Early October in Disneyland?

freckles04

DIS Veteran
Hi guys, my name is Emily and I'm a single mom to my DS10. We are WDW "vets" but have never been to Disneyland (or California, for that matter), and that is now our destination for 2015. I'm still in the early stages for planning and obviously picking a date is important.

We typically visit WDW over fall break and while it's hot with moderate crowds, we enjoy it. If next year's school calendar follows historical patterns then fall break 2015 will be Monday October 5 - Friday October 9. Can anyone chime in on what this week might be like at DLR in terms of crowds and weather?

My DS will be going into the 6th grade and I feel it's important not to miss school, so our other options would be spring break (March 30-April 6) or summer (late May, June, and July for us). Winter Break won't work because I can't request off work during that time of year.

So out of those choices, which is best?

Thanks for any help!

(Side note: I'm thinking of writing a PTR in the Trip Reports forum where I can ask all my newbie questions in one thread without flooding this board! Is that acceptable?)

I'd go for the dates in october : crowds are better than summer or spring break crowds, that's for sure! October weather is perfect : hot in the day, great at night (might need a jacket). And most of all : Halloween Time!!! You might even be able to do Mickey's Halloween Party!

We've been to Disneyland in September, October and July and by far, October was our favorite!

Thanks for your input! I think the Halloween party would be something that we'd like to do. We always do MNSSHP at WDW. I'm a little sad that Disneyland doesn't have the Boo to You parade, though! :)

Your dates sound ideal for an October trip. We're in the same boat and usually travel during our school district's fall break in October. Take a look at the Halloween Super Thread as SherryE does a great job updating it and posting tons of info regarding Halloweentime at DLR but also what to expect during Sept-Oct. October is a busy time at DLR typically, not just with Halloweentime but also other events as well. Gay Days is usually held the first weekend of October (Fri-Sun) and brings in heavier than average crowds to the parks that weekend. I don't know the exact schedule for 2015 but if history holds true you'll arrive afterwards (my guess is that it will be held Oct 2-4). The CHOC Walk (charity event for the Children's Hospital of Orange County) is usually held on a Sunday in early to mid October and can bring in heavy crowds on the day of the event, but if you're planning on being in the parks M-F you'll miss that as well. You'll also miss Columbus Day weekend (although Columbus Day is on Oct 12 next year so you might experience heavier than average crowds on your Friday as folks may be gearing up for a 4 day weekend). The only other thing that may bring in heavier crowds (other than other school district's fall breaks) is the week when the UEA (Utah Education Association) has their break for their annual conference. The conference isn't at DLR, but Utah schools are out (I believe they're off Th-Fri) but crowds during this week are heavier than average. But this usually occurs in mid October so you should be fine. All in all, even with so many things going on in October, out of the dates you've indicated, I would personally pick October (to avoid summer crowds and potential spring break crowds (although your spring break dates are relatively late, so crowds may not be too bad in the first week of April), and to enjoy the festivities of Halloweentime especially), and if I had to pick a week in October to visit it would be the M-F that you're planning on going.

DL in October is not anything like WDW in October. We have done both. Personally I liked DL in July, something I would never consider in WDW. Shorter hours and massive crowds with specialized events make it very crowded. In October. Often rides are down too when it seems summer has more going on and you can hit midweek and still see fireworks etc. regardless of when you go though you will love it!!

Early October can be a busy time and decreased hours over all and for special events can also make for short days. I believe Arizona's fall break falls that same week historically with Utah's the following week. Both of those breaks increase crowds at the park.

That being said, I believe fall break is better than spring break. We just got back (went the week after Utah's break this year) and the weather was fabulous and the MHP was so much fun.

...If next year's school calendar follows historical patterns then fall break 2015 will be Monday October 5 - Friday October 9. Can anyone chime in on what this week might be like at DLR in terms of crowds and weather?
I have visited during the first week of October the past 3 years. The weather is generally quite warm, but this year was a heat wave (over 100 several days).
If you plan to stay onsite, register for Gay Days email alerts. Gay Days has some of the lowest hotel rates. Your DS10 would likely love the DLH pools, although I prefer GCH.

Extra cost Halloween Parties are every Friday and either Tuesday or Monday and Wednesday. You will easily be able to attend one.

Fantasmic! at DL is a "must see", and better than the DHS version. Shows will only be on Saturday and Sunday.

World of Color is performed every night.

We had our first trip this year, Sep 28-Oct 1st. The weather was about 85ish most of the week. We enjoyed all the Halloween decor and snacks! Would definitely go at this time again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter