E-pass transponder not working

Do the rental companies have their own transponder on the cars? And the toll booth read that one and not yours?
Some do, some don't. For those that do, there's a cover that you slide over to block the transponder so it can't be read.

Some do, some don't. For those that do, there's a cover that you slide over to block the transponder so it can't be read.
One of the sleazy, cheap off airport rental agencies glues the transponder to the windshield. If you don't want to pay $$$ to use agencies toll program you have to pay.$250 to have rental agencies transponder removed.

Sounds like rental agency might have had.a transponder in the car

I don't know if the toll bill has enough info to know, or.a way to contact toll authority to find out was it billed by plate or transponder

We rented from Alamo and they had the transponder in the car but we definitely left the cover slide over it. We almost always rent from Alamo and have never had this issue.

We didn't pursue it with Alamo since it was only $7 and wasn't worth our time.

We rented from Alamo and they had the transponder in the car but we definitely left the cover slide over it. We almost always rent from Alamo and have never had this issue.

Did you mount your epasss as Directed? If yes contact epass, explain what happened and ask them to replace the transponder.
If no, assume instructions on the need to mount are correct.

Its possible reader was out at your toll. Sounds like rental company was billed by plate number

In all of our rentals with Alamo in Orlando, I have never seen them having their own transponder in the car.

Florida now has a Sun pass PRO which works in the northeast corridor as well as Florida. It's a portable with suction cups. Just finally cancelled my EZpass which I've been maintaining for years even though I'm a Florida resident. The EZpass has a fee, the Sun pass PRO doesn't.

Yes, this! I live in Fl but travel to the Northeast-actually had an EZPass from Ma for years and a Sunpass, I got rid of EZPass and now just have SunPass Pro. I find the SunPass website much easier to navigate than the EZPass Ma one was. I have the suction cup one too. I've never had a problem with Sunpass no weird charges or anything and I use it daily on my commute!

You don't have to live in FL to have a SunPass. They sell them lots of places, got mine at Publix. I *think* you can re load them at some places too if you don't want to link a credit card.

In all of our rentals with Alamo in Orlando, I have never seen them having their own transponder in the car.

This was a first for us. We didn't have it on our trip last February but this one in November we did. Maybe they are newly installing them?

Really? We rent exclusively with Alamo over the past 3, 4 years and every single car has the big old transponder that you can slide open/closed. Never ever had one without. It's big and pretty impossible to miss

This was a first for us. We didn't have it on our trip last February but this one in November we did. Maybe they are newly installing them?
Or you've always gotten cars that are tagged to another state other than Florida. I know the rental we made from here locally didn't have a transponder but it was tagged locally. We don't have toll roads here so didn't expect to see it. All of our Florida based rentals do, but we have not gotten a car with a different states tag when in Florida.

Resurrecting an old thread rather than starting a similar new one.

My last two visits my SunPass transponder has had issues - in January about half of my passes through the toll plazas on 417 didn't register. And on my trip last week none of them did. I can think of two possibilities:
1 - after six or seven years, the transponder is just worn out
2 - because I hadn't used it since pre-Covid, I forgot and mounted it in the lower corner of my windshield instead of right under the rear-view mirror. Is this incorrect placement enough to cause a mis-read?
Even though I registered my rental license plate in the SunPass app, the system still didn't pick it up as an existing account and instead I get the Dollar fee (full-rate toll charge plus $20).

I'm thinking I should just go with VTP in the future but if simply mounting the transponder in the right place will fix the problem, that's more convenient.
Thanx for any experience here.

Resurrecting an old thread rather than starting a similar new one.

My last two visits my SunPass transponder has had issues - in January about half of my passes through the toll plazas on 417 didn't register. And on my trip last week none of them did. I can think of two possibilities:
1 - after six or seven years, the transponder is just worn out
2 - because I hadn't used it since pre-Covid, I forgot and mounted it in the lower corner of my windshield instead of right under the rear-view mirror. Is this incorrect placement enough to cause a mis-read?
Even though I registered my rental license plate in the SunPass app, the system still didn't pick it up as an existing account and instead I get the Dollar fee (full-rate toll charge plus $20).

I'm thinking I should just go with VTP in the future but if simply mounting the transponder in the right place will fix the problem, that's more convenient.
Thanx for any experience here.

I would definitely call SunPass. They were able to check for me that my transponder was ok. They were also able to see that my particular problem was in my app and they were able to correct it over the phone. They were very helpful and I was surprised how much they could fix just in a phone call.

In my case they were able to verify the toll did get charged to my account and I was able to get a refund from the rental car company.

Well this morning two of my four tolls appeared on my account, six days later. And the people at Dollar offered to cut the penalty in half. I requested that they also remove the two tolls from the amount I'll be charged in a couple weeks.
Who knows, maybe the other two tolls will show up some time in April and I can get a refund of the remainder.
Thanks for your suggestion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter