. We were looking forward to fun drinks at a few places - Trader Sam's, pool side, and of course, Dole Whip with rum. But man! Every time - two drinks and it was $30 with tip. That's a bit much if you ask me. Enjoyed them all, but man they have you with those prices!
5)Food - we can't complain about anything really, we enjoyed every meal we had. Steakhouse 55 was our big splurge, and it was fantastic. WoC Dessert Party was absolutely worth the splurge for the seat!!

All in all it was so great. We decided we preferred DCA to DLP, Radiator Springs was hands down our favourite ride! I did bail on the 6am Power Walk I had registered, but was SO sore from walking the day before, even though I was already up (thank you 3 hour time difference) I just didn't have it in me. But I was thankful I had packed my fancy running shoes - they ended up being great for walking in.

Thanks to all for the tips and advice and help with planning. Maybe someday I'll get to go again!!

My husband and I got a similar bed treatment at PPH when we were staying there for our 5th wedding anniversary and mentioned it at the front desk when checking in. We had reservations at Steakhouse 55 that night and they did the rose petals on the bed thing while we were at dinner, so they *had* to have cross referenced our names to know when we were gone from the room.

It really tickled us.

Glad to hear you had a great time! I love the smaller, more intimate feeling at DLR.

So glad you had a great trip! We went on our 1st DL trip this past July and are totally in love with it...just as we are with WDW!

I also live in Ontario now (but originally a West coast gal), and I will always love DL. We are going there in May (my 50th will be next June).

What a wonderful celebration trip! So glad your research here paid off. :) If you get another trip to DLR, come on back for your trip planning -- we'll be here to help!

Glad you had a wonderful time. Thanks for the feedback.

Hope we have just as good a time in 2w 6d (but who’s counting :-)). After 5 days at the GCH we are going up to Yosemite and back over the next 3 weeks. (We have to make it count after a 12hr flight from Australia).

WDW vet. Been 50+ times. Lost the magic for me on our last trip. Had our 1st Disneyland trip last year and going back in April for 7 nights at the Grand Californian and I'm practically wetting myself with anticipation! I feel so bad for people who "don't bother" with Disneyland because WDW is bigger. Yes, I love Animal Kingdom and love some of the dining locations at WDW, but no place is like Disneyland. Magic Kingdom will always be my home park, but on our 1st trip to Disneyland I truly felt m ore comfortable in that park than anywhere else.

Sounds like a great time!! I loooooved DLH when we stayed there a few years ago but unfortunately this time can't justify the price. But I'm happy to look at the glass half full side that a) I'll be at DLR and b) our hotel is actually closer this time lol. Will be a much longer trek from Trader Sam's though hahaha.

Happy birthday and anniversary!

WDW vet. Been 50+ times. Lost the magic for me on our last trip. Had our 1st Disneyland trip last year and going back in April for 7 nights at the Grand Californian and I'm practically wetting myself with anticipation! I feel so bad for people who "don't bother" with Disneyland because WDW is bigger. Yes, I love Animal Kingdom and love some of the dining locations at WDW, but no place is like Disneyland. Magic Kingdom will always be my home park, but on our 1st trip to Disneyland I truly felt m ore comfortable in that park than anywhere else.

I love DL so much more than WDW. You will have a great time in April! We are going in May. So excited since I haven't been to DL since May 2016. Used to go more frequently when I lived in Victoria, BC (where I was from), but living in Ottawa makes WDW more convenient location for us...but I don't like it nearly as much. I'm thinking of concentrating more on Universal for our Orlando trips (with a couple of after hours parties at WDW thrown in since I can avoid the dreaded Fastpass+ system at those).

Happy to hear about your wonderful stay. Staying at the DLH or the Grand is always a treat! ::yes::
Pixie Dust :tink:is always an Extra Treat pixiedust:

4)Costs - we do like to have drinks. We were looking forward to fun drinks at a few places - Trader Sam's, pool side, and of course, Dole Whip with rum. But man! Every time - two drinks and it was $30 with tip. That's a bit much if you ask me. Enjoyed them all, but man they have you with those prices!

Hah! We just got back from Maui and those drink prices are pretty standard for the Islands. We just need to adjust our expectations. Glad you had a great trip. Next year we are going on or around our 49th anniversary. I'll be sure to let them know.

We had an amazing time - we did DL for 3 days (with a one day interruption of a Hollywood/Warner Bros tour day) and then another week driving the beautiful California coast.

My thoughts on DL? LOVED it!

DLH was great!!! We checked in - I had booked through a friend who is a TA, and booked a standard room. When we were checking in she said something about Deluxe - so we may have had some pixie dust there. We had planned to get a car after DL, but checked rates, and ended up only being $20 more for our rental to have it early, so we picked up at the airport instead. It was on our reservation that it was my 50th and our 25th Anniversary - so they didn't charge us for parking. Pixie dust!! Our room was in Adventure Tower, overlooking the pool. And when we got to our room? AMAZING!!

View attachment 442241

Totally wasn't expecting that!! There were chocolates tucked in there too!

We'd had a super long day (up at 3am Ontario/Canada time yet it was only 3pm California time) so we went to Downtown Disney to wander and check things out. We lasted until 6:30 and called it a night LOL.

Some thoughts from a first time gal:

1) On property was amazing - we did have to move off site on the Friday night and walk back on Saturday for our last day, which wasn't bad at all. But after 3 nights at DLH, off site wasn't as thrilling lol.
2)MaxPass - LOVE it - so easy to get the hang of and use!!
3)Early Mornings - with ALL the reading and research I did for this trip, somehow I missed that only Tomorrowland and Fantasyland (and yet no Small World running either) were open at DLP. Kinda disappointed with that - we'd done DCA the first morning and really got to do a lot more.
5)Food - we can't complain about anything really, we enjoyed every meal we had. Steakhouse 55 was our big splurge, and it was fantastic. WoC Dessert Party was absolutely worth the splurge for the seat!!

All in all it was so great. We decided we preferred DCA to DLP, Radiator Springs was hands down our favourite ride! I did bail on the 6am Power Walk I had registered, but was SO sore from walking the day before, even though I was already up (thank you 3 hour time difference) I just didn't have it in me. But I was thankful I had packed my fancy running shoes - they ended up being great for walking in.

Thanks to all for the tips and advice and help with planning. Maybe someday I'll get to go again!!
Hi.

We are looking to do DL for the first time next year and we are a DW family. We want to do the Warner Bros Tour/Hollywood one day thing. Did you switch to another hotel to be closer or did you stay at DLH hotel? If you stayed at DLH, how far away is the Warner Bros Tour/Hollywood from DL? Thanks

Hi.

We are looking to do DL for the first time next year and we are a DW family. We want to do the Warner Bros Tour/Hollywood one day thing. Did you switch to another hotel to be closer or did you stay at DLH hotel? If you stayed at DLH, how far away is the Warner Bros Tour/Hollywood from DL? Thanks

Hollywood is under an hour from Anaheim. I wouldn't bother switching hotels for that.

Hi.

So our original plan was staying at DLH for Tuesday to Friday, doing Disney parks Wed-Fri. Then we were moving off-site to Best WEstern Pavillion, and doing the tour Saturday. We booked with Anaheim Tour Company - they pick you up right at your Anaheim hotel (their list is super long of hotels they work with) - and drop you off end of day. But we were the only two registered for Saturday, so we had to move the tour to Friday. So they picked us up at DLH on Friday morning, dropped us off there after the tour, and we moved over to BW for Friday night to SUnday. We walked to the parks Saturday for our last ticket day.

So our original plan was staying at DLH for Tuesday to Friday, doing Disney parks Wed-Fri. Then we were moving off-site to Best WEstern Pavillion, and doing the tour Saturday. We booked with Anaheim Tour Company - they pick you up right at your Anaheim hotel (their list is super long of hotels they work with) - and drop you off end of day. But we were the only two registered for Saturday, so we had to move the tour to Friday. So they picked us up at DLH on Friday morning, dropped us off there after the tour, and we moved over to BW for Friday night to SUnday. We walked to the parks Saturday for our last ticket day.
oh awesome. Thats very convenient.
We are probably going end up staying at one of the good neighbor hotels. I been reading about them slowly. I want one that is across the street or close. I dont want to have to use the art or any bus transportation. Its 2 adults and a 16 year old.
Was the one you stayed at Best Western Park Place? How was that? Thanks

oh awesome. Thats very convenient.
We are probably going end up staying at one of the good neighbor hotels. I been reading about them slowly. I want one that is across the street or close. I dont want to have to use the art or any bus transportation. Its 2 adults and a 16 year old.
Was the one you stayed at Best Western Park Place? How was that? Thanks

We stayed at Best Western Pavillions - it was nice, comfortable, but a good 15 minute walk for sure. Possibly closer to 20, we walk fairly fast. But we left Saturday afternoon for a break, and as much as I wanted to walk back for fireworks, the walk at the end back to the hotel stopped me. We could see them from our room though, so that helped a bit! There was a Best Western a bit closer, I'm not sure which one that is though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter